[Fwd: Frozen Video]

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Fwd: Frozen Video]

Drew Tomlinson
I have a box running kernel version 2.6.13-r5, and MythTV 0.18.2 built
from portage. I'm using a video card with the nvidia nv18 chipset
(6600?). I also have a custom xorg modeline for my widescreen HDTV. My
video card is connected via a VGA to component converter. The screen
looks good and regular desktop mode works fine. The mouse moves. MythTV
menus are displayed and the cursor moves around
when I hit the arrow keys.

The problem is when I switch to a video mode. The video freezes at the
first frame. The audio continues and plays just fine. The freezing
problem occurs whether I'm viewing LiveTV, previously recorded shows,
and even video files via MythVideo (uses mplayer). All of this used to
work until I upgraded hardware and rebuilt my system.

I have no idea what the cause might be or where to start looking. Any ideas?

Drew

--

Visit The Alchemist's Warehouse
Magic Tricks, DVDs, Videos, Books, & More!

http://www.alchemistswarehouse.com

--
[hidden email] mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Fwd: Frozen Video]

Nick Rout
On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 16:15:37 -0800
Drew Tomlinson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a box running kernel version 2.6.13-r5, and MythTV 0.18.2 built
> from portage. I'm using a video card with the nvidia nv18 chipset
> (6600?). I also have a custom xorg modeline for my widescreen HDTV. My
> video card is connected via a VGA to component converter. The screen
> looks good and regular desktop mode works fine. The mouse moves. MythTV
> menus are displayed and the cursor moves around
> when I hit the arrow keys.
>
> The problem is when I switch to a video mode. The video freezes at the
> first frame. The audio continues and plays just fine. The freezing
> problem occurs whether I'm viewing LiveTV, previously recorded shows,
> and even video files via MythVideo (uses mplayer). All of this used to
> work until I upgraded hardware and rebuilt my system.
>
> I have no idea what the cause might be or where to start looking. Any ideas?
>
> Drew

try running mplayer from the command line and see what error messages
are given.

also look in the standard places like dmesg and /var/log/Xorg*.log.

You can also run mythfrontend from the command line with verbose
logging.



>
> --
>
> Visit The Alchemist's Warehouse
> Magic Tricks, DVDs, Videos, Books, & More!
>
> http://www.alchemistswarehouse.com
>
> --
> [hidden email] mailing list
>
--
[hidden email] mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Fwd: Frozen Video]

Drew Tomlinson
On 11/5/2005 9:12 PM Nick Rout wrote:

>On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 16:15:37 -0800
>Drew Tomlinson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>  
>
>>I have a box running kernel version 2.6.13-r5, and MythTV 0.18.2 built
>>from portage. I'm using a video card with the nvidia nv18 chipset
>>(6600?). I also have a custom xorg modeline for my widescreen HDTV. My
>>video card is connected via a VGA to component converter. The screen
>>looks good and regular desktop mode works fine. The mouse moves. MythTV
>>menus are displayed and the cursor moves around
>>when I hit the arrow keys.
>>
>>The problem is when I switch to a video mode. The video freezes at the
>>first frame. The audio continues and plays just fine. The freezing
>>problem occurs whether I'm viewing LiveTV, previously recorded shows,
>>and even video files via MythVideo (uses mplayer). All of this used to
>>work until I upgraded hardware and rebuilt my system.
>>
>>I have no idea what the cause might be or where to start looking. Any ideas?
>>
>>Drew
>>    
>>
>
>try running mplayer from the command line and see what error messages
>are given.
>
>also look in the standard places like dmesg and /var/log/Xorg*.log.
>
>You can also run mythfrontend from the command line with verbose
>logging.
>  
>

Thanks for your reply.  mplayer did not indicate any errors, nor did
dmesg.  I didn't think to look in Xorg.log before I fixed the problem.

In upgrading my system to use a component to VGA converter, I copied a
xorg.conf file I found on the web as a starting point.  One of the
modules it loaded was "fbdevhw" which I have no idea what it does.  
Judging by the name, I guess "frame buffer" from "fb" and "development"
from "dev"?  I could not find any info on Google about what modules are
included for X and what they do.  But this module just seemed like it
might be interfering and it wasn't included in my old xorg.conf so I
commented it out and restarted X.  Now the video works fine.

I'd appreciate any link that describes X modules so I could learn more
about them.

Cheers,

Drew

--
Visit The Alchemist's Warehouse
Magic Tricks, DVDs, Videos, Books, & More!

http://www.alchemistswarehouse.com

--
[hidden email] mailing list