Freeze after suspend-to-ram with kernel 3.10

Freeze after suspend-to-ram with kernel 3.10

Frank Steinmetzger
Hey list

My netbook doesn't freeze so often during operation any more. But now it’s
started to not properly wake up from suspend-to-ram. It’s like with my big
laptop: when that one runs on nouveau instead of nvidia-drivers, it behaves
the very same way, i.e. I switch it on and the screen stays blank. Not even
sysrq are working then, only hard power-down.

I tried to confirm my oberservation by deliberately hibernating it multiple
times yesterday -- it always woke up with 3.9. Now I booted it with 3.10 and
it didn't come up on the first try.
Do you have any suggestion how I might debug this? I can’t simply report to
kernel blokes “3.10 is crap on my netbook, you put in a regression somewhere”.

I don’t really have the time right now to go after hunches, such as the new
tikless system, as building a kernel takes up to 45 minutes on that thing.
--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
Please do not share anything from, with or about me with any Facebook service.

Signed: Martin Kelly, Ar-chuh-tect.

Re: Freeze after suspend-to-ram with kernel 3.10

Volker Armin Hemmann
Am 02.08.2013 12:47, schrieb Frank Steinmetzger:

> Hey list
>
> My netbook doesn't freeze so often during operation any more. But now it’s
> started to not properly wake up from suspend-to-ram. It’s like with my big
> laptop: when that one runs on nouveau instead of nvidia-drivers, it behaves
> the very same way, i.e. I switch it on and the screen stays blank. Not even
> sysrq are working then, only hard power-down.
>
> I tried to confirm my oberservation by deliberately hibernating it multiple
> times yesterday -- it always woke up with 3.9. Now I booted it with 3.10 and
> it didn't come up on the first try.
> Do you have any suggestion how I might debug this? I can’t simply report to
> kernel blokes “3.10 is crap on my netbook, you put in a regression somewhere”.
>
> I don’t really have the time right now to go after hunches, such as the new
> tikless system, as building a kernel takes up to 45 minutes on that thing.
well, take your 3.9 config and don't change it.

Re: Freeze after suspend-to-ram with kernel 3.10

Paul Hartman-3
On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 6:21 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 02.08.2013 12:47, schrieb Frank Steinmetzger:
>> Hey list
>>
>> My netbook doesn't freeze so often during operation any more. But now it’s
>> started to not properly wake up from suspend-to-ram. It’s like with my big
>> laptop: when that one runs on nouveau instead of nvidia-drivers, it behaves
>> the very same way, i.e. I switch it on and the screen stays blank. Not even
>> sysrq are working then, only hard power-down.
>>
>> I tried to confirm my oberservation by deliberately hibernating it multiple
>> times yesterday -- it always woke up with 3.9. Now I booted it with 3.10 and
>> it didn't come up on the first try.
>> Do you have any suggestion how I might debug this? I can’t simply report to
>> kernel blokes “3.10 is crap on my netbook, you put in a regression somewhere”.
>>
>> I don’t really have the time right now to go after hunches, such as the new
>> tikless system, as building a kernel takes up to 45 minutes on that thing.
> well, take your 3.9 config and don't change it.

If the config change doesn't reveal anything, you can do git bisect of
the kernel to find out which patch broke it. When you do git bisect
you don't need to recompile the whole kernel every time, it only
compiles the changed files, which are usually not many. So even on a
slower machine it's not so bad once the first compile is finished.

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel_git-bisect

Re: Freeze after suspend-to-ram with kernel 3.10

William Kenworthy
On 02/08/13 18:47, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:

> Hey list
>
> My netbook doesn't freeze so often during operation any more. But now it’s
> started to not properly wake up from suspend-to-ram. It’s like with my big
> laptop: when that one runs on nouveau instead of nvidia-drivers, it behaves
> the very same way, i.e. I switch it on and the screen stays blank. Not even
> sysrq are working then, only hard power-down.
>
> I tried to confirm my oberservation by deliberately hibernating it multiple
> times yesterday -- it always woke up with 3.9. Now I booted it with 3.10 and
> it didn't come up on the first try.
> Do you have any suggestion how I might debug this? I can’t simply report to
> kernel blokes “3.10 is crap on my netbook, you put in a regression somewhere”.
>
> I don’t really have the time right now to go after hunches, such as the new
> tikless system, as building a kernel takes up to 45 minutes on that thing.

I have the same but on a desktop - wont work on anything later than
3.8.13 and I cant find any meaningful messages - yet other machines are
working fine :(

BillK

On Fri, Aug 02, 2013 at 10:02:05AM -0500, Paul Hartman wrote:

> >> I tried to confirm my oberservation by deliberately hibernating it multiple
> >> times yesterday -- it always woke up with 3.9. Now I booted it with 3.10 and
> >> it didn't come up on the first try.
> >> Do you have any suggestion how I might debug this? I can’t simply report to
> >> kernel blokes “3.10 is crap on my netbook, you put in a regression somewhere”.
> >>
> >> I don’t really have the time right now to go after hunches, such as the new
> >> tikless system, as building a kernel takes up to 45 minutes on that thing.
> > well, take your 3.9 config and don't change it.
>
> If the config change doesn't reveal anything, you can do git bisect of
> the kernel to find out which patch broke it. When you do git bisect
> you don't need to recompile the whole kernel every time, it only
> compiles the changed files, which are usually not many. So even on a
> slower machine it's not so bad once the first compile is finished.
>
> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel_git-bisect
I didn't know one could have the git repo only for one subversion
(though I find it very handy for this huge codebase).

Anyhoo, I cleaned out my build dir and oldconfig'ed my 3.9 config, this
time saying no to everything new. As it turned out, the resulting config
was almost identical to my old 3.10 config (except for some crypto stuff
built as a module instead of built-in).
Now I don't have the freezes anymore. One possible reason is that I'm
now using 3.10.4 instead of 3.10.1. Another (more probable) reason is
that I may have forgotten to make clean the first time, which left over
some interfering cruft.
--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
Please do not share anything from, with or about me with any Facebook service.

I am never drunk, I always keel over before that.