Bandwidth monitor on per service/program basis

Bandwidth monitor on per service/program basis

Stuart Howard
Hi

I am looking to find a tool that will allow me to monitor which
applications or services are utilising my network and hence bandwidth.
Now I have found loads of useful tools that can offer me representations
of the interface but little that breaks it down on a time basis and per
program basis.
If anyone has a suggestion of a ready built application it will be welcome,
prefer it to be console based for ssh [with a nice gui at home, if I am being
greedy ].

stuart

--
"There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand
binary, those who don't"

--Unknown

Re: Bandwidth monitor on per service/program basis

Ajai Khattri-2
On Fri, 4 Nov 2005, Stuart Howard wrote:

> I am looking to find a tool that will allow me to monitor which
> applications or services are utilising my network and hence bandwidth.
> Now I have found loads of useful tools that can offer me representations
> of the interface but little that breaks it down on a time basis and per
> program basis.
> If anyone has a suggestion of a ready built application it will be welcome,
> prefer it to be console based for ssh [with a nice gui at home, if I am being
> greedy ].

Most network tools know about ports and protocols so "per program basis"
may not be possible. However, you can monitor protocols using something
like iptraf or ntop (web-based). A quick look in
/usr/portage/net-analyzer/ will give you an idea of what's available.

Re: Bandwidth monitor on per service/program basis

Marc Christiansen
Stuart Howard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am looking to find a tool that will allow me to monitor which
> applications or services are utilising my network and hence bandwidth.
> Now I have found loads of useful tools that can offer me
> representations of the interface but little that breaks it down on a
> time basis and per program basis.
> If anyone has a suggestion of a ready built application it will be
> welcome, prefer it to be console based for ssh [with a nice gui at
> home, if I am being greedy ].

You could try nethogs:

*  net-analyzer/nethogs
      Latest version available: 0.6.0
      Latest version installed: 0.6.0
      Size of downloaded files: 19 kB
      Homepage:    http://nethogs.sf.net/
      License:     GPL-1

It's console only, though, so you'll have to reign in your greed ;-)

Marc

Re: Re: Bandwidth monitor on per service/program basis

Stuart Howard-2
Ideal

nethogs seems just right, thanks for the reply.

stu