Dependency info is missing! Run /sbin/depscan.sh

Dependency info is missing! Run /sbin/depscan.sh

Daevid Vincent
*sigh*

Why is there always something breaking?

I did some updates to 'world' and 'system' last night as I've done a hundred
times before. Everything seemed to be going fine. I don't believe I updated
anything sensitive. I don't believe I rm'd anything important.

I was happily/frustratingly trying to figure out why X7 doesn't work with my
'nvidia' driver. And was mildly relieved to get the 'nv' driver working so
at least I had a GUI.

I was all 'etc-update' caught up and current.

I decided to reboot to make sure everything was going to be good and no
surprises... Of course that was wishful thinking when it comes to Linux...

At some point in the bootup process towards the end, just after "Cleaning
/tmp directory" I start getting a few of these:

* Dependancy info is missing! Please run
*   #/sbin/depscan.sh
* to fix this.

Well, of course I do run that script and it does absolutely nothing. No
output. No anything.

I can't get networking to work.
"/etc/init.d/net.eth0 start" gives the same error, as does any other script
in that directory.

"ifconfig" just returns nothing.

Google for '"dependency info is missing" /sbin/depscan.sh' turns up nothing
useful.
And bugs.gentoo.org has 4 bugs for "/sbin/depscan.sh" but none seem right.

I tried "emerge --metadata" (I'm just wildly guessing at this point), to no
avail.

This forum suggested:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=128368
"touch /var/lib/init.d/softlevel" which I did. Again, pure failure.

Anyone else encounter this marvelous thorn in their side too or better yet,
have a solution?

Re: Dependency info is missing! Run /sbin/depscan.sh

Sergio Polini
Daevid Vincent:
> * Dependancy info is missing! Please run
> *   #/sbin/depscan.sh
> * to fix this.
>
> Well, of course I do run that script and it does absolutely
> nothing. No output. No anything.

I'ld try remerging baselayout.

HTH
Sergio

RE: Dependency info is missing! Run /sbin/depscan.sh

Daevid Vincent
How can I do that when I don't have networking?! :(

Bugzilla from bigfish@asmallpond.org
On 4/10/06, Daevid Vincent <[hidden email]> wrote:
> *sigh*
>
> Why is there always something breaking?

Maybe a ~x86 system just isn't for you....

> * Dependancy info is missing! Please run
> *   #/sbin/depscan.sh
> * to fix this.

This message is generated by /lib/rcscripts/sh/rc-services.sh.  It
tries to read /var/lib/init.d/deptree, and looks for a specific
variable to be set that indicates the dependacy information was read.

Does /var/lib/init.d/deptree exist on your system?  It should have
several hundred lines in the form of:

RC_DEPEND_TREE[0]=69
RC_DEPEND_TREE[10]="consolefont"
RC_DEPEND_TREE[10+2]="keymaps localmount"
RC_DEPEND_TREE[10+3]=
RC_DEPEND_TREE[10+4]=
RC_DEPEND_TREE[10+5]=
RC_DEPEND_TREE[10+6]="local"

You can also try running depscan.sh with the --debug option to see
what, exactly, it does.

My best guess at this point though is that /var/lib/init.d no longer
exists for some reason.  Is /var a separate filesystem?  Did it get
mounted?

-Richard

Re: Dependency info is missing! Run /sbin/depscan.sh

Bugzilla from bigfish@asmallpond.org
On 4/10/06, Daevid Vincent <[hidden email]> wrote:
> How can I do that when I don't have networking?! :(

You should not need networking, unless your distfiles is on a network
filesystem.  But even if you do, you can bring it up manually with
dhcpcd or ifconfig+route.  If it is wireless, you can use iwconfig to
manually set the essid and any necessary encryption.  Even if you are
using wpa-supplicant, it can be done manually.

Although my opinion is that remerging baselayout is unlikely to help.

-Richard

Re: Dependency info is missing! Run /sbin/depscan.sh

Sergio Polini
Daevid Vincent:

> How can I do that when I don't have networking?! :(

Chek Richard Fish's advice.
However, you surely can remerge what you have alreary emerged once ;-)
You do not clean /usr/portage/distfiles. Do you?

RE: Dependency info is missing! Run /sbin/depscan.sh

Daevid Vincent

Yes. Of course. Otherwise it just fills up my hard drive with out-dated
stuff. This is a notebook. It doesn't have unlimited size.

Re: Dependency info is missing! Run /sbin/depscan.sh

Daniel da Veiga
On 4/10/06, Richard Fish <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 4/10/06, Daevid Vincent <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > *sigh*
> >
> > Why is there always something breaking?
>
> Maybe a ~x86 system just isn't for you....

I'll second this one... You don't seem prepared for the testing tree...

