Gentoo/FBSD Install

Michael Orlitzky-2
I'd like to set up a Gentoo/FBSD install to test some packages, but the
docs are out of date and I can't figure it out myself. Has anyone set
one up recently? If so, can it be explained relatively painlessly?

Re: Gentoo/FBSD Install

Javier Villavicencio-2
On 11/04/2011 15:32, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
> I'd like to set up a Gentoo/FBSD install to test some packages, but the
> docs are out of date and I can't figure it out myself. Has anyone set
> one up recently? If so, can it be explained relatively painlessly?

First, familiarize yourself with installing vanilla FreeBSD.
Specifically the partitioning (bsd labels and such) and boot process.

Second, boot off any FreeBSD-8.x kernel bootable media, and get a shell
interface.

Third, unpack the stage3 and continue to install as if it was a Gentoo
install, bear in mind the obvious FreeBSD differences (kernel
compilation, modules loaded in the bootloader, etc).

Troubleshooting should be easy if you got the second step right.

As of now, a bunch of @system currently keyworded ~x86-fbsd doesn't
compile/work as it should. Help (as in: patches, bugs with proper
patches reported upstream) is always welcome.

unsubscribe

Guy Harrison-4