G/FreeBSD: 8.0, (almost) new stages and removal of old versions

G/FreeBSD: 8.0, (almost) new stages and removal of old versions

Alexis Ballier-2
Hi all,

I am going to remove all the freebsd ebuilds that are not 7.2; the 6.2
profiles have been gone for a while and ebuilds are really not
maintained, 7.1 profiles have been deprecated for a while too (2
months). If anyone has objections, speak up now!

For those of you who have not updated yet, it is probably simpler to
start a fresh install from the 7.2 stages that I've pushed some months
ago (see experimental/x86/freebsd/7.2/stages/ in the mirrors). I have
not received rants against those stages so I'll assume they're fine :)
About sparc-fbsd, I have (thanks to Monkeh) access to a sparc-fbsd box
where I've put a 7.2 but the port is more surviving than anything else.
The box doesn't have enough disk space to build stages for example,
thus I am nowhere near to be able to push new stages.

As for 8.0, I'll start playing with it now; if any of you have started
to play with it and wanna share the experience, please poke me.

Regards,

Alexis.

Re: G/FreeBSD: 8.0, (almost) new stages and removal of old versions

Javier Villavicencio-2
On 11/01/2010 12:00 p.m., Alexis Ballier wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am going to remove all the freebsd ebuilds that are not 7.2; the 6.2
> profiles have been gone for a while and ebuilds are really not
> maintained, 7.1 profiles have been deprecated for a while too (2
> months). If anyone has objections, speak up now!
>
> For those of you who have not updated yet, it is probably simpler to
> start a fresh install from the 7.2 stages that I've pushed some months
> ago (see experimental/x86/freebsd/7.2/stages/ in the mirrors). I have
> not received rants against those stages so I'll assume they're fine :)
> About sparc-fbsd, I have (thanks to Monkeh) access to a sparc-fbsd box
> where I've put a 7.2 but the port is more surviving than anything else.
> The box doesn't have enough disk space to build stages for example,
> thus I am nowhere near to be able to push new stages.
>
> As for 8.0, I'll start playing with it now; if any of you have started
> to play with it and wanna share the experience, please poke me.
>
> Regards,
>

> Alexis.

I've got some stuff for 8.0 done, but it's getting quite hard to work
with as the stages progress.
For example, after freebsd-lib gets compiled, portage (actually python)
stops working (it keeps emerging things until it fails then resuming
doesn't work). The reason? The new tty code on fbsd, where portage
attempts to get a tty, it's there that it dies.
I've been patching portage (2 lines) for this, but it got very annoying
at some point, plus summer and no AC keeps me away from going back to
stage building unless it's cloudy outside.
Other than that, it seems it's going to be easier to build the stages
from 8.0 instead of uprading from 7.2, which doesn't sound too good :+(

I'll check if my access to our git repo still works and upload what I
have in ebuilds there (bunch of updated patches that could be useful).

Salu2,
Javier.