Gentoo Council nominations are now closed

Gentoo Council nominations are now closed

Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto-2

Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council nominations are now closed

Mauricio Lima Pilla-2
What are the nominees intending to do if they are elected? I miss the manifests.

On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 12:18 AM, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto <[hidden email]> wrote:

--
Mauricio Lima Pilla -- UFPEL

[hidden email], [hidden email], [hidden email]
http://minerva.ufpel.edu.br/~pilla

"I'm just very selective about the reality I choose to accept."
                                                             -- Calvin

Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council nominations are now closed

Rich Freeman
Mauricio Lima Pilla wrote:
> What are the nominees intending to do if they are elected? I miss the
> manifests.

Agreed - I don't think that getting this done in one week should take
precedence over getting it done "right".  I don't intend to rank anybody
above _reopen_nominations unless they've posted one - I would recommend
that others do the same.  :)

Re: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council nominations are now closed

Tobias Scherbaum
Mauricio Lima Pilla wrote:
> What are the nominees intending to do if they are elected? I miss the
> manifests.

dev-zero and leio posted their manifests, they're available on the
elections webpage:
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/elections/council-200811-nominees.xml

  Tobias

Re: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council nominations are now closed

Samuli Suominen-4
On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 10:02:53 -0200
"Mauricio Lima Pilla" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What are the nominees intending to do if they are elected? I miss the
> manifests.

Qualify me based on my commits as drac and ssuominen. I don't plan to
write one. It's all about commits. All. About. Commits.

And did I mention common sense yet?

Thanks, Samuli Suominen, ssuominen at gentoo.org

Re: Gentoo Council nominations are now closed

Ulrich Mueller-2

> What are the nominees intending to do if they are elected? I miss
> the manifests.

I think that you will be able to judge for yourself, without an
election campaign from my side. Quality and quantity of my
contributions might be a criterion.

Ulrich

Re: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council nominations are now closed

Donnie Berkholz-2
On 10:02 Sat 29 Nov     , Mauricio Lima Pilla wrote:
> What are the nominees intending to do if they are elected? I miss the
> manifests.

To those of you telling us to look at what you do now, what you're
saying is that you're good in your current role. That doesn't support
why you would be good in a different role as a council member.

In other words, writing good code doesn't make you good at everything in
Gentoo. It doesn't mean you would make a good docs writer, a good devrel
member, a good trustee, or a good council member. They all involve
different activities or different levels of thought.

All I'd like to hear is the same thing I'd want from a job candidate --
what makes you uniquely qualified? We have plenty of technically good
developers running, so that doesn't exactly differentiate you.

What is your vision for what the council should do? How about what
Gentoo should do? How would you make it happen?

Donnie

Donnie Berkholz
Developer, Gentoo Linux
Blog: http://dberkholz.wordpress.com

Re: Re: Gentoo Council nominations are now closed

Tiziano Müller-3
Donnie Berkholz wrote:

> On 10:02 Sat 29 Nov     , Mauricio Lima Pilla wrote:
>> What are the nominees intending to do if they are elected? I miss the
>> manifests.
>
> To those of you telling us to look at what you do now, what you're
> saying is that you're good in your current role. That doesn't support
> why you would be good in a different role as a council member.
>
> In other words, writing good code doesn't make you good at everything in
> Gentoo. It doesn't mean you would make a good docs writer, a good devrel
> member, a good trustee, or a good council member. They all involve
> different activities or different levels of thought.
>
> All I'd like to hear is the same thing I'd want from a job candidate --
> what makes you uniquely qualified? We have plenty of technically good
> developers running, so that doesn't exactly differentiate you.
>
> What is your vision for what the council should do? How about what
> Gentoo should do? How would you make it happen?

My first priority within the first two months would be to overhaul the
documents describing Gentoo's structure (GLEP 39 for example) and
to clarify and write down important procedures (like voting, etc.).
Even if this is boring work I think it is important for the future
since it will help to avoid unnessecary discussions which cost a lot of
energy and time, which is better used to develop new things.

After that I'd like to do something about our communication problems
(yes, we have one): We definetely have to do something about our website
and we have to give users more information on what we're doing, why
we're doing it and where they can get involved. Donnie made a good
start once by posting more news to the front page but he can't be the
only one. (Convincing project leads to write a summary from time to
time for example.) Also, the gentoo-dev mailinglist did see more
activity in the past. Maybe all developers currently not reading the
list could rejoin so we can actually discuss new ideas again
with (almost) every developer involved.

From the technical side I'd like to change metadata.xml even further
(see my proposals), push projects trying to automate version bump
detection, bug-assigning, etc. (most of the boring tasks) and tree
signing to help developers focus on the interesting stuff.

That's it (more or less), you can also read my manifest
(http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/voting-logs/nominees/2008/dev-zero.txt) or my blog entry (currently only on planet.gentoo.org).
... and don't forget to vote for me if you like the mentioned ideas :-)

Cheers,
Tiziano