ARGH I uninstalled python

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
52 messages Options
123
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

ARGH I uninstalled python

Jon Hardcastle

I was trying to do a emerge --update ask world and it kept failing on updating python-updater and it was tripping over the python install.... soooooo i did the 'sensible' thing and unemerged python. NOW I REALISE THAT PYTHON IS INTEGRAL TO emerge.

Can i fix this????

Also, perhaps some more warnings?!? the warning message was the standard one.. which i ignored thinking i could just reinstall it immediately.

No joy!


-----------------------
N: Jon Hardcastle
E: [hidden email]
'Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring worries of its own.'

Please sponsor me for the London to Brighton 2009.
Just Giving: http://www.justgiving.com/jonathanhardcastle
-----------------------




Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ARGH I uninstalled python

Michal Sroka
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Download python package from internet and install it manually.
Afterwards, when emerge get functional re-emerge python.

... I used this way, when it happened to me ...

Michal

Jon Hardcastle wrote:

> I was trying to do a emerge --update ask world and it kept failing on updating python-updater and it was tripping over the python install.... soooooo i did the 'sensible' thing and unemerged python. NOW I REALISE THAT PYTHON IS INTEGRAL TO emerge.
>
> Can i fix this????
>
> Also, perhaps some more warnings?!? the warning message was the standard one.. which i ignored thinking i could just reinstall it immediately.
>
> No joy!
>
>
> -----------------------
> N: Jon Hardcastle
> E: [hidden email]
> 'Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring worries of its own.'
>
> Please sponsor me for the London to Brighton 2009.
> Just Giving: http://www.justgiving.com/jonathanhardcastle
> -----------------------
>
>
>      
>
>
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.11 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iEYEARECAAYFAkoXMXwACgkQUwc9usbfIiWDVgCfZHvyfED084UHMLzIZuGWTwHG
3NQAnR4XBO2yhXhpzRC4Qo7ZJdjQfUf0
=Y+KO
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ARGH I uninstalled python

Dale-46
In reply to this post by Jon Hardcastle
Jon Hardcastle wrote:

> I was trying to do a emerge --update ask world and it kept failing on updating python-updater and it was tripping over the python install.... soooooo i did the 'sensible' thing and unemerged python. NOW I REALISE THAT PYTHON IS INTEGRAL TO emerge.
>
> Can i fix this????
>
> Also, perhaps some more warnings?!? the warning message was the standard one.. which i ignored thinking i could just reinstall it immediately.
>
> No joy!
>
>
> -----------------------
> N: Jon Hardcastle
> E: [hidden email]
> 'Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring worries of its own.'
>
> Please sponsor me for the London to Brighton 2009.
> Just Giving: http://www.justgiving.com/jonathanhardcastle
> -----------------------
>
>
>      
>
>
>  

Do you keep a binary copy in /usr/portage/packages/All/ by any chance?
This is done by setting the FEATURES= in make.conf.

If not, I think they keep a binary package on Gentoo somewhere.  There
may be other places as well.

If all else fails and you happen to have a system that is compatible
with mine, I could send you mine.  :-)

Dale

:-)  :-)

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ARGH I uninstalled python

Jon Hardcastle
In reply to this post by Jon Hardcastle

--- On Sat, 23/5/09, Michal Sroka <[hidden email]> wrote:

> From: Michal Sroka <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ARGH I uninstalled python
> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Saturday, 23 May, 2009, 12:13 AM
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> Download python package from internet and install it
> manually.
> Afterwards, when emerge get functional re-emerge python.
>
> ... I used this way, when it happened to me ...
>
> Michal
>
> Jon Hardcastle wrote:
> > I was trying to do a emerge --update ask world and it
> kept failing on updating python-updater and it was tripping
> over the python install.... soooooo i did the 'sensible'
> thing and unemerged python. NOW I REALISE THAT PYTHON IS
> INTEGRAL TO emerge.
> >
> > Can i fix this????
> >
> > Also, perhaps some more warnings?!? the warning
> message was the standard one.. which i ignored thinking i
> could just reinstall it immediately.
> >
> > No joy!
> >
> >
> > -----------------------
> > N: Jon Hardcastle
> > E: [hidden email]
> > 'Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring
> worries of its own.'
> >
> > Please sponsor me for the London to Brighton 2009.
> > Just Giving: http://www.justgiving.com/jonathanhardcastle
> > -----------------------
> >
> >
> >       
> >
> >
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: GnuPG v2.0.11 (GNU/Linux)
> Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org
>
> iEYEARECAAYFAkoXMXwACgkQUwc9usbfIiWDVgCfZHvyfED084UHMLzIZuGWTwHG
> 3NQAnR4XBO2yhXhpzRC4Qo7ZJdjQfUf0
> =Y+KO
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
>
>

