Chromium: questions

Pavel Volkov
I have 2 questions about how Chromium operates with a clean profile.
I run it like this:
% chromium --user-data-dir=<dir>

Directory <dir> is empty (at first launch).

After the first launch, some entries immediately appear in History. I visited those before, but it's not everything I visited. Approximately 10-20 entries.
From where is this information taken? If it's Google servers, what info is used for identification? IP address, system user name, something else?

Next question is about certificates. I have 2 personal certificates installed in my main profile and they appear in the clean profile, too. Where are those certificates stored? I couldn't find them in KDE configuration app (System Settings). Are they taken from main profile?

Re: Chromium: questions

Yohan Pereira
On 30/07/13 at 12:11pm, Pavel Volkov wrote:

> I have 2 questions about how Chromium operates with a clean profile.
> I run it like this:
> % chromium --user-data-dir=<dir>
>
> Directory <dir> is empty (at first launch).
>
> After the first launch, some entries immediately appear in History. I
> visited those before, but it's not everything I visited. Approximately
> 10-20 entries.
> From where is this information taken? If it's Google servers, what info is
> used for identification? IP address, system user name, something else?

Just a hunch but have you signed into Chromium with your google account
? Google has this feature/anti-feature (based on your outlook) where it
syncs bookmarks, history among other things with their servers so you have
access to it on all your computers where you've signed into Chromium.
-

- Yohan Pereira

The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference
between a mermaid and a seal.
                -- Mark Twain

No, of course I haven't.
Only launched it with a clean profile and opened History right away.

Re: Chromium: questions

Paul Hartman-3
On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 3:11 AM, Pavel Volkov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have 2 questions about how Chromium operates with a clean profile.
> I run it like this:
> % chromium --user-data-dir=<dir>
>
> Directory <dir> is empty (at first launch).
>
> After the first launch, some entries immediately appear in History. I
> visited those before, but it's not everything I visited. Approximately 10-20
> entries.
> From where is this information taken? If it's Google servers, what info is
> used for identification? IP address, system user name, something else?
>
> Next question is about certificates. I have 2 personal certificates
> installed in my main profile and they appear in the clean profile, too.
> Where are those certificates stored? I couldn't find them in KDE
> configuration app (System Settings). Are they taken from main profile?

I would look in the ~/.config/ directory for any
chrome/chromium/google stuff which might possibly contain this data...
(even if you specified otherwise)

Re: Chromium: questions

Mick-10
On Tuesday 30 Jul 2013 09:11:37 Pavel Volkov wrote:

> I have 2 questions about how Chromium operates with a clean profile.
> I run it like this:
> % chromium --user-data-dir=<dir>
>
> Directory <dir> is empty (at first launch).
>
> After the first launch, some entries immediately appear in History. I
> visited those before, but it's not everything I visited. Approximately
> 10-20 entries.
> From where is this information taken? If it's Google servers, what info is
> used for identification? IP address, system user name, something else?
>
> Next question is about certificates. I have 2 personal certificates
> installed in my main profile and they appear in the clean profile, too.
> Where are those certificates stored? I couldn't find them in KDE
> configuration app (System Settings). Are they taken from main profile?
I have a number of certificate details and CRLs stored under ~.gnupg/

Additionally, mozilla certificates are stored in the
~/.mozilla/firefox/xxxxxx.default/ directory, but I think that these are only
used by mozilla apps, not Chromium.

Mick

Re: Chromium: questions

Pavel Volkov
On Tuesday 30 July 2013 12:11:37 you wrote:
> After the first launch, some entries immediately appear in History. I
> visited those before, but it's not everything I visited. Approximately
> 10-20 entries.
> From where is this information taken? If it's Google servers, what info is
> used for identification? IP address, system user name, something else?

Well, I found out that Chromium was automatically importing Firefox history
from all Firefox profiles.