Gentoo Weekly Newsletter 18 September 2006

Gentoo Weekly Newsletter 18 September 2006

Chris Gianelloni
Gentoo Weekly Newsletter
http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/current.xml
This is the Gentoo Weekly Newsletter for the week of 18 September 2006.

==============
1. Gentoo news
==============

Problems with openssl
---------------------

There have been some recent problems with dev-libs/openssl version
0.9.8c-r2. Users on x86 may need to remerge openssh and all other
ssl-enabled applications after upgrading from previous 0.9.8 versions. If
you are having problems with ssh segfaults, you are affected and will need
to remerge the affected packages.

Portage 2.1.1 released
----------------------

While it normally is not necessary to mention patch-level revisions of
packages, this one deserves a bit of attention. Version 2.1.1 of portage
has been marked stable on most architectures. This version of portage as a
new --depclean implementation. The new depclean is more cautious about
removing packages. If it is unsure about a package, it leaves it alone. It
will also point our missing dependencies of packages in world. This should
reduce the number of pitfalls of using depclean on an updated system
significantly. This release also brings some new functionality to
--newuse, which is now sensitive to changes in IUSE. Immediately after
upgrade from 2.1, users may notice a significantly larger number of
packages being pulled in by --newuse, but that behavior is normal. For
additional information regarding this change, please see bugs #116995[1],
#144333[2], #144661[3], and #146060[4].

 1. http://bugs.gentoo.org/116955
 2. http://bugs.gentoo.org/144333
 3. http://bugs.gentoo.org/144661
 4. http://bugs.gentoo.org/146060

Cleanup of autotools wrappers
-----------------------------

Mike Frysinger[5] has modified the autotools wrappers ebuilds to no longer
include all versions of their respective autotool. Users should be on the
lookout with packages with possible broken dependencies due to this
change. Packages should be depending on the autotools versions they
require rather than the wrapper. If you run across any errors due to a
missing autotools version, please file a bug report[6].

 5. [hidden email]
 6. http://bugs.gentoo.org

=========================
2. Heard in the community
=========================

forums
------

Let's have a Larry bootup Logo!

Forums user Tom Lloyd (Napalm Llama) has written a kernel patch to change
the default Tux boot logo to Larry the Cow. Tom asks if the Gentoo patch
set should include his patch to give our gender-confused mascot a proper
place on people's boot screen and was met with an overall positive
response.

 * http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-493774.html

planet.gentoo.org
-----------------

Trying to ask before... new Amarok support

Diego Pettenò[7], maintainer of Amarok's ebuild, waiting for the upcoming
release that will add optional Rio Karma devices support, is looking for
users interested in having support for these players in Gentoo. If you own
a Rio Karma player and want it supported by Amarok, or you'd simply like
at least basic Rio Karma support in Gentoo, please read the blog post.

 7. [hidden email]

 *
http://farragut.flameeyes.is-a-geek.org/articles/2006/09/13/trying-to-ask-before-new-amarok-support

gentoo-user
-----------

Purging Gnome from the system

Etaoin Shrdlu asked for help removing Gnome from his system; Bo Ørsted
Andresen suggsted that he "just edit /var/lib/portage/world manually and
remove the gnome etc. apps that you are no longer interested in and let
emerge --depclean -va do it's [sic] job."

 * http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/170041

Flashing the BIOS

Grant asked for ideas in BIOS flashing. Users suggested everything from
the standard floppy solution to converting the swap partition to DOS and
flashing from there. Grant ended up using the Motherboard Flash Boot CD
from the Linux Mini HOWTO.

 * http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/170106
 * http://www.nenie.org/misc/flashbootcd.html

What is up with the new "domainname" situation?

Users continue to have trouble adapting their domainname configurations to
the new baselayout. A reminder: Set up your domainname in /etc/conf.d/net;
see /etc/conf.d/net.example for more information.

 * http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/170468

==================
3. Tips and Tricks
==================

Changing default portage colors
-------------------------------

When using a white background for a terminal emulator and portage displays
some text in yellow (e.g. new useflags with the "%") it can be very hard
to read. To change the yellow color of emerge output to something more
readable (consistently and system-wide) one can just create the file
/etc/portage/color.map with the following information:

| Code Listing 3.1: /etc/portage/color.map                                |
|                                                                         |
|yellow=0xAA00AA                                                          |
|WARN=0xAA00AA                                                            |
|MERGE_LIST_PROGRESS=0xAA00AA                                             |
|                                                                         |

Example of colours visible on both black and white backgrounds are:
purple: 0xAA00AA darkyellow: 0xAA5500 (looks brown/orange)

More information can be found on the following threads on the forums.