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I followed this

http://blogs.pwmn.net/korkakak/2008/06/04/gentoo-i-unmerged-python-now-what

which worked - in the end. couple of caveats tho for anyone 'that follows' get python from their site as the ftp link in this article is out of date.

http://www.python.org/download/releases/

also I initially tried 3.01 and that didn't work so i installed 2.6.2 which worked 'out of the box' i then tested with 'emerge' and am now running 'emerge -va python'

Cheers guys!

Thanks to Dale too!


-----------------------
N: Jon Hardcastle
E: [hidden email]
'Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring worries of its own.'

Please sponsor me for the London to Brighton 2009.
Just Giving: http://www.justgiving.com/jonathanhardcastle
-----------------------




Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ARGH I uninstalled python

Dale-46
Jon Hardcastle wrote:

>>

> Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

> I followed this

> http://blogs.pwmn.net/korkakak/2008/06/04/gentoo-i-unmerged-python-now-what

> which worked - in the end. couple of caveats tho for anyone 'that
follows' get python from their site as the ftp link in this article is
out of date.

> http://www.python.org/download/releases/

> also I initially tried 3.01 and that didn't work so i installed 2.6.2
which worked 'out of the box' i then tested with 'emerge' and am now
running 'emerge -va python'

> Cheers guys!

> Thanks to Dale too!


You may want to look into that setting for next time.  I did however
notice that although python is in the system set, it is not saving a
copy for some reason.  Anybody know why this setting is not working?

FEATURES="--keep-going buildsyspkg sandbox fixpackages"

Is the buildsyspkg option not valid anymore?

Dale

:-)  :-)


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ARGH I uninstalled python

Arttu V.-2
Dale wrote:
 > You may want to look into that setting for next time.  I did however
 > notice that although python is in the system set, it is not saving a
 > copy for some reason.  Anybody know why this setting is not working?
 >
 > FEATURES="--keep-going buildsyspkg sandbox fixpackages"
 >
 > Is the buildsyspkg option not valid anymore?

http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo-x86/profiles/base/packages?r1=1.40&r2=1.41

Python appears to be gone from the base system? Or maybe I'm looking at
the wrong file? Anyway, 'emerge -pv @system | grep python' would seem to
agree here.

Now I don't have a PhD in Gentoo Package Manglement (barely passed the
kindergarten level so far?), but that commit looks rather unsettling for
other parts as well. Are the devs switching over to paludis in droves?
Or why is sys-apps/portage commented out as well? Why is it replaced by
the hard-coded ("old-style"?) virtual/portage?

--
Arttu V.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ARGH I uninstalled python

Jorge Morais-3
In reply to this post by Jon Hardcastle
> Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
>
> I followed this
>
> http://blogs.pwmn.net/korkakak/2008/06/04/gentoo-i-unmerged-python-now-what
>
> which worked - in the end. couple of caveats tho for anyone 'that follows' get python from their site as the ftp link in this article is out of date.
>
> http://www.python.org/download/releases/
>
> also I initially tried 3.01 and that didn't work so i installed 2.6.2 which worked 'out of the box' i then tested with 'emerge' and am now running 'emerge -va python'
>
> Cheers guys!
>
> Thanks to Dale too!

Glad it worked.
But, I don't know what will happen when the properly emerged python
overwrites the manually installed Python.

Does anybody know if the manual python install is "slotted", in the sense
that it installs files in /usr/lib/python2.6, /usr/include/python2.6, etc?
If it isn't, and Portage installs a slotted Python, the old files wouldn't
be overwritten.
And even if it is, the differences between the differently-configured and
super-patched new python and the vanilla old python could result in
a different set of file names, so it is possible that the old python
will not be totally overwritten by the portage-emerged python.

