2 MTA at the same host

Konstantin
Hello Guys

I need to install postfix and exim at the same Gentoo server.
I know it is unusual configuration ).
I have both MTA running at CentOS and trying to migrate to Gentoo.

Current error message for "emerge -pv exim" is:
[blocks B      ] mail-mta/exim ("mail-mta/exim" is blocking mail-mta/postfix-3.1.0-r1)

Total: 2 packages (2 new), Size of downloads: 1,763 KiB
Conflict: 1 block (1 unsatisfied)

 * Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
 * installed at the same time on the same system.

  (mail-mta/postfix-3.1.0-r1:0/0::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    mail-mta/postfix required by @selected

  (mail-mta/exim-4.87:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    exim

What i need to change in ebuild files of these packages in order to install both of them ?

Thanks.

This message was delivered using 100% recycled electrons.

Re: 2 MTA at the same host

Azamat Hackimov
Hello.

You know, this is very unusual configuration. I don't even can imagine why you need both of them.
In order to resolve mutual block, you need to remove "!mail-mta/postfix" and "!mail-mta/exim" strings from RDEPEND in both packages. Don't forget to place modified ebuilds to local overlay.

From Siberia with Love!

Re: 2 MTA at the same host

Neil Bothwick
On Mon, 8 Aug 2016 15:40:45 +0500, Azamat Hackimov wrote:

Please don't top-post.

> You know, this is very unusual configuration. I don't even can imagine
> why you need both of them.
> In order to resolve mutual block, you need to remove "!mail-mta/postfix"
> and "!mail-mta/exim" strings from RDEPEND in both packages. Don't
> forget to place modified ebuilds to local overlay.

That's not enough. Both ebuilds install sendmail, so you'll also have to
deal with file collisions, or modify one of the ebuild to not install
sendmail. The latter is probably the better option.

Another approach would be to run one of these MTAs in a container, which
would avoid all these shenanigans.

> > Hello Guys
> >
> > I need to install postfix and exim at the same Gentoo server.
> > I know it is unusual configuration ).
> > I have both MTA running at CentOS and trying to migrate to Gentoo.
> >
> > Current error message for "emerge -pv exim" is:
> > [blocks B      ] mail-mta/exim ("mail-mta/exim" is blocking
> > mail-mta/postfix-3.1.0-r1)
> >
> > Total: 2 packages (2 new), Size of downloads: 1,763 KiB
> > Conflict: 1 block (1 unsatisfied)
> >
> >  * Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
> >  * installed at the same time on the same system.
> >
> >   (mail-mta/postfix-3.1.0-r1:0/0::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
> >     mail-mta/postfix required by @selected
> >
> >   (mail-mta/exim-4.87:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled
> > in by
> >     exim
> >
> > What i need to change in ebuild files of these packages in order to
> > install both of them ?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > --
> > *This message was delivered using 100% recycled electrons*.

--
Neil Bothwick

Top Oxymorons Number 10: Computer security

Re: 2 MTA at the same host

Alan McKinnon-2
On 08/08/2016 12:29, Konstantin wrote:
> Hello Guys
>
> I need to install postfix and exim at the same Gentoo server.

Why?

You either have them running on different ports (mighty unusual) or,
more likely or different NICs.

So put them on two different machines. Hardware is dirt cheap and unless
you are a huge corporate an average Samsung S5 phone can fill most mail
needs. Or as Neil suggested, make one machine a VM

> I know it is unusual configuration ).
> I have both MTA running at CentOS and trying to migrate to Gentoo.
>
> Current error message for "emerge -pv exim" is:
> [blocks B      ] mail-mta/exim ("mail-mta/exim" is blocking
> mail-mta/postfix-3.1.0-r1)
>
> Total: 2 packages (2 new), Size of downloads: 1,763 KiB
> Conflict: 1 block (1 unsatisfied)
>
>  * Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
>  * installed at the same time on the same system.
>
>   (mail-mta/postfix-3.1.0-r1:0/0::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
>     mail-mta/postfix required by @selected
>
>   (mail-mta/exim-4.87:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
>     exim
>
> What i need to change in ebuild files of these packages in order to
> install both of them ?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> *This message was delivered using 100% recycledelectrons***.

--
Alan McKinnon

Re: 2 MTA at the same host

Michael Mol
On Monday, August 08, 2016 06:55:40 PM Alan McKinnon wrote:

> On 08/08/2016 12:29, Konstantin wrote:
> > Hello Guys
> >
> > I need to install postfix and exim at the same Gentoo server.
>
> Why?
>
> You either have them running on different ports (mighty unusual) or,
> more likely or different NICs.
>
> So put them on two different machines. Hardware is dirt cheap and unless
> you are a huge corporate an average Samsung S5 phone can fill most mail
> needs. Or as Neil suggested, make one machine a VM
Hardware is cheap, but electricity adds up and more than makes up for it.

I agree with Neil, though; virtualization is in order in this circumstance.
MTAs are very much not designed to be clever enough to coexist on the same
host.

A better solution still would likely be figuring out why 2 MTAs are necessary
and figure out how to configure a single MTA to handle the role of both, if at
all possible.

--
:wq

Re: 2 MTA at the same host

Tom H-4
On Mon, Aug 8, 2016 at 7:56 AM, Neil Bothwick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Aug 2016 15:40:45 +0500, Azamat Hackimov wrote:
>>
>> You know, this is very unusual configuration. I don't even can imagine
>> why you need both of them.
>>
>> In order to resolve mutual block, you need to remove "!mail-mta/postfix"
>> and "!mail-mta/exim" strings from RDEPEND in both packages. Don't
>> forget to place modified ebuilds to local overlay.
>
> That's not enough. Both ebuilds install sendmail, so you'll also have to
> deal with file collisions, or modify one of the ebuild to not install
> sendmail. The latter is probably the better option.

On RHEL, if you co-install sendmail and postfix (exim isn't in the
regular repo; it must be in EPEL since it's in Fedora), /sbin/sendmail
is a symlink to /etc/alternatives/mta and /etc/alternatives/mta is a
symlink to /sbin/sendmail.sendmail or /sbin/sendmail.postfix, with a
similar setup for the sendmail man page. But their startup
scripts/units conflict and have to be modified to be co-runnable.

Re: 2 MTA at the same host

tanstaafl-2
On 8/8/2016 1:16 PM, Michael Mol <[hidden email]> wrote:
> A better solution still would likely be figuring out why 2 MTAs are necessary
> and figure out how to configure a single MTA to handle the role of both, if at
> all possible.

And with Postfix's muli instance support it would be trivial - if indeed
that there isn't a very good reason that they are both really needed for
some as yet unknown reason.

OP: it is always best to initially state your actual problem, then you
can start asking questions about how to implement what you may have
decided is the best or only solution.

Re: 2 MTA at the same host

Konstantin
I had to remove "!mail-mta/sendmail", "!mail-mta/postfix" and "!mail-mta/exim" in order to install exim as second MTA.

Thanks everyone for the help!