> > * Dependancy info is missing! Please run
> > *   #/sbin/depscan.sh
> > * to fix this.
>
> This message is generated by /lib/rcscripts/sh/rc-services.sh.  It
> tries to read /var/lib/init.d/deptree, and looks for a specific
> variable to be set that indicates the dependacy information was read.
>
> Does /var/lib/init.d/deptree exist on your system?  It should have
> several hundred lines in the form of:
>
> RC_DEPEND_TREE[0]=69
> RC_DEPEND_TREE[10]="consolefont"
> RC_DEPEND_TREE[10+2]="keymaps localmount"
> RC_DEPEND_TREE[10+3]=
> RC_DEPEND_TREE[10+4]=
> RC_DEPEND_TREE[10+5]=
> RC_DEPEND_TREE[10+6]="local"
>
> You can also try running depscan.sh with the --debug option to see
> what, exactly, it does.
>
> My best guess at this point though is that /var/lib/init.d no longer
> exists for some reason.  Is /var a separate filesystem?  Did it get
> mounted?

Yes, that's my bet too, maybe a baselayout update followed by a wrong
etc-update?! I once had to remove the file and reemerge the app so it
would update the configuration.

To do that, I booted the livecd, chrooted and reemerged the failing
app, you could do that for your system, you'll probably get networking
without mess with ifconfig or iwconfig (because you seem unfamiliar
with these tools). There you could reemerge it all, even update it,
but sincerely, you should not need network to reemerge something
already emerged once (don't clean your distfiles before being sure you
don't need them anymore).

--
Daniel da Veiga
Computer Operator - RS - Brazil

RE: Dependency info is missing! Run /sbin/depscan.sh

Daevid Vincent
Richard, once again I thank you for your knowledge.

> Maybe a ~x86 system just isn't for you....

I didn't realize ~x86 was going to be such a headache. When I first
installed gentoo, I read a lot of debates on the list and most people said
that ~x86 was fairly "stable". Plus it seems there is such a LONG lag before
things are marked as stable. Plus for a while (again, this is going on two
years ago now I've had this notebook setup) many of the packages didn't have
"stable" ebuilds, or worse, they were marked stable, but a dependency
package was ~x86 so you had to edit package.keywords and add them...

Anyways, I think I'm committed at this point ;-)

> > * Dependancy info is missing! Please run
> > *   #/sbin/depscan.sh
> > * to fix this.
>
> This message is generated by /lib/rcscripts/sh/rc-services.sh.  It
> tries to read /var/lib/init.d/deptree, and looks for a specific
> variable to be set that indicates the dependacy information was read.
>
> Does /var/lib/init.d/deptree exist on your system?

locutus ~ # ll /var/lib/init.d/
total 84
drwxr-xr-x   6 root root  4096 Apr 10 14:48 .
drwxr-xr-x  35 root root  4096 Apr  7 02:59 ..
-rw-r--r--   1 root root 46801 Apr 10 02:36 depcache
-rw-------   1 root root  4096 Nov  9  2004 depcache.Xm3aOuR
-rw-r--r--   1 root root     0 Apr 10 02:36 deptree
-rw-r--r--   1 root root  4328 Nov  9  2004 envcache
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root  4096 Apr 10 14:48 options
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root  4096 Apr 10 14:48 snapshot
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root  4096 Apr 10 14:48 softscripts
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root  4096 Apr 10 14:48 started

My file is empty?! :(

How did this happen? I didn't even know this file/directory existed till
now. *I* certainly didn't do anything to wipe it out. And this is a single
user notebook -- just me.

Is there a way to rebuild this file?

> It should have several hundred lines in the form of:
> RC_DEPEND_TREE[0]=69
> RC_DEPEND_TREE[10]="consolefont"
> RC_DEPEND_TREE[10+2]="keymaps localmount"
> RC_DEPEND_TREE[10+3]=
> RC_DEPEND_TREE[10+4]=
> RC_DEPEND_TREE[10+5]=
> RC_DEPEND_TREE[10+6]="local"
>
> You can also try running depscan.sh with the --debug option to see
> what, exactly, it does.

locutus ~ # /sbin/depscan.sh --debug
+ shift
+ [[ -n '' ]]
+ [[ ! -d /var/lib/init.d ]]
+ for x in softscripts snapshot options started
+ [[ ! -d /var/lib/init.d/softscripts ]]
+ for x in softscripts snapshot options started
+ [[ ! -d /var/lib/init.d/snapshot ]]
+ for x in softscripts snapshot options started
+ [[ ! -d /var/lib/init.d/options ]]
+ for x in softscripts snapshot options started
+ [[ ! -d /var/lib/init.d/started ]]
+ false
+ for config in /etc/conf.d /etc/init.d /etc/rc.conf
+ [[ /etc/conf.d -nt /var/lib/init.d/depcache ]]
+ for config in /etc/conf.d /etc/init.d /etc/rc.conf
+ [[ /etc/init.d -nt /var/lib/init.d/depcache ]]
+ for config in /etc/conf.d /etc/init.d /etc/rc.conf
+ [[ /etc/rc.conf -nt /var/lib/init.d/depcache ]]
+ false
+ exit 0

I do "ghost" my partition every few months, so I probably have an old
version of this file in a .gho archive somewhere. If I put it there to
replace the 0 length one, what will be the fall-out?

