Fw: XVR-500 support in Lenny === Sparc Linux

Fw: XVR-500 support in Lenny === Sparc Linux

Ferris McCormick

A few days ago, someone in #gentoo-sparc IRC was asking about this
XVR-500  graphics card, and I don't think he got any response.  This
thread from Debian indicates there is a kernel driver for it.  I don't
know off hand about Xorg support because I don't know what the card is.

Note below for the kernel .config options.

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 00:46:16 +0200
From: Petr Vyslouzil <[hidden email]>
To: Dave Barnett <[hidden email]>
Cc: [hidden email], [hidden email]
Subject: Re: XVR-500 support in Lenny

Dave, Julien, thanks for your replies.

I asked just to make sure I did not miss something obvious (like
the .config file in /boot dir :)). I've been wondering why Debian on
Sparc doesn't have compiled-in drivers for SUN's graphics cards. I can
confirm that sunxvr500 driver works flawlessly even with XVR-600 card
(although lspci shows wrong description), so at least all Sun Blade
[12]500 users would benefit. And I suppose that sunxvr2500 is not any
worse. So, please, could you consider to compile them in? The
difference between OpenBoot ansi terminal and XVR-600 framebuffer is
abysmal.

regards,
        Petr

> Petr:
>
> Well, a google search turned up this page
> (http://merkel.debian.org/~jurij/) which has the Debian kernel
> configurations.
>
> The entry for 2.6.26-8 for sparc, "config-2.6.26-1-sparc64.gz
> <http://merkel.debian.org/%7Ejurij/2.6.26-8/sparc/config-2.6.26-1-sparc64.gz>"
> shows:
>
> # CONFIG_FB_XVR500 is not set
> # CONFIG_FB_XVR2500 is not set
>
> Does that help?
>
> [I was expecting to find information that tells me where the "config"
> file details are contained on a running system (under /proc, I thought),
> but I haven't found that, yet....  Perhaps that functionality isn't
> available / compiled into the sparc kernels...]
>
> Cheers,
> Dave

Ferris

--
Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <[hidden email]>
Developer, Gentoo Linux (Sparc, Userrel, Trustees)