GRP SUN-JRE Package

Heiko Kopp
Hello,

im currently trying to build a GRP SUN-JRE Package (in detail by the use of
GNAT). The problem is, that catalyst seems to have problems with ebuilds
creating files during the src_unpack() phase as the package

/dev-java/sun-jre-bin/sun-jre-bin-1.5.0.05.ebuild

does. The problem herein is, that the catalyst process

Running command "/bin/bash /usr/lib/catalyst/targets/grp/grp.sh run pkgset
java '=dev-java/sun-jre-bin-1.5.0.05'"

fails with a missing file install.sfx. This file is created during the
src_unpack() phase from the original jre-1_5_0_05-linux-i586.bin by
stripping the leading bash script out of it. The file is simply written
somewhere in the work directory. However the start of the script using
./install.sfx does not work case it is not able to find the script.

Does anyone has a chance to help me out here? I would greatly appriciate any
tip. If not possible I will have to provide a different kind of ebuild
without the step of extracting the file.

I'm aware that building GRP Packages of binaries is not the best way, but
for my embedded system I need sun jre support (version 1.5) which is
currently not provided by a source-package.

Sincerly,

Heiko.

Re: GRP SUN-JRE Package

Chris Gianelloni
On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 13:04 +0100, Heiko Kopp wrote:
> Hello,
>
> im currently trying to build a GRP SUN-JRE Package (in detail by the use of
> GNAT). The problem is, that catalyst seems to have problems with ebuilds
> creating files during the src_unpack() phase as the package

Here is the problem.

src_* is *not* processed by portage during package installation.  This
is a portage feature, and will probably never be changed.

Only pkg_* is processed during a package merge, so if it isn't in pkg_*
then it won't be run.  If this is a problem with an actual ebuild, I
would recommend filing a bug on it.

Now, if this is the first run, as in, there is no package yet, then it
is a catalyst bug and should be filed as such.  However, judging from
your description, I think it is the former.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering - Strategic Lead

Re: GRP SUN-JRE Package

Heiko Kopp
Hello again,

Am 07.12.2005 13:49 Uhr schrieb "Chris Gianelloni" unter
<[hidden email]>:

> On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 13:04 +0100, Heiko Kopp wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> im currently trying to build a GRP SUN-JRE Package (in detail by the use of
>> GNAT). The problem is, that catalyst seems to have problems with ebuilds
>> creating files during the src_unpack() phase as the package
>
> Here is the problem.
>
> src_* is *not* processed by portage during package installation.  This
> is a portage feature, and will probably never be changed.

actually this confuses me a bit, cause how would the package installation
process know about a file install.sfx when it does not process this
function? When normally installing the sun-jre or the sun-jdk with a present
file in /usr/portage/distfiles everything works as expected.

Sorry for asking again, but Catalyst is way above my understanding currently
:-)

On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 15:40 +0100, Heiko Kopp wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> Am 07.12.2005 13:49 Uhr schrieb "Chris Gianelloni" unter
> <[hidden email]>:
>
> > On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 13:04 +0100, Heiko Kopp wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> im currently trying to build a GRP SUN-JRE Package (in detail by the use of
> >> GNAT). The problem is, that catalyst seems to have problems with ebuilds
> >> creating files during the src_unpack() phase as the package
> >
> > Here is the problem.
> >
> > src_* is *not* processed by portage during package installation.  This
> > is a portage feature, and will probably never be changed.
>
> actually this confuses me a bit, cause how would the package installation
> process know about a file install.sfx when it does not process this
> function? When normally installing the sun-jre or the sun-jdk with a present
> file in /usr/portage/distfiles everything works as expected.
This has nothing to do with catalyst.  This is how portage works.

Portage, when building a package, processes all functions.  When
installing a pre-built package, it only processes the pkg_* functions.
If you have a file that is not installed during the src_install
function, it will not be present in the binary package.  Only files that
are installed into ${D} during src_install will ever show up in a binary
package.  Without investigating this particular package itself, I can't
tell you exactly what is going on here, but it sounds to me like the
package is not binpkg-friendly.  There are actually lots of packages
where this is the case in the tree, since most people don't use binary
packages with Gentoo.

> Sorry for asking again, but Catalyst is way above my understanding currently
> :-)

No problem, but none of this has anything to do with catalyst, really.