Re: Dependency info is missing! Run /sbin/depscan.sh

Bugzilla from bigfish@asmallpond.org
On 4/10/06, Daevid Vincent <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Richard, once again I thank you for your knowledge.
>
> > Maybe a ~x86 system just isn't for you....
>
> I didn't realize ~x86 was going to be such a headache. When I first
> installed gentoo, I read a lot of debates on the list and most people said
> that ~x86 was fairly "stable". Plus it seems there is such a LONG lag before
> things are marked as stable. Plus for a while (again, this is going on two
> years ago now I've had this notebook setup) many of the packages didn't have
> "stable" ebuilds, or worse, they were marked stable, but a dependency
> package was ~x86 so you had to edit package.keywords and add them...

Well I think ~x86 is generally usable, but you do have to be a bit
more cautious.  For example, I don't mind --sync every day, but I tend
to delay any updates that involve portage, baselayout, or other
lowlevel system packages until Friday nights, after making a backup,
so I have the whole weekend to pickup the pieces if something should
break.

And today I think if you encounter anything stable that depends on a
~x86 package, it is a bug, and should be filed as such.

> My file is empty?! :(

> Is there a way to rebuild this file?

The job of depscan.sh is to rebuild this file.  But if the file exists
and is newer than the configuration in /etc, it will not do anything,
even it if deptree is empty.  So delete deptree, and run depscan.sh
again with the --debug option.  You should see a bit more happen.

> How did this happen?

A badly timed Ctrl-alt-del or reboot could be the culprit.  There is a
window of opportunity while depscan is running that if it is aborted,
will leave you with an empty file.

-Richard

RE: Dependency info is missing! Run /sbin/depscan.sh [SOLVED]

Daevid Vincent
Thank you Sergio. This seemes to have solved my problem.

For anyone else experiencing this, to get networking, just type:

# ifconfig eth0 192.168.12.45
# route add default gw 192.168.12.254
Then edit /etc/resolv.conf and put in your DNS/nameserver

Then you can just "emerge -Dav baselayout"

I also had to

# touch /var/lib/init.d/softlevel
(mine has the word "default" in it now, FWIW)

I agree fully. That doesn't make it any less frustrating when things go
wrong ;-)

I am fairly cautious. I've learned to not upgrade my servers unless needed,
and I use my notebook as the "testing ground". But there are still slight
differences that cause me headaches here and there.

I've also found that doing these upgrades during the week-days, it's easier
to get someone to respond on the list. Friday night and weekends tend to
have a delay till Monday -- where your email gets lost in a sea of others
and deleted. During the week, people are monitoring their inbox more
frequently and theres a better chance of a reply.

Plus I do this while at my work, so I have another computer to use to get
online and send emails with, if I hose my notebook (like the past few days )
;-)

> And today I think if you encounter anything stable that depends on a
> ~x86 package, it is a bug, and should be filed as such.

Well, again, that was a while ago, and now I'm used to the package.keywords
file...

> > My file is empty?! :(
>

> > Is there a way to rebuild this file?
>
> The job of depscan.sh is to rebuild this file.  But if the file exists
> and is newer than the configuration in /etc, it will not do anything,
> even it if deptree is empty.  So delete deptree, and run depscan.sh
> again with the --debug option.  You should see a bit more happen.

Good to know for future reference.

> > How did this happen?
>
> A badly timed Ctrl-alt-del or reboot could be the culprit.  There is a
> window of opportunity while depscan is running that if it is aborted,
> will leave you with an empty file.

Ah. Well glad to know it's not anything that couldn't be rebuilt. It seems
that 'baselayout' did that for me.

As always Richard, I think you for your patience and knowledge.

I also really got a kick out of your name/email address... So CLEVER! :D

Re: Dependency info is missing! Run /sbin/depscan.sh

Bugzilla from bigfish@asmallpond.org
On 4/10/06, Daevid Vincent <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Ah. Well glad to know it's not anything that couldn't be rebuilt. It seems
> that 'baselayout' did that for me.

Yep, merging baselayout touches /etc/init.d, and runs depscan.sh in
the post-install steps.

I guess another case where things could go bad is if you ran out of
space on /var at a critical point, the depscan.sh could fail.  And the
way the post-install steps run depscan, you would not see any failures
from it.

> I also really got a kick out of your name/email address... So CLEVER! :D

Thanks!

-Richard