Dig

Willie Wong
This is a really stupid question:

  What package is the command `dig' in?

I suspect it to be in some package in net-analyzer, but I couldn't
find any obvious candidates.

Thanks in advance

 An engineer is walking along and runs across a talking frog.

 The frog says "I am a princess, and if you kiss me, I will turn back
 into a princess and be your girlfriend."

 Then engineer mutters "Neat", picks up the frog, puts it in his back
 pocket, and continues walking.

 The frog kicked the engineer, prompting him to pull the frog out. The
 frog said, "My daddy is rich, and if you kiss me, he will reward you
 handsomely." The engineer shrugged his shoulders and replaced the
 frog in his pocket.

 A couple minutes later, the frog kicked him again. This time the frog
 asked, "Why won't you kiss me? I will make you rich and be your
 girlfriend."

 The engineer replied "Look, lady. I am an engineer and have no use
 for a girlfriend. But a talking frog is cool!"
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 3 days, 19:58

Re: Dig

Nick Rout

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 22:40:01 -0500
Willie Wong wrote:

> This is a really stupid question:
>
>   What package is the command `dig' in?
>
> I suspect it to be in some package in net-analyzer, but I couldn't
> find any obvious candidates.
>
> Thanks in advance

bind-tools

--
Nick Rout <[hidden email]>

Re: Dig

James-2
Willie Wong <wwong <at> Princeton.EDU> writes:

>   What package is the command `dig' in?

equery belongs dig

is a really nifty search tool....

James

Re: Re: Dig

Willie Wong
On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 04:08:01PM +0000, James wrote:
> Willie Wong <wwong <at> Princeton.EDU> writes:
>

> >   What package is the command `dig' in?
>
> equery belongs dig
>
> is a really nifty search tool....

except it doesn't work when bind-tools isn't ALREADY installed. =D

I was trying to find out which package to emerge.

Thanks all the same,

"Fucking shit, man, this is ridiculous."
"Ben...this is what Princeton is like:
(mimes delivering a beating with a large, blunt object.) Wham, wham, wham.
(mimes shaking hand.) Here's your degree. Except the 'Whams' take four years."
"Urgh..."
~DeathMech, Some Student. P-town PHY 205
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 4 days,  9:23

Re: Dig

James-2
Willie Wong <wwong <at> Princeton.EDU> writes:

> > >   What package is the command `dig' in?
> > equery belongs dig
> > is a really nifty search tool....

> except it doesn't work when bind-tools isn't ALREADY installed. =D

> I was trying to find out which package to emerge.

Yes it would require you to search or have somebody search on a system
that has the package already installed. I have one of my gentoo sytems
with tons of stuff install, the rest are fairly targeted as to what's
installed.

Which brings me to another point. Maybe the developers could run  an equery
covering thousands of commands (sub-packages if you like) against the
installation base and parse it out into a human browsable form.

Debian has such an index, and I often visit to see what software can do what.
Unless I've missed the wiki, there's really no place at all to read about
the various pacakges available on Gentoo.

James

Re: Re: Dig

Nick Rout

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 23:23:50 +0000 (UTC)
James wrote:

> Debian has such an index, and I often visit to see what software can do what.
> Unless I've missed the wiki, there's really no place at all to read about
> the various pacakges available on Gentoo.
>
> James

Read the archives. This is impractical because any given package may or
may not install a particular file depending on what USE flags are
applied to the compilation process.

And i doubt that there is a system in existence that has every package
installed - for a start some packages block others.

--
Nick Rout <[hidden email]>

Re: Dig

James-2
Nick Rout <nick <at> rout.co.nz> writes:

> > Debian has such an index, and I often visit to see what software can do what.
> > Unless I've missed the wiki, there's really no place at all to read about
> > the various pacakges available on Gentoo.

> Read the archives. This is impractical because any given package may or
> may not install a particular file depending on what USE flags are
> applied to the compilation process.

I think you are missing the point, a list with a description of the packages
could be generated like Debian does. One would not need to list every
possibility of compiled options but the general description would be good,
along with some details of such features, such as dig as key components
of the package.

Nick, check it out, it's a pretty cool list:
http://packages.debian.org/testing/
This listing and package/software categorization is one of the things
Debian does very well. The list is actually one of three for
Stable, Testing, and Unstable.

> And i doubt that there is a system in existence that has every package
> installed - for a start some packages block others.

I never said every, just many (tons) of the most commonly used packages.
I found dig and what package it belonged to looking on this system.

