Emerging Tomcat without Eclipse

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Emerging Tomcat without Eclipse

Matthew Smith
Hi,

I am trying to install the Tomcat server (specifically
www-servers/tomcat-8.0.30:8::gentoo).
However, it depends on eclipse-ecj -- I am unsure of the reasoning
behind this, but it is quite annoying because emerging this would
bring in X and many other unwated packages.

Is there a way to install Tomcat 8 without Eclipse? I did not see a
USE flag for this.

Thanks

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Emerging Tomcat without Eclipse

James Le Cuirot
On Sat, 20 Feb 2016 17:43:13 +0000
Matthew Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am trying to install the Tomcat server (specifically
> www-servers/tomcat-8.0.30:8::gentoo).
> However, it depends on eclipse-ecj -- I am unsure of the reasoning
> behind this, but it is quite annoying because emerging this would
> bring in X and many other unwated packages.

eclipse-ecj is not the whole of Eclipse but just the Java compiler it
uses internally. It has long been a requirement of Tomcat. It is very
small and carries no dependencies that you wouldn't already get from
Tomcat itself.

--
James Le Cuirot (chewi)
Gentoo Linux Developer

attachment0 (970 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Emerging Tomcat without Eclipse

Matthew Smith
I now understand that eclipse-ecj is a requirement of Tomcat, however
I do not understand why it requires X11.
After removing the alsa, cups and gtk use flags from icedtea-bin,
emerge still wants to pull in X11 and an assortment of packages
related to X11.
Do you have any ideas on how I can emerge tomcat without bringing in
X? I'd rather keep my server headless.

Thanks again.

On 20 February 2016 at 18:02, James Le Cuirot <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Feb 2016 17:43:13 +0000
> Matthew Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I am trying to install the Tomcat server (specifically
>> www-servers/tomcat-8.0.30:8::gentoo).
>> However, it depends on eclipse-ecj -- I am unsure of the reasoning
>> behind this, but it is quite annoying because emerging this would
>> bring in X and many other unwated packages.
>
> eclipse-ecj is not the whole of Eclipse but just the Java compiler it
> uses internally. It has long been a requirement of Tomcat. It is very
> small and carries no dependencies that you wouldn't already get from
> Tomcat itself.
>
> --
> James Le Cuirot (chewi)
> Gentoo Linux Developer

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Emerging Tomcat without Eclipse

Claudio Roberto França Pereira

Use emerge with the -t option to show the tree of dependencies, and it will help you understand what is pulling xorg into the list of packages to be merged.

On Feb 20, 2016 4:10 PM, "Matthew Smith" <[hidden email]> wrote:
I now understand that eclipse-ecj is a requirement of Tomcat, however
I do not understand why it requires X11.
After removing the alsa, cups and gtk use flags from icedtea-bin,
emerge still wants to pull in X11 and an assortment of packages
related to X11.
Do you have any ideas on how I can emerge tomcat without bringing in
X? I'd rather keep my server headless.

Thanks again.

On 20 February 2016 at 18:02, James Le Cuirot <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Feb 2016 17:43:13 +0000
> Matthew Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I am trying to install the Tomcat server (specifically
>> www-servers/tomcat-8.0.30:8::gentoo).
>> However, it depends on eclipse-ecj -- I am unsure of the reasoning
>> behind this, but it is quite annoying because emerging this would
>> bring in X and many other unwated packages.
>
> eclipse-ecj is not the whole of Eclipse but just the Java compiler it
> uses internally. It has long been a requirement of Tomcat. It is very
> small and carries no dependencies that you wouldn't already get from
> Tomcat itself.
>
> --
> James Le Cuirot (chewi)
> Gentoo Linux Developer

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Emerging Tomcat without Eclipse

James Le Cuirot
In reply to this post by Matthew Smith
On Sat, 20 Feb 2016 18:09:47 +0000
Matthew Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I now understand that eclipse-ecj is a requirement of Tomcat, however
> I do not understand why it requires X11.
> After removing the alsa, cups and gtk use flags from icedtea-bin,
> emerge still wants to pull in X11 and an assortment of packages
> related to X11.
> Do you have any ideas on how I can emerge tomcat without bringing in
> X? I'd rather keep my server headless.

Set the headless-awt USE flag against icedtea-bin. Note the description.

  Don't install the X backend for AWT, needed by some GUIs
  (used to be X flag)

Admittedly it is unusual to set a flag to *not* install something but
we couldn't really call the flag headful-awt or non-headless-awt. This
name was chosen with input from upstream.

We stopped using the X flag because in the case of oracle-jdk-bin, both
AWT and JavaFX require X11. We needed to be able to differentiate
between these and we wanted to keep the flags consistent across the
different JVM packages.

--
James Le Cuirot (chewi)
Gentoo Linux Developer

attachment0 (970 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Emerging Tomcat without Eclipse

Matthew Smith
Setting the headless-awt USE flag on icedtea-bin worked fine.

Thank you again for the help.

On 20 February 2016 at 19:22, James Le Cuirot <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Feb 2016 18:09:47 +0000
> Matthew Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I now understand that eclipse-ecj is a requirement of Tomcat, however
>> I do not understand why it requires X11.
>> After removing the alsa, cups and gtk use flags from icedtea-bin,
>> emerge still wants to pull in X11 and an assortment of packages
>> related to X11.
>> Do you have any ideas on how I can emerge tomcat without bringing in
>> X? I'd rather keep my server headless.
>
> Set the headless-awt USE flag against icedtea-bin. Note the description.
>
>   Don't install the X backend for AWT, needed by some GUIs
>   (used to be X flag)
>
> Admittedly it is unusual to set a flag to *not* install something but
> we couldn't really call the flag headful-awt or non-headless-awt. This
> name was chosen with input from upstream.
>
> We stopped using the X flag because in the case of oracle-jdk-bin, both
> AWT and JavaFX require X11. We needed to be able to differentiate
> between these and we wanted to keep the flags consistent across the
> different JVM packages.
>
> --
> James Le Cuirot (chewi)
> Gentoo Linux Developer