If I were you, I would at the very least read the log (specially its tail)
of the python emerge (emerge logs normally go to /var/log/emerge).
And you did log the files installed by the manual python install,
didn't you?

And why did you try python 3.01 first? You should try a similar vesion to
what you were previously running. And specifically python 3.01 is crazy,
as it is widely known that it is *not* compatible with python 2.x software.
And did you properly uninstall python 3.0.1?

Also, I didn't like the instructions in this blog very much.
Wouldn't it be more appropriate to configure python like
portage would?
For example, in my system, where the last python install was
dev-lang/python-2.5.4-r2  USE="ncurses readline ssl threads xml -berkdb -build -doc -examples -gdbm -ipv6 -sqlite -tk -ucs2 -wininst"

the configure line was (from the log)
./configure --prefix=/usr --host=i686-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var/lib --with-fpectl --enable-shared --disable-ipv6 --infodir=${prefix}/share/info --mandir=${prefix}/share/man --with-libc= --enable-unicode=ucs4 --with-threads --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu

Maybe it would  be nice to install python to  /usr/local (I'm not sure),
but if you are going to install it in /usr (like portage), I think you
might as well use the same configure line portage would.
And if you wanted to be really clean, you could apply the patches that
portage applies.

And most importantly,
*was this necessary*?
Couldn't he have emerged python by invoking
ebuild /usr/port/usr/portage/dev-lang/python/python-2.6.2.ebuild merge
?
This would do everyting correctly.
And wouldn't it work without Python, since it is written in Bash?
AFAIK, what needs Python is the high level interface to the portage
system, while the low-level interface only needs Bash (but I'm
totally not sure).

And finally, couldn't he have gotten a binary package from
http://tinderbox.dev.gentoo.org/default-linux/x86/dev-lang/
?

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ARGH I uninstalled python

Jorge Morais-3
On Sat, 23 May 2009 04:55:04 -0300
Jorge Morais <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Couldn't he have emerged python by invoking
> ebuild /usr/port/usr/portage/dev-lang/python/python-2.6.2.ebuild merge
> ?
> This would do everyting correctly.
> And wouldn't it work without Python, since it is written in Bash?
> AFAIK, what needs Python is the high level interface to the portage
> system, while the low-level interface only needs Bash (but I'm
> totally not sure).
Please forget this stupidity. The ebuild command is written in Python,
not Bash (should have written the email with less haste)
>
> And finally, couldn't he have gotten a binary package from
> http://tinderbox.dev.gentoo.org/default-linux/x86/dev-lang/
> ?
But this point still stands.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ARGH I uninstalled python

Jon Hardcastle
In reply to this post by Jon Hardcastle

--- On Sat, 23/5/09, Jorge Morais <[hidden email]> wrote:

