Council meeting summary for meeting on June 11, 2009

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Council meeting summary for meeting on June 11, 2009

Thomas Anderson-10
Here is the summary from Thursday's council meeting. The full log along with the
summary will appear shortly at http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council.

Regards,
Thomas
--
---------
Thomas Anderson
Gentoo Developer
/////////
Areas of responsibility:
AMD64, Secretary to the Gentoo Council
---------

councilsummary-20090611.txt (3K) Download Attachment
attachment1 (205 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Bans in #-council [WAS] Council meeting summary for meeting on June 11, 2009

Donnie Berkholz-2
On 12:06 Wed 17 Jun     , Thomas Anderson wrote:
> The ban was later reversed by Doug Goldstein(Cardoe) because it had
> not been put to a council vote as all bans in #-council are.

Since when? I've never heard of this. I've banned people in there with a
note to other council members (for the simple sake of good
communication) and no vote ever happened except by lack of objection.

--
Thanks,
Donnie

Donnie Berkholz
Developer, Gentoo Linux
Blog: http://dberkholz.wordpress.com

attachment0 (205 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: Bans in #-council [WAS] Council meeting summary for meeting on June 11, 2009

Doug Goldstein
On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 10:40 PM, Donnie Berkholz<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12:06 Wed 17 Jun     , Thomas Anderson wrote:
>> The ban was later reversed by Doug Goldstein(Cardoe) because it had
>> not been put to a council vote as all bans in #-council are.
>
> Since when? I've never heard of this. I've banned people in there with a
> note to other council members (for the simple sake of good
> communication) and no vote ever happened except by lack of objection.
>
> --
> Thanks,
> Donnie
>
> Donnie Berkholz
> Developer, Gentoo Linux
> Blog: http://dberkholz.wordpress.com
>

Donnie,

In the past you've e-mailed all of us and told us about the situation
and the rest of us agreed with your action. In this case, there was no
e-mail and more then half of the council members didn't see
justification for the ban based on the conversation at hand. While
some of the comments at hand were snide, a lot of the confusion was as
a result of the language barrier. I know the language barrier has
caused a problem for some of us one time or another. In fact, dev-zero
and I have had our share of disagreements as a result of the language
barrier. At the same time, dev-zero and I have worked together on
quite a few projects and had positive experiences together. We decided
in the meeting to let emotions cool and toss it to e-mail. If anyone
wanted to see igli banned, to send an e-mail to all the council
members (it didn't even have to be on the ML) and we'd go from there.
To date, no such e-mail has come. The only e-mails are just throwing
fuel on a fire which no longer exists.

--
Doug Goldstein

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: Bans in #-council [WAS] Council meeting summary for meeting on June 11, 2009

Donnie Berkholz-2
On 23:35 Fri 19 Jun     , Doug Goldstein wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 10:40 PM, Donnie Berkholz<[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On 12:06 Wed 17 Jun     , Thomas Anderson wrote:
> >> The ban was later reversed by Doug Goldstein(Cardoe) because it had
> >> not been put to a council vote as all bans in #-council are.
> >
> > Since when? I've never heard of this. I've banned people in there with a
> > note to other council members (for the simple sake of good
> > communication) and no vote ever happened except by lack of objection.
>
> In the past you've e-mailed all of us and told us about the situation
> and the rest of us agreed with your action. In this case, there was no
> e-mail and more then half of the council members didn't see
> justification for the ban based on the conversation at hand. While
> some of the comments at hand were snide, a lot of the confusion was as
> a result of the language barrier. I know the language barrier has
> caused a problem for some of us one time or another. In fact, dev-zero
> and I have had our share of disagreements as a result of the language
> barrier. At the same time, dev-zero and I have worked together on
> quite a few projects and had positive experiences together. We decided
> in the meeting to let emotions cool and toss it to e-mail. If anyone
> wanted to see igli banned, to send an e-mail to all the council
> members (it didn't even have to be on the ML) and we'd go from there.
> To date, no such e-mail has come. The only e-mails are just throwing
> fuel on a fire which no longer exists.
Thanks for the clarification. My problem is just with the wording in the
summary, then, as it implies that banning can't happen until *after* a
vote.

--
Thanks,
Donnie

Donnie Berkholz
Developer, Gentoo Linux
Blog: http://dberkholz.wordpress.com

attachment0 (205 bytes) Download Attachment