Boot from a USB device on old hardware

Helmut Jarausch-2
Hi,
sorry, this is a bit off topic.
I have old hardware where the BIOS cannot boot from an USB device.
For testing a Gentoo problem (Balsa) I need to boot an older system.
Is it possible to boot from a cdrom drive and then "switch" to the kernel
with the full init process on a separate (USB) drive?
Is it possible with some Grub2 "tricks"?

Many thanks for a hint
Helmut

Re: Boot from a USB device on old hardware

Neil Bothwick
On Thu, 05 Oct 2017 08:44:25 -0000, Helmut Jarausch wrote:

> sorry, this is a bit off topic.
> I have old hardware where the BIOS cannot boot from an USB device.
> For testing a Gentoo problem (Balsa) I need to boot an older system.
> Is it possible to boot from a cdrom drive and then "switch" to the
> kernel with the full init process on a separate (USB) drive?
> Is it possible with some Grub2 "tricks"?

It is possible with GRUB, creating a menu entry that boots your USB
stick, but how you do this very much depends on how the USB stick is set
up.

Alternatively, use the PLOP bootloader from a CD, which can then boot
from USB - https://www.plop.at/en/bootmanagers.html

--
Neil Bothwick

Facts are stubborn, but statistics are more pliable