> From: Jorge Morais <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ARGH I uninstalled python
> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Saturday, 23 May, 2009, 8:55 AM
> > Thank you! Thank you! Thank
> you!
> >
> > I followed this
> >
> > http://blogs.pwmn.net/korkakak/2008/06/04/gentoo-i-unmerged-python-now-what
> >
> > which worked - in the end. couple of caveats tho for
> anyone 'that follows' get python from their site as the ftp
> link in this article is out of date.
> >
> > http://www.python.org/download/releases/
> >
> > also I initially tried 3.01 and that didn't work so i
> installed 2.6.2 which worked 'out of the box' i then tested
> with 'emerge' and am now running 'emerge -va python'
> >
> > Cheers guys!
> >
> > Thanks to Dale too!
>
> Glad it worked.
> But, I don't know what will happen when the properly
> emerged python
> overwrites the manually installed Python.
>
> Does anybody know if the manual python install is
> "slotted", in the sense
> that it installs files in /usr/lib/python2.6,
> /usr/include/python2.6, etc?
> If it isn't, and Portage installs a slotted Python, the old
> files wouldn't
> be overwritten.
> And even if it is, the differences between the
> differently-configured and
> super-patched new python and the vanilla old python could
> result in
> a different set of file names, so it is possible that the
> old python
> will not be totally overwritten by the portage-emerged
> python.
>
> If I were you, I would at the very least read the log
> (specially its tail)
> of the python emerge (emerge logs normally go to
> /var/log/emerge).
> And you did log the files installed by the manual python
> install,
> didn't you?
>
> And why did you try python 3.01 first? You should try a
> similar vesion to
> what you were previously running. And specifically python
> 3.01 is crazy,
> as it is widely known that it is *not* compatible with
> python 2.x software.
> And did you properly uninstall python 3.0.1?
>
> Also, I didn't like the instructions in this blog very
> much.
> Wouldn't it be more appropriate to configure python like
> portage would?
> For example, in my system, where the last python install
> was
> dev-lang/python-2.5.4-r2  USE="ncurses readline ssl
> threads xml -berkdb -build -doc -examples -gdbm -ipv6
> -sqlite -tk -ucs2 -wininst"
>
> the configure line was (from the log)
> ./configure --prefix=/usr --host=i686-pc-linux-gnu
> --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info
> --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc
> --localstatedir=/var/lib --with-fpectl --enable-shared
> --disable-ipv6 --infodir=${prefix}/share/info
> --mandir=${prefix}/share/man --with-libc=
> --enable-unicode=ucs4 --with-threads
> --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu
>
> Maybe it would  be nice to install python to 
> /usr/local (I'm not sure),
> but if you are going to install it in /usr (like portage),
> I think you
> might as well use the same configure line portage would.
> And if you wanted to be really clean, you could apply the
> patches that
> portage applies.
>
> And most importantly,
> *was this necessary*?
> Couldn't he have emerged python by invoking
> ebuild
> /usr/port/usr/portage/dev-lang/python/python-2.6.2.ebuild
> merge
> ?
> This would do everyting correctly.
> And wouldn't it work without Python, since it is written in
> Bash?
> AFAIK, what needs Python is the high level interface to the
> portage
> system, while the low-level interface only needs Bash (but
> I'm
> totally not sure).
>
> And finally, couldn't he have gotten a binary package from
> http://tinderbox.dev.gentoo.org/default-linux/x86/dev-lang/
> ?
>
>

As it happens it didn't work after all. The emerge broke it again and i got an error from python.

All of your advise here is fantastic and i urge anyone that follows to do as you suggest - but i didn't fully uninstall either python install and i plan to just leave them minding their own business (hopefully) as i cant be bothered to track all the files down.

Your final line suggestion to use ebuild worked - although i had to change the path. I am running emerge -va python a and it had the same effect as install from wget and then emerging it. I get

  File "/usr/bin/emerge", line 41
    except PermissionDenied, e:
                           ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Any clues here?

-----------------------
N: Jon Hardcastle
E: [hidden email]
'Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring worries of its own.'

Please sponsor me for the London to Brighton 2009.
Just Giving: http://www.justgiving.com/jonathanhardcastle
-----------------------




Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ARGH I uninstalled python

Jon Hardcastle
In reply to this post by Jon Hardcastle

--- On Sat, 23/5/09, Jorge Morais <[hidden email]> wrote:

> From: Jorge Morais <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ARGH I uninstalled python
> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Saturday, 23 May, 2009, 8:55 AM
> > Thank you! Thank you! Thank
> you!
> >
> > I followed this
> >
> > http://blogs.pwmn.net/korkakak/2008/06/04/gentoo-i-unmerged-python-now-what
> >
> > which worked - in the end. couple of caveats tho for
> anyone 'that follows' get python from their site as the ftp
> link in this article is out of date.
> >
> > http://www.python.org/download/releases/
> >
> > also I initially tried 3.01 and that didn't work so i
> installed 2.6.2 which worked 'out of the box' i then tested
> with 'emerge' and am now running 'emerge -va python'
> >
> > Cheers guys!
> >
> > Thanks to Dale too!
>
> Glad it worked.
> But, I don't know what will happen when the properly
> emerged python
> overwrites the manually installed Python.
>
> Does anybody know if the manual python install is
> "slotted", in the sense
> that it installs files in /usr/lib/python2.6,
> /usr/include/python2.6, etc?
> If it isn't, and Portage installs a slotted Python, the old
> files wouldn't
> be overwritten.
> And even if it is, the differences between the
> differently-configured and
> super-patched new python and the vanilla old python could
> result in
> a different set of file names, so it is possible that the
> old python
> will not be totally overwritten by the portage-emerged
> python.
>
> If I were you, I would at the very least read the log
> (specially its tail)
> of the python emerge (emerge logs normally go to
> /var/log/emerge).
> And you did log the files installed by the manual python
> install,
> didn't you?
>
> And why did you try python 3.01 first? You should try a
> similar vesion to
> what you were previously running. And specifically python
> 3.01 is crazy,
> as it is widely known that it is *not* compatible with
> python 2.x software.
> And did you properly uninstall python 3.0.1?
>
> Also, I didn't like the instructions in this blog very
> much.
> Wouldn't it be more appropriate to configure python like
> portage would?
> For example, in my system, where the last python install
> was
> dev-lang/python-2.5.4-r2  USE="ncurses readline ssl
> threads xml -berkdb -build -doc -examples -gdbm -ipv6
> -sqlite -tk -ucs2 -wininst"
>
> the configure line was (from the log)
> ./configure --prefix=/usr --host=i686-pc-linux-gnu
> --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info
> --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc
> --localstatedir=/var/lib --with-fpectl --enable-shared
> --disable-ipv6 --infodir=${prefix}/share/info
> --mandir=${prefix}/share/man --with-libc=
> --enable-unicode=ucs4 --with-threads
> --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu
>
> Maybe it would  be nice to install python to 
> /usr/local (I'm not sure),
> but if you are going to install it in /usr (like portage),
> I think you
> might as well use the same configure line portage would.
> And if you wanted to be really clean, you could apply the
> patches that
> portage applies.
>
> And most importantly,
> *was this necessary*?
> Couldn't he have emerged python by invoking
> ebuild
> /usr/port/usr/portage/dev-lang/python/python-2.6.2.ebuild
> merge
> ?
> This would do everyting correctly.
> And wouldn't it work without Python, since it is written in
> Bash?
> AFAIK, what needs Python is the high level interface to the
> portage
> system, while the low-level interface only needs Bash (but
> I'm
> totally not sure).
>
> And finally, couldn't he have gotten a binary package from
> http://tinderbox.dev.gentoo.org/default-linux/x86/dev-lang/
> ?
>
>

Also that emerge borked ebuild too.

-----------------------
N: Jon Hardcastle
E: [hidden email]
'Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring worries of its own.'

Please sponsor me for the London to Brighton 2009.
Just Giving: http://www.justgiving.com/jonathanhardcastle
-----------------------




Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ARGH I uninstalled python

Dale-46
In reply to this post by Arttu V.-2
Arttu V. wrote:

> Dale wrote:
> > You may want to look into that setting for next time.  I did however
> > notice that although python is in the system set, it is not saving a
> > copy for some reason.  Anybody know why this setting is not working?
> >
> > FEATURES="--keep-going buildsyspkg sandbox fixpackages"
> >
> > Is the buildsyspkg option not valid anymore?
>
> http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo-x86/profiles/base/packages?r1=1.40&r2=1.41
>
>
> Python appears to be gone from the base system? Or maybe I'm looking
> at the wrong file? Anyway, 'emerge -pv @system | grep python' would
> seem to agree here.
>
> Now I don't have a PhD in Gentoo Package Manglement (barely passed the
> kindergarten level so far?), but that commit looks rather unsettling
> for other parts as well. Are the devs switching over to paludis in
> droves? Or why is sys-apps/portage commented out as well? Why is it
> replaced by the hard-coded ("old-style"?) virtual/portage?
>

This is what I get with this command:

root@smoker / # emerge -ep system | grep python
[ebuild   R   ] app-admin/python-updater-0.5
[ebuild   R   ] dev-lang/python-2.5.4-r2
root@smoker / #

So python is there if you do it emptytree.  I still don't have a binary
of this in packages/All tho.  Also, since portage has to have python,
why is it not saving this?  I put that line in make.conf just in case I
do something like the OP did by mistake.  It appears that this isn't
working.

Ideas?  This a bug?

Dale

:-)  :-)

P. S.  No PhD here either.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ARGH I uninstalled python

Arttu V.-2
On 5/23/09, Dale <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is what I get with this command:
>
> root@smoker / # emerge -ep system | grep python
> [ebuild   R   ] app-admin/python-updater-0.5
> [ebuild   R   ] dev-lang/python-2.5.4-r2
> root@smoker / #
>
> So python is there if you do it emptytree.

emptytree pulls in *all* dependencies, regardless of whether they are
in the system set or even if they are just regular dependencies
(random packages) from an external overlay. So you're not comparing
apples to apples there with -e, you're getting lot of false positives
from outside the real system set.