James

Re: Re: Dig

Nick Rout
On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 03:11:43 +0000 (UTC)
James <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Nick Rout <nick <at> rout.co.nz> writes:
>

> > > Debian has such an index, and I often visit to see what software can do what.
> > > Unless I've missed the wiki, there's really no place at all to read about
> > > the various pacakges available on Gentoo.
>
> > Read the archives. This is impractical because any given package may or
> > may not install a particular file depending on what USE flags are
> > applied to the compilation process.
>
> I think you are missing the point, a list with a description of the packages
> could be generated like Debian does. One would not need to list every
> possibility of compiled options but the general description would be good,
> along with some details of such features, such as dig as key components
> of the package.
>
> Nick, check it out, it's a pretty cool list:
> http://packages.debian.org/testing/
> This listing and package/software categorization is one of the things
> Debian does very well. The list is actually one of three for
> Stable, Testing, and Unstable.
>
> > And i doubt that there is a system in existence that has every package
> > installed - for a start some packages block others.
>
> I never said every, just many (tons) of the most commonly used packages.
> I found dig and what package it belonged to looking on this system.

packages.gentoo.org

> James

Re: Re: Dig

Iain Buchanan
On Thu, 2005-11-17 at 16:33 +1300, Nick Rout wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 03:11:43 +0000 (UTC)
> James <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > Read the archives. This is impractical because any given package may or
> > > may not install a particular file depending on what USE flags are
> > > applied to the compilation process.
> >
> > I think you are missing the point, a list with a description of the packages
> > could be generated like Debian does. One would not need to list every
> > possibility of compiled options but the general description would be good,
> > along with some details of such features, such as dig as key components
> > of the package.
> >
> > Nick, check it out, it's a pretty cool list:
> > http://packages.debian.org/testing/
> > This listing and package/software categorization is one of the things
> > Debian does very well. The list is actually one of three for
> > Stable, Testing, and Unstable.
> >
> > > And i doubt that there is a system in existence that has every package
> > > installed - for a start some packages block others.
> >
> > I never said every, just many (tons) of the most commonly used packages.
> > I found dig and what package it belonged to looking on this system.

emerge -S dig

but that seems to take about 3 years longer than last time I used it, so
there are various packages made to speed this up, such as:

esearch -S dig
--
Iain Buchanan <[hidden email]>

Re: Dig

James-2
Nick Rout <nick <at> rout.co.nz> writes:

> > Nick, check it out, it's a pretty cool list:
> > http://packages.debian.org/testing/

> packages.gentoo.org

Nick, the Debian list is organized by category and quite easy to browse
and read. The gentoo list is not nearly as well organized as the
Debian list, from my viewpoint.

James

Re: Re: Dig

Nick Rout
On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 04:11:57 +0000 (UTC)
James <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Nick Rout <nick <at> rout.co.nz> writes:
>

> > > Nick, check it out, it's a pretty cool list:
> > > http://packages.debian.org/testing/
>
> > packages.gentoo.org
>
> Nick, the Debian list is organized by category and quite easy to browse
> and read. The gentoo list is not nearly as well organized as the
> Debian list, from my viewpoint.
>
> James

you can search by category on packages.gentoo.org, and also using eix.

then again gentoo is a community effort, you make an interface as you
describe, and if it is as good as you say the gentoo world will beat a
path to your door.

simple huh?

Re: Dig

James-2
Nick Rout <nick <at> rout.co.nz> writes:

> > Nick, the Debian list is organized by category and quite easy to browse
> > and read. The gentoo list is not nearly as well organized as the
> > Debian list, from my viewpoint.

> you can search by category on packages.gentoo.org, and also using eix.

> then again gentoo is a community effort, you make an interface as you
> describe, and if it is as good as you say the gentoo world will beat a
> path to your door.

> simple huh?

Nick,

Actually, I'm getting to know gentoo better and better every day.
I hope to be contributing soon. I like to write 'cook books'
and howtos....

James

Re: Re: Dig

Nick Rout
On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 22:38:22 +0000 (UTC)
James <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Nick Rout <nick <at> rout.co.nz> writes:
>

> > > Nick, the Debian list is organized by category and quite easy to browse
> > > and read. The gentoo list is not nearly as well organized as the
> > > Debian list, from my viewpoint.
>
> > you can search by category on packages.gentoo.org, and also using eix.
>
> > then again gentoo is a community effort, you make an interface as you
> > describe, and if it is as good as you say the gentoo world will beat a
> > path to your door.
>
> > simple huh?
>
> Nick,
>
> Actually, I'm getting to know gentoo better and better every day.
> I hope to be contributing soon. I like to write 'cook books'
> and howtos....
>
> James

Yeah, I have often thought of asking to join the documentation group
but then I get busy (business,family,life) and realise I would probably
only let the side down.