Appropriate location to publish experimental stages for Alt

Appropriate location to publish experimental stages for Alt

Johnson Steward
Hello,

I've been messing with Gentoo FreeBSD these days and, finally, got to the current latest version available. As upgrading is really a tiring process (lots and lots and lots of bootstrapping the tool chain and bunches of blocks in the current stages), I'm thinking of sharing my currently working system as a staged for further testing for those who are interested.

Yet I can't come up with an appropriate location for the stage4 to be hosted. 1.4GB is obviously too large for a pastebin even if bzip2-compressed, and consumer-level cloud storage providers like Google Drive or OneDrive will create unnecessary chaos when trying to actually install the system (virtually impossible to interact with that JavaScript-based system within the FreeBSD livecd), and I don't have an account for Google Cloud Storage or AWS either.

Is there a suitable location to host such a stage? I'm currently not a Gentoo developer, yet I really want my work to benefit the Gentoo FreeBSD community.

Thanks,

Johnson Steward

Re: Appropriate location to publish experimental stages for Alt

R0b0t1
On Saturday, September 9, 2017, Johnson Steward <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
> I've been messing with Gentoo FreeBSD these days and, finally, got to the current latest version available. As upgrading is really a tiring process (lots and lots and lots of bootstrapping the tool chain and bunches of blocks in the current stages), I'm thinking of sharing my currently working system as a staged for further testing for those who are interested.
> Yet I can't come up with an appropriate location for the stage4 to be hosted. 1.4GB is obviously too large for a pastebin even if bzip2-compressed, and consumer-level cloud storage providers like Google Drive or OneDrive will create unnecessary chaos when trying to actually install the system (virtually impossible to interact with that JavaScript-based system within the FreeBSD livecd), and I don't have an account for Google Cloud Storage or AWS either.
> Is there a suitable location to host such a stage? I'm currently not a Gentoo developer, yet I really want my work to benefit the Gentoo FreeBSD community.
> Thanks,
>
> Johnson Steward

Contact [hidden email].

Thank you for your work. There's still lots of things that are harder than they should be.

Cheers,
    R0b0t1

Re: Appropriate location to publish experimental stages for Alt

Robin H. Johnson-2
On Sat, Sep 09, 2017 at 11:51:27PM +0800, Johnson Steward wrote:
> I've been messing with Gentoo FreeBSD these days and, finally, got to the
> current latest version available. As upgrading is really a tiring process
> (lots and lots and lots of bootstrapping the tool chain and bunches of
> blocks in the current stages), I'm thinking of sharing my currently working
> system as a staged for further testing for those who are interested.
Find a developer on the Gentoo/FreeBSD team ideally, and get the content
over to Infra.
Goes to woodpecker:/space/experimental-local/bsd/freebsd/ which will
mirror out to http://distfiles.gentoo.org/experimental/bsd/freebsd/

Should ideally be all of stage[1234], including CONTENTS and DIGESTS
files.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Asst. Treasurer

signature.asc (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Appropriate location to publish experimental stages for Alt

Dean Stephens-2
On 09/09/17 12:23, R0b0t1 wrote:

> On Saturday, September 9, 2017, Johnson Steward <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I've been messing with Gentoo FreeBSD these days and, finally, got to the
> current latest version available. As upgrading is really a tiring process
> (lots and lots and lots of bootstrapping the tool chain and bunches of
> blocks in the current stages), I'm thinking of sharing my currently working
> system as a staged for further testing for those who are interested.
>> Yet I can't come up with an appropriate location for the stage4 to be
> hosted. 1.4GB is obviously too large for a pastebin even if
> bzip2-compressed, and consumer-level cloud storage providers like Google
> Drive or OneDrive will create unnecessary chaos when trying to actually
> install the system (virtually impossible to interact with that
> JavaScript-based system within the FreeBSD livecd), and I don't have an
> account for Google Cloud Storage or AWS either.
>> Is there a suitable location to host such a stage? I'm currently not a
> Gentoo developer, yet I really want my work to benefit the Gentoo FreeBSD
> community.
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Johnson Steward
>
> Contact [hidden email].

While I am willing to help people find suitable avenues for
contributions to Gentoo; that reply, especially unqualified and coming
barely half an hour after the initial post was made, rather strongly
implies that I would be the right point of contact to actually get the
stages hosted. That is simply not the case.

I would, at best, have directed them similarly to how robbat2 did,
probably while lacking some of the details which he posted. Further,
they were already posting on gentoo-dev, so they were inquiring
somewhere that is virtually assured of reaching suitable persons.

So, please, if you are going to suggest to others that they contact me
to help them find a suitable point of contact, do not do so on
gentoo-dev (as they have almost certainly reached suitable persons
already), and make it explicitly clear that I would only be helping them
find a suitable point of contact with which to proceed.

> Thank you for your work. There's still lots of things that are harder than
> they should be.
>
> Cheers,
>     R0b0t1

Re: Appropriate location to publish experimental stages for Alt

R0b0t1
Hello!

On Sun, Sep 10, 2017 at 9:58 PM, Dean Stephens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 09/09/17 12:23, R0b0t1 wrote:
>> On Saturday, September 9, 2017, Johnson Steward <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> I've been messing with Gentoo FreeBSD these days and, finally, got to the
>> current latest version available. As upgrading is really a tiring process
>> (lots and lots and lots of bootstrapping the tool chain and bunches of
>> blocks in the current stages), I'm thinking of sharing my currently working
>> system as a staged for further testing for those who are interested.
>>> Yet I can't come up with an appropriate location for the stage4 to be
>> hosted. 1.4GB is obviously too large for a pastebin even if
>> bzip2-compressed, and consumer-level cloud storage providers like Google
>> Drive or OneDrive will create unnecessary chaos when trying to actually
>> install the system (virtually impossible to interact with that
>> JavaScript-based system within the FreeBSD livecd), and I don't have an
>> account for Google Cloud Storage or AWS either.
>>> Is there a suitable location to host such a stage? I'm currently not a
>> Gentoo developer, yet I really want my work to benefit the Gentoo FreeBSD
>> community.
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Johnson Steward
>>
>> Contact [hidden email].
>>
> While I am willing to help people find suitable avenues for
> contributions to Gentoo; that reply, especially unqualified and coming
> barely half an hour after the initial post was made, rather strongly
> implies that I would be the right point of contact to actually get the
> stages hosted. That is simply not the case.

I realize there may be more suitable points of contact. I suppose I
can see now how that might be the case now.

> I would, at best, have directed them similarly to how robbat2 did,
> probably while lacking some of the details which he posted. Further,
> they were already posting on gentoo-dev, so they were inquiring
> somewhere that is virtually assured of reaching suitable persons.

I am not really certain as to the purpose of gentoo-dev, so my
apologies. Sometimes developers use it and sometimes they do not.
There have been technical posts which have languished before. I may
have been too quick to reply, as you have said.

> So, please, if you are going to suggest to others that they contact me
> to help them find a suitable point of contact, do not do so on
> gentoo-dev (as they have almost certainly reached suitable persons
> already), and make it explicitly clear that I would only be helping them
> find a suitable point of contact with which to proceed.

I did not think to clarify. At worst you would have gotten all of the
information up front and had to refer him to someone else. I can't
imagine he would have minded, but I apologize for taking liberties
with both of your time. I am only trying to help, sir. I apologize for
not being very smart. Some day I hope do accomplish something useful
but it seems a long way off. I pray for that day every day, but I may
have to wait until I go to Heaven.

Respectfully,
     R0b0t1