Debian forked, because of systemd brouhaha

Re: Debian forked, because of systemd brouhaha

»Q«
On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 07:43:21 +0300
Andrew Savchenko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Nov 2014 17:32:08 +0100 Marc Stürmer wrote:
> > Am 29.11.2014 um 11:11 schrieb Pandu Poluan:
> >
> > > What do you think, people? Shouldn't we offer them our eudev
> > > project to assist?
> >
> > Since Eudev has always been opensource under the GPLv2, like udev
> > too, there's no need to /offer/ it.
> >
> > If they choose to use it, they can use it, no offer/questions
> > necessary. Simple.
>
> As far as I understand, Pandu meant "we can recommend them to use",
> but not some offer in commercial or proprietary terms.

They've added something called "devuan-eudev" to their github workspace
today, <https://github.com/devuan/devuan-eudev>.  It would be nice if
there could be one eudev project with the aim of supporting Gentoo,
Devuan, and whatever other distros want to use it.  Or if there must be
multiple eudevs, it would be nice if the different teams could
communicate and maybe take some patches from each other.  (I'm no dev,
so take my opinions on "what would be nice" for development with a
chunk of salt.)

Re: Debian forked, because of systemd brouhaha

Pandu Poluan
On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 9:54 AM, »Q« <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 07:43:21 +0300
> Andrew Savchenko <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > Since Eudev has always been opensource under the GPLv2, like udev
>> > too, there's no need to /offer/ it.
>> >
>> > If they choose to use it, they can use it, no offer/questions
>> > necessary. Simple.
>>
>> As far as I understand, Pandu meant "we can recommend them to use",
>> but not some offer in commercial or proprietary terms.

Yup, that's what I meant.

Sorry for the confusion; I'm not a native English speaker, so I may
have used an improper verb there :-)

> They've added something called "devuan-eudev" to their github workspace
> today, <https://github.com/devuan/devuan-eudev>.  It would be nice if
> there could be one eudev project with the aim of supporting Gentoo,
> Devuan, and whatever other distros want to use it.  Or if there must be
> multiple eudevs, it would be nice if the different teams could
> communicate and maybe take some patches from each other.  (I'm no dev,
> so take my opinions on "what would be nice" for development with a
> chunk of salt.)

Actually, that's my point by saying "offer": Rather than letting them
build eudev from scratch, let's work together on the eudev we have,
promote it to something distro-neutral, then let Gentoo and Devuan
(and whatever other distros) derive from that 'upstream'

Uh, I do make myself clear(er) here, don't I?

Rgds,
--
FdS Pandu E Poluan
~ IT Optimizer ~

 • LOPSA Member #15248
 • Blog : http://pandu.poluan.info/blog/
 • Linked-In : http://id.linkedin.com/in/pepoluan

Re: Debian forked, because of systemd brouhaha

Marc Stuermer
Am 01.12.2014 um 09:22 schrieb Pandu Poluan:

> Actually, that's my point by saying "offer": Rather than letting them
> build eudev from scratch, let's work together on the eudev we have,
> promote it to something distro-neutral, then let Gentoo and Devuan
> (and whatever other distros) derive from that 'upstream'

Eudev is an already established opensource project with a working
infrastructure and development team.

It's got a leader, it's got an IRC channel, an open git repository for
development and even a home page.

So if they want to work with the already established team, I am sure
they are welcome to add their man power to it.

The building blocks are all there in place, they just need to come over
and start working together.

Also I do think that veteran unix admins do know how OSS development
does work and how not; so if they fork Eudev instead of working together
I presume they have their reasons for it.

Re: Debian forked, because of systemd brouhaha

Joerg Schilling-3
Neil Bothwick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 13:01:33 +0000, Mick wrote:
>
> > Nevertheless, I support moving away from a RHL sponsored
> > monolithic binary and hopefully if not today it will happen eventually.
>
> systemd isn't monolithic so I can only assume you are referring to the
> Linux kernel here :)

From the discussions I had on the IRC #debianfork channel, it seems that it is
structured but it forms a quasi monolitic phalanx.

Jörg

--
 EMail:[hidden email]                    (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
       [hidden email] (work) Blog: http://schily.blogspot.com/

12