It is still a good question why one would have any system set packages
having critical dependencies to non-system set packages, but reasoning
for that has to be asked from the portage devs ...

But backing up a little, try this instead for an amusement (remember
to --pretend or --ask):

~ # emerge -pvC python

>>> These are the packages that would be unmerged:

 dev-lang/python
    selected: 2.5.4-r2
   protected: none
     omitted: none

>>> 'Selected' packages are slated for removal.
>>> 'Protected' and 'omitted' packages will not be removed.

~ # emerge -pvC binutils

>>> These are the packages that would be unmerged:


!!! 'sys-devel/binutils' is part of your system profile.
!!! Unmerging it may be damaging to your system.


 sys-devel/binutils
    selected: 2.18-r3
   protected: none
     omitted: none

>>> 'Selected' packages are slated for removal.
>>> 'Protected' and 'omitted' packages will not be removed.

~ #


Note how binutils still is within the system set and gets the extra
warning, while python doesn't get the special system set warning with
the three exclamation marks? I.e., python *is no longer* in the system
set, probably removed by the very change I gave a link for in previous
email.

AFAIK (haven't checked in portage code), buildsyspkg and such only
work with the packages explicitly mentioned in the system set, so
binutils is in, python is (nowadays) out -- and that probably explains
also what is happening on your smoker. :)

Anyone finding flaws in my theories or facts or observations that
outright nullify them? :)

--
Arttu V.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ARGH I uninstalled python

Dale-46
Arttu V. wrote:

> On 5/23/09, Dale <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  
>> This is what I get with this command:
>>
>> root@smoker / # emerge -ep system | grep python
>> [ebuild   R   ] app-admin/python-updater-0.5
>> [ebuild   R   ] dev-lang/python-2.5.4-r2
>> root@smoker / #
>>
>> So python is there if you do it emptytree.
>>    
>
> emptytree pulls in *all* dependencies, regardless of whether they are
> in the system set or even if they are just regular dependencies
> (random packages) from an external overlay. So you're not comparing
> apples to apples there with -e, you're getting lot of false positives
> from outside the real system set.
>
> It is still a good question why one would have any system set packages
> having critical dependencies to non-system set packages, but reasoning
> for that has to be asked from the portage devs ...
>
> But backing up a little, try this instead for an amusement (remember
> to --pretend or --ask):
>
> ~ # emerge -pvC python
>
>  
>>>> These are the packages that would be unmerged:
>>>>        
>
>  dev-lang/python
>     selected: 2.5.4-r2
>    protected: none
>      omitted: none
>
>  
>>>> 'Selected' packages are slated for removal.
>>>> 'Protected' and 'omitted' packages will not be removed.
>>>>        
>
> ~ # emerge -pvC binutils
>
>  
>>>> These are the packages that would be unmerged:
>>>>        
>
>
> !!! 'sys-devel/binutils' is part of your system profile.
> !!! Unmerging it may be damaging to your system.
>
>
>  sys-devel/binutils
>     selected: 2.18-r3
>    protected: none
>      omitted: none
>
>  
>>>> 'Selected' packages are slated for removal.
>>>> 'Protected' and 'omitted' packages will not be removed.
>>>>        
>
> ~ #
>
>
> Note how binutils still is within the system set and gets the extra
> warning, while python doesn't get the special system set warning with
> the three exclamation marks? I.e., python *is no longer* in the system
> set, probably removed by the very change I gave a link for in previous
> email.
>
> AFAIK (haven't checked in portage code), buildsyspkg and such only
> work with the packages explicitly mentioned in the system set, so
> binutils is in, python is (nowadays) out -- and that probably explains
> also what is happening on your smoker. :)
>
> Anyone finding flaws in my theories or facts or observations that
> outright nullify them? :)
>
>  

Hmmm, I think someone needs to rethink the system set then.  After all,
portage does not work well without python.  It should keep a binary copy
but it should also warn you if you are typing without your thinking cap on.

