Drop Java support on Gentoo HPPA ?

Guy Martin-2
Hi all,

Basically, there is currently only a broken support for java on hppa.
As you may know, there are no useable vm. Afaik, only sablevm and kaffe are compiling.

There are several problems with those two :
 - they don't really fit in the Gentoo versionning scheme that is used by the other vms like blackdown and sun
 - they don't support enough java to run any decent app
 - they are untested and may not even be working

For theses reasons, I would like to completely drop java support from hppa.

People on IRC were for dropping it but I'd like to ask more people.
Also, if it's decided to keep it, somebody will have to volonteer for this.

Thanks for your feedback !
  Guy

--
Guy Martin
Gentoo Linux - HPPA port Lead

Re: Drop Java support on Gentoo HPPA ?

Tobias Scherbaum
> For theses reasons, I would like to completely drop java support from hppa.

+1

wkr,
  Tobias

Re: Drop Java support on Gentoo HPPA ?

Mauro Maroni
> For theses reasons, I would like to completely drop java support from hppa.
>
> People on IRC were for dropping it but I'd like to ask more people.

I am for dropping it as well

Regards,
Mauro

Re: Drop Java support on Gentoo HPPA ?

Matthias Bethke-2
Hi Guy,
on Saturday, 2006-05-27 at 11:37:58, you wrote:
> For theses reasons, I would like to completely drop java support from hppa.

I agree, never used it.

cheers!
        Matthias
--
I prefer encrypted and signed messages. KeyID: FAC37665
Fingerprint: 8C16 3F0A A6FC DF0D 19B0  8DEF 48D9 1700 FAC3 7665

Re: Drop Java support on Gentoo HPPA ?

Brett Johnson-3
On Sat, May 27, 2006 at 11:37:58AM +0200, Guy Martin wrote:

> For theses reasons, I would like to completely drop java support from hppa.

I can't foresee a need for Java on hppa.

Re: Drop Java support on Gentoo HPPA ?

Graham Gower
Had no idea it worked.
Don't care.

Re: Drop Java support on Gentoo HPPA ?

Guy Martin-2

Allright,

After one week, it sounds like nobody likes/needs java.

Let's drop it ! :)

--
Guy Martin
Gentoo Linux - HPPA port Lead