Gentoo Sunrise: Problems, Solutions and Questions

Gentoo Sunrise: Problems, Solutions and Questions

Stefan Schweizer-3
Hi,

Since we have improved the Sunrise plans and added "review" implementation
there have been no objections to it on the developer mailing lists. The
mail only got two official vs. unofficial answers.

We think we have even before that in the "Project Sunrise -- Proposal"
tackled all the open issues and got no more replies there.

The council did not touch the suspension that was in place because brix
argued that "Sunrise violates the idea of overlays.gentoo.org" - we do not
think brix judgement is true here, in fact user involvement is an elemental
idea of overlays.gentoo.org. We see commits from different projects to
Sunrise such as voip, net-im, pam or printing in order to get users
involved.

Because more devs are joining our ranks and the project gets more popular
all the time we are asking if there are any issues that we did not solve
yet? What else needs to be fulfilled to return to overlays.gentoo.org? What
are the "details" that need to hashed out[quote from the meeting]? We are
open for changes - we just need to know what to change.

If you want to know how everything is supposed to work and the current
policies have a look at the SunriseFAQ [1]. If you want to see our workflow
in action you can always join #gentoo-sunrise.

[1] http://gentoo-sunrise.org/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/wiki/SunriseFaq

Kind regards,
Stefan Schweizer

PS: gmane does not really work for me for this ML, it says it is unidirectional?

Re: Gentoo Sunrise: Problems, Solutions and Questions

Mike Frysinger
On Monday 19 June 2006 13:46, Stefan Schweizer wrote:
> Since we have improved the Sunrise plans and added "review" implementation
> there have been no objections to it on the developer mailing lists. The
> mail only got two official vs. unofficial answers.

the implementation has received no feedback is what you meant to say

> The council did not touch the suspension that was in place because brix
> argued that "Sunrise violates the idea of overlays.gentoo.org" - we do not
> think brix judgement is true here

brix would be correct ... the sunrise does not fall within the original
purpose of overlays.g.o

however, that doesnt mean the use of overlays.g.o cannot be expanded

> Because more devs are joining our ranks and the project gets more popular
> all the time we are asking if there are any issues that we did not solve
> yet? What else needs to be fulfilled to return to overlays.gentoo.org? What
> are the "details" that need to hashed out[quote from the meeting]? We are
> open for changes - we just need to know what to change.

wait for the current threads to play out ... things are looking good for the
project, but i really dont think any official change/decision will be made
before the council meets again (which will probably be the July meeting)
-mike