Cannot open root device "hde4" or uknown-block(0,0)

Cannot open root device "hde4" or uknown-block(0,0)

Bill Six
Hi,

I've just installed Gentoo alongside XP.  /dev/hde is
my main harddrive.  I'm getting the error

"VFS: Cannot open root device "hde4" or
uknown-block(0,0)
Kernel panic.."

Any idea why this is?  Maybe this info will help

It's a 120 Gig harddrive
/dev/hde1 is 20 Gigs, for Windows
/dev/hde2 is 32 Megs, for /boot
/dev/hde3 is 512 Megs, for swap
/dev/hde4 is the rest of the harddrive, for /

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bill Six

Re: Cannot open root device "hde4" or uknown-block(0,0)

Willie Wong
On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 08:54:56PM -0800, Bill Six wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've just installed Gentoo alongside XP.  /dev/hde is
> my main harddrive.  I'm getting the error
>
> "VFS: Cannot open root device "hde4" or
> uknown-block(0,0)
> Kernel panic.."
>
> Any idea why this is?  Maybe this info will help
>
> It's a 120 Gig harddrive
> /dev/hde1 is 20 Gigs, for Windows
> /dev/hde2 is 32 Megs, for /boot
> /dev/hde3 is 512 Megs, for swap
> /dev/hde4 is the rest of the harddrive, for /
>
> Any ideas?

what do you have in grub.conf?

what filesystem are you running for /? (did you compile the necessary
kernel options for that filesystem?)

Barium: what you do with dead chemists.
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 2 days,  8:17

Re: Cannot open root device "hde4" or uknown-block(0,0)

Glenn Enright
On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 19:59, Willie Wong wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 08:54:56PM -0800, Bill Six wrote:
> > "VFS: Cannot open root device "hde4" or
> > uknown-block(0,0)
> > Please append a correct "root=" boot option
> > Kernel panic.."
> > It's a 120 Gig harddrive
> > /dev/hde1 is 20 Gigs, for Windows
> > /dev/hde2 is 32 Megs, for /boot
> > /dev/hde3 is 512 Megs, for swap
> > /dev/hde4 is the rest of the harddrive, for /
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> what do you have in grub.conf?

That looks like the right idea to me too. root(0,0) is not what should be in
your boot loader.
--

BOFH Excuse #200:

The monitor needs another box of pixels.

Re: Cannot open root device "hde4" or uknown-block(0,0)

JesseZhao

> > what do you have in grub.conf?
>
> That looks like the right idea to me too. root(0,0) is not what should be in
> your boot loader.
> --

i think it is root(4,0)
root=hd(4,3)
--
/**********************************************************
* Love in Gentoo-Linux  C and Python

Re: Cannot open root device "hde4" or uknown-block(0,0)

Norberto Bensa
Bill Six wrote:
> "VFS: Cannot open root device "hde4" or
> uknown-block(0,0)

You need ide drivers for your chipset AND your filesystem compiled in your
kernel or in an initrd.

Your grub.conf seems OK since VFS is telling you "root device hde4"

--
Norberto Bensa
4544-9692

--- Norberto Bensa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Bill Six wrote:
> > "VFS: Cannot open root device "hde4" or
> > uknown-block(0,0)
>
> You need ide drivers for your chipset AND your
> filesystem compiled in your
> kernel or in an initrd.

Ok.  That sounds good (I've usually used genkernel,
now I'm compiling the kernel manually.)  I have the
filesystem compiled in the kernel, how would I find
the ide drivers for my chipset?  lspci?

Thanks

> Your grub.conf seems OK since VFS is telling you
> "root device hde4"
>
> --
> Norberto Bensa
> 4544-9692
> Ciudad de Buenos Aires, Argentina

Re: Cannot open root device "hde4" or uknown-block(0,0)

Bugzilla from brettholcomb@bellsouth.net
Yes, run lspci as root and it will spit out what you have.  Your
motherboard manual may also give the information.

--

Brett I. Holcomb
[hidden email]

Bill Six wrote:
> how would I find
> the ide drivers for my chipset?  lspci?

Yes. You can also use "generic ide" as a backup-driver if you don't know which
one to use, but you'll lose dma.