Anyone else think this is a bug?  Or should be thought out again as to
being included is system set?

Dale

:-)  :-)

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ARGH I uninstalled python

Alan McKinnon-2
In reply to this post by Arttu V.-2
On Saturday 23 May 2009 13:52:13 Arttu V. wrote:

> Note how binutils still is within the system set and gets the extra
> warning, while python doesn't get the special system set warning with
> the three exclamation marks? I.e., python *is no longer* in the system
> set, probably removed by the very change I gave a link for in previous
> email.
>
> AFAIK (haven't checked in portage code), buildsyspkg and such only
> work with the packages explicitly mentioned in the system set, so
> binutils is in, python is (nowadays) out -- and that probably explains
> also what is happening on your smoker. :)
>
> Anyone finding flaws in my theories or facts or observations that
> outright nullify them? :)

No, I think you are right, and I think somebody cocked up badly.

Examining the current profiles shows that portage and python were removed from
base, and python was included back in releases/2008.0/packages (amongst
others):

profiles # grep -r 'sys-apps/portage' * | grep packages:
base/packages:#*>=sys-apps/portage-2.0.51.22
default-linux/amd64/2007.0/packages:>=sys-apps/portage-2.1.2
releases/2008.0/packages:>=sys-apps/portage-2.1.4.4
selinux/packages:>=sys-apps/portage-2.0.49-r15
selinux/2007.0/packages:>=sys-apps/portage-2.1.2
profiles # grep -r 'dev-lang/python' * | grep packages:
base/packages:#*dev-lang/python

I haven't followed this entire thread, so correct me if I'm wrong, but a
reasonable explanation might be:

A Gentoo system needs a package manager, but it's doesn't have to be portage.
Solution: remove the hardcoded portage and python from base, include them
elsewhere and created new profiles for paludis and pkg-merge users.

Except, python got omitted and there's no paludis (yet)

If so, this is a bug and should be reported


--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ARGH I uninstalled python

Dale-46
Alan McKinnon wrote:

> On Saturday 23 May 2009 13:52:13 Arttu V. wrote:
>  
>> Note how binutils still is within the system set and gets the extra
>> warning, while python doesn't get the special system set warning with
>> the three exclamation marks? I.e., python *is no longer* in the system
>> set, probably removed by the very change I gave a link for in previous
>> email.
>>
>> AFAIK (haven't checked in portage code), buildsyspkg and such only
>> work with the packages explicitly mentioned in the system set, so
>> binutils is in, python is (nowadays) out -- and that probably explains
>> also what is happening on your smoker. :)
>>
>> Anyone finding flaws in my theories or facts or observations that
>> outright nullify them? :)
>>    
>
> No, I think you are right, and I think somebody cocked up badly.
>
> Examining the current profiles shows that portage and python were removed from
> base, and python was included back in releases/2008.0/packages (amongst
> others):
>
> profiles # grep -r 'sys-apps/portage' * | grep packages:
> base/packages:#*>=sys-apps/portage-2.0.51.22
> default-linux/amd64/2007.0/packages:>=sys-apps/portage-2.1.2
> releases/2008.0/packages:>=sys-apps/portage-2.1.4.4
> selinux/packages:>=sys-apps/portage-2.0.49-r15
> selinux/2007.0/packages:>=sys-apps/portage-2.1.2
> profiles # grep -r 'dev-lang/python' * | grep packages:
> base/packages:#*dev-lang/python
>
> I haven't followed this entire thread, so correct me if I'm wrong, but a
> reasonable explanation might be:
>
> A Gentoo system needs a package manager, but it's doesn't have to be portage.
> Solution: remove the hardcoded portage and python from base, include them
> elsewhere and created new profiles for paludis and pkg-merge users.
>
> Except, python got omitted and there's no paludis (yet)
>
> If so, this is a bug and should be reported
>
>
>  

You or the OP care to report it?  If you need info from me, just let me
know the commands.

Dale

:-)  :-)

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ARGH I uninstalled python

Neil Bothwick
In reply to this post by Dale-46
On Sat, 23 May 2009 06:59:10 -0500, Dale wrote:

> Hmmm, I think someone needs to rethink the system set then.  After all,
> portage does not work well without python.  It should keep a binary copy
> but it should also warn you if you are typing without your thinking cap
> on.

