Ciaran, Infra

Seemant Kulleen

Hi All,

I just want to go on record here that I am *not* in agreement with
infra's actions regarding the revokation of Ciaran McCreesh's access.
He has never been a danger to the tree (and if you look at his flames
and his arguments throughout his history, it's exactly the opposite
that's _always_ been his goal).  I think infra should've consulted
devrel and possibly council before acting.  I would be ok if this was a
"community-leaders'" decision. I am not ok with it being a single
team's.

I am willing to stake my council and trustee position on the restoration
of Ciaran's access.

This is a serious matter of one team holding someone hostage with no
solid grounds as reasoning.

Sincerely,

Seemant Kulleen

Re: Ciaran, Infra

solar-4
On Mon, 2006-03-20 at 19:28 -0500, Seemant Kulleen wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I just want to go on record here that I am *not* in agreement with
> infra's actions regarding the revokation of Ciaran McCreesh's access.

I do he was viewed as a threat based on previous actions.
This is our infrastructure we are talking about here. As an adminstrator
I hope you can come to realize that no matter what the assests must be
protected at all costs. Be that using a kernel patch, playing userland
tricks to try to gain better security or temporally disabling somebodies
access.

> He has never been a danger to the tree (and if you look at his flames
> and his arguments throughout his history, it's exactly the opposite
> that's _always_ been his goal).  I think infra should've consulted
> devrel and possibly council before acting.  I would be ok if this was a
> "community-leaders'" decision. I am not ok with it being a single
> team's.

> I am willing to stake my council and trustee position on the restoration
> of Ciaran's access.

I'm willing to stake mine on supporting the decisions that have already
made.

--
Ned Ludd <[hidden email]>
Gentoo Linux

Re: Ciaran, Infra

Paul de Vrieze-2
On Tuesday 21 March 2006 01:45, Ned Ludd wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-03-20 at 19:28 -0500, Seemant Kulleen wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I just want to go on record here that I am *not* in agreement with
> > infra's actions regarding the revokation of Ciaran McCreesh's access.
>
> I do he was viewed as a threat based on previous actions.
> This is our infrastructure we are talking about here. As an adminstrator
> I hope you can come to realize that no matter what the assests must be
> protected at all costs. Be that using a kernel patch, playing userland
> tricks to try to gain better security or temporally disabling somebodies
> access.
>
> > He has never been a danger to the tree (and if you look at his flames
> > and his arguments throughout his history, it's exactly the opposite
> > that's _always_ been his goal).  I think infra should've consulted
> > devrel and possibly council before acting.  I would be ok if this was a
> > "community-leaders'" decision. I am not ok with it being a single
> > team's.
> >

> > I am willing to stake my council and trustee position on the restoration
> > of Ciaran's access.
>
> I'm willing to stake mine on supporting the decisions that have already
> made.
While I don't have either position anymore (freedom lures at the 1st of april
as my thesis is almost finished), I do have to agree with Seemant. I do not
believe that Ciaran would go as far as subvert the tree.

I don't think that Ciaran's issues are with anything other than his people
skills.

Paul

ps. No go and put back some fun in gentoo.

--
Paul de Vrieze
Gentoo Developer

Re: Ciaran, Infra

Aron Griffis-3
Are council members willing to meet this week to talk about infra's
action?  My own thinking is pretty muddy at the moment and I'd
appreciate the opportunity to gain your perspective.  If possible, I'd
like the entire council to meet, not just a subset, because I would
like a well-rounded discussion and eventual consensus on the best
course for Gentoo.

How about tomorrow (Wednesday) 1900 UTC?

Regards,
Aron

Re: Ciaran, Infra

Seemant Kulleen
On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 11:11:27AM -0500, Aron Griffis wrote:
> How about tomorrow (Wednesday) 1900 UTC?

Count me in

Re: Ciaran, Infra

Martin Schlemmer
(forgot to reply to all)

On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 11:29 -0500, Seemant Kulleen wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 11:11:27AM -0500, Aron Griffis wrote:
> > How about tomorrow (Wednesday) 1900 UTC?
>
> Count me in

I should be here.

PS: what happened to the week warning to meetings ?

--
Martin Schlemmer

Re: Ciaran, Infra

Martin Schlemmer
On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 14:26 -0500, Seemant Kulleen wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 09:29:25PM +0200, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
> > >
> > > Count me in
> > >

> > I should be here.
> >

> > PS: what happened to the week warning to meetings ?
>
> This is an emergency session, that's why the less warning.
Gotcha, was wondering about the previous one with only two days if I
remember ...

--
Martin Schlemmer

Re: Ciaran, Infra

solar-4
On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 11:11 -0500, Aron Griffis wrote:
> Are council members willing to meet this week to talk about infra's
> action?  My own thinking is pretty muddy at the moment and I'd
> appreciate the opportunity to gain your perspective.  If possible, I'd
> like the entire council to meet, not just a subset, because I would
> like a well-rounded discussion and eventual consensus on the best
> course for Gentoo.
>
> How about tomorrow (Wednesday) 1900 UTC?

No thanks. Spent far to many man hours on this one already.

--
solar <[hidden email]>
Gentoo Linux

Re: Ciaran, Infra

Aron Griffis-3
solar wrote:  [Tue Mar 21 2006, 03:49:50PM EST]
> No thanks. Spent far to many man hours on this one already.

Ok, here's the current count:

    yes: agriffis, az, seemant
    no: solar

Other council members?

Re: Ciaran, Infra

solar-4
On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 15:49 -0500, solar wrote:

> On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 11:11 -0500, Aron Griffis wrote:
> > Are council members willing to meet this week to talk about infra's
> > action?  My own thinking is pretty muddy at the moment and I'd
> > appreciate the opportunity to gain your perspective.  If possible, I'd
> > like the entire council to meet, not just a subset, because I would
> > like a well-rounded discussion and eventual consensus on the best
> > course for Gentoo.
> >
> > How about tomorrow (Wednesday) 1900 UTC?
>
> No thanks. Spent far to many man hours on this one already.

Now that I've gotten home allow me to clarify. I have no problem with
having a meeting if we must but I'm defiantly not in favor of having one
while any party in question is parading around like a brat stirring up
trouble (IRC for example) when our devs time is better spent coding and
working on the things we/they love like the distro itself.

If we have a meeting it should be after we get a formal request from
either infra or devrel. Only if after they are not able to work out a
compromise themselves after having a formal meeting of their own.
If that's what they want to do.

Pretty much I'm not comfortable running around sticking our noses in
before the respective teams have had a chance to work it out.

--
Ned Ludd <[hidden email]>
Gentoo Linux

Re: Ciaran, Infra

Mike Frysinger
On Tuesday 21 March 2006 16:00, Aron Griffis wrote:

> solar wrote:  [Tue Mar 21 2006, 03:49:50PM EST]
>
> > No thanks. Spent far to many man hours on this one already.
>
> Ok, here's the current count:
>
>     yes: agriffis, az, seemant
>     no: solar
>
> Other council members?

i'll be around hopefully
-mike

Re: Ciaran, Infra

Aron Griffis-3
I *think* we can call this meeting off.  Current emails on -core say
that devrel and infra are planning to meet to try to work things out.
Does anybody think that the council should meet regardless?  If not,
I say we wait to see what happens.

Aron

Re: Ciaran, Infra

Thierry Carrez
Aron Griffis wrote:

> Other council members?

Sorry about that.
Like my devaway says, I was out for the week.

For the record, I think we have two problems here. Ciaran's repetitive
inability to work as a nice teammate, and "Infra" (not to name names)
god's complex.

Both should IMHO be addressed.

--
Koon