Portage is not in system, only the virtual. That can be satisfied
by Paludis, which does not need Python.


--
Neil Bothwick

Ask a silly person, get a silly answer

signature.asc (205 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ARGH I uninstalled python

Dale-46
Neil Bothwick wrote:

> On Sat, 23 May 2009 06:59:10 -0500, Dale wrote:
>
>  
>> Hmmm, I think someone needs to rethink the system set then.  After all,
>> portage does not work well without python.  It should keep a binary copy
>> but it should also warn you if you are typing without your thinking cap
>> on.
>>    
>
> Portage is not in system, only the virtual. That can be satisfied
> by Paludis, which does not need Python.
>
>
>  

But if a person, me or the OP, is using portage then python needs to be
in there.  After all, isn't portage supported by Gentoo still?  Are we
all supposed to switch to Paludis so we will get a warning before
borking our system?

Dale

:-)  :-)

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ARGH I uninstalled python

Jorge Morais-3
In reply to this post by Jon Hardcastle
On Sat, 23 May 2009 03:51:40 -0700 (PDT)
Jon Hardcastle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >
> > And finally, couldn't he have gotten a binary package from
> > http://tinderbox.dev.gentoo.org/default-linux/x86/dev-lang/
> > ?
Have you not yet tried to get python from a binary package?
See http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-4669397.html#4669397
That is both the easiest and cleanest solution I have found so far,
(not that I have researched much, I admit).
And maybe you don't even have to extract the tarball manually with
tar; maybe you can use qmerge from app-portage/portage-utils
(AFAIK it is written in C).

Now, I do have concerns about your system having remains of multiple
python installations.

Any person with python knowledge can give an opinion on whether this
is dangerous? And what is the easiest way to clean the mess?

One idea: you can can recompile python with a safe
prefix (such as a subdir of your home), issue make install (not as root,
for increased safety) and see where Python install its files relative to
the prefix, so you can delete them from your system
(to be more careful before deleting a file, you can issue
qfile <FILE> to see if it is owned by a portage-installed package.
And in the end you can emerge python properly, from the sources, so all
the ebuild logic (which is more than just ./configure, make and make install)
gets applied, and you get a Python installation that respects your USE flags,
CFLAGS and other system-specific settings (obviously you don't get such a
system-customized python when you use the binary package from tinderbox).


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ARGH I uninstalled python

Keith Dart ♂
On Sat, 23 May 2009 19:08:50 -0300
Jorge Morais <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Now, I do have concerns about your system having remains of multiple
> python installations.
>
> Any person with python knowledge can give an opinion on whether this
> is dangerous? And what is the easiest way to clean the mess?

Python is designed to work with multiple versions installed. Therefore,
the ebuild is also slotted so you can have multiple versions installed.
Use "eselect python" to choose which one you want to use as the
default. Also, don't forget to run python-updater after recent changes
that installed Python 2.6 for you. You can always unmerge the specific
old version afterwards. e.g.
"emerge --unmerge =dev-lang/python-2.5.4-r2"

HTH,
Keith

--

-- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
   Keith Dart <[hidden email]>
   public key: ID: 19017044
   <http://www.dartworks.biz/>
   =====================================================================

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ARGH I uninstalled python

Alan McKinnon-2
In reply to this post by Neil Bothwick
On Saturday 23 May 2009 22:02:26 Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Sat, 23 May 2009 06:59:10 -0500, Dale wrote:
> > Hmmm, I think someone needs to rethink the system set then.  After all,
> > portage does not work well without python.  It should keep a binary copy
> > but it should also warn you if you are typing without your thinking cap
> > on.
>
> Portage is not in system, only the virtual. That can be satisfied
> by Paludis, which does not need Python.

Lucky for you, I know your sense of humour by now :-)

Doesn't help portage users though, and portage is still the default package
manager on Gentoo. I don't see that changing any time soon, if ever.

Besides, unless you do it manually, you need portage to install paludis,
right? Without python, you don't get paludis.

Either way, it's a bug. portage supports inheriting multiple parent profiles.
One approach would be to add a new collection of profiles in addition to the
existing base/, default/ and targets/ - called say pkgmgr.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

123