 * http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-427948.html
 * http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-3376132.html

=========================
4. Gentoo developer moves
=========================

Moves
-----

The following developers recently left the Gentoo project:

 * none this week

Adds
----

The following developers recently joined the Gentoo project:

 * none this week

Changes
-------

The following developers recently changed roles within the Gentoo project:

 * none this week

==================
5. Gentoo security
==================

AdPlug: Multiple vulnerabilities
--------------------------------

Multiple heap and buffer overflows exist in AdPlug.

For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[8]

 8. http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/glsa-200609-06.xml

LibXfont, monolithic X.org: Multiple integer overflows

Some buffer overflows were discovered in the CID font parser, potentially
resulting in the execution of arbitrary code with elevated privileges.

For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[9]

 9. http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/glsa-200609-07.xml

xine-lib: Buffer overflows
--------------------------

xine-lib is vulnerable to multiple buffer overflows that could be
exploited to execute arbitrary code.

For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[10]

 10. http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/glsa-200609-08.xml

FFmpeg: Buffer overflows
------------------------

FFmpeg is vulnerable to multiple buffer overflows that might be exploited
to execute arbitrary code.

For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[11]

 11. http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/glsa-200609-09.xml

DokuWiki: Arbitrary command execution
-------------------------------------

Vulnerabilities in some accessory scripts of DokuWiki allow remote code
execution.

For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[12]

 12. http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/glsa-200609-10.xml

BIND: Denial of Service
-----------------------

ISC BIND contains two vulnerabilities allowing a Denial of Service under
certain conditions.

For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[13]

 13. http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/glsa-200609-11.xml

===========
6. Bugzilla
===========

Summary
-------

 * Statistics
 * Closed bug ranking
 * New bug rankings

Statistics
----------

The Gentoo community uses Bugzilla (bugs.gentoo.org[14]) to record and
track bugs, notifications, suggestions and other interactions with the
development team. Between 10 September 2006 and 17 September 2006,
activity on the site has resulted in:

 14. http://bugs.gentoo.org

 * 861 new bugs during this period
 * 430 bugs closed or resolved during this period
 * 32 previously closed bugs were reopened this period
 * 166 closed as NEEDINFO/WONTFIX/CANTFIX/INVALID/UPSTREAM during this
period
 * 202 bugs marked as duplicates during this period

Of the 11130 currently open bugs: 37 are labeled 'blocker', 126 are
labeled 'critical', and 530 are labeled 'major'.

Closed bug rankings
-------------------

The developers and teams who have closed the most bugs during this period
are:

 * Java team[15], with 27 closed bugs[16]
 * Gentoo Linux Gnome Desktop Team[17], with 20 closed bugs[18]
 * Gentoo Games[19], with 16 closed bugs[20]
 * AMD64 Project[21], with 15 closed bugs[22]
 * Gentoo's Team for Core System packages[23], with 13 closed bugs[24]
 * SpanKY[25], with 12 closed bugs[26]
 * Gentoo Security[27], with 8 closed bugs[28]
 * Gentoo Genkernel Maintainers[29], with 8 closed bugs[30]
 15. [hidden email]
 16.
http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&chfield=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2006-09-10&chfieldto=2006-09-17&resolution=FIXED&assigned_to=java@...
 17. [hidden email]
 18.
http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&chfield=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2006-09-10&chfieldto=2006-09-17&resolution=FIXED&assigned_to=gnome@...
 19. [hidden email]
 20.
http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&chfield=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2006-09-10&chfieldto=2006-09-17&resolution=FIXED&assigned_to=games@...
 21. [hidden email]
 22.
http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&chfield=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2006-09-10&chfieldto=2006-09-17&resolution=FIXED&assigned_to=amd64@...
 23. [hidden email]
 24.
http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&chfield=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2006-09-10&chfieldto=2006-09-17&resolution=FIXED&assigned_to=base-system@...
 25. [hidden email]
 26.
http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&chfield=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2006-09-10&chfieldto=2006-09-17&resolution=FIXED&assigned_to=vapier@...
 27. [hidden email]
 28.
http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&chfield=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2006-09-10&chfieldto=2006-09-17&resolution=FIXED&assigned_to=security@...
 29. [hidden email]
 30.
http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&chfield=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2006-09-10&chfieldto=2006-09-17&resolution=FIXED&assigned_to=genkernel@...

New bug rankings
----------------

The developers and teams who have been assigned the most new bugs during
this period are:

 * Default Assignee for New Packages[31], with 55 new bugs[32]
 * Gentoo Developer Relations Team[33], with 13 new bugs[34]
 * AMD64 Project[35], with 13 new bugs[36]
 * Mozilla Gentoo Team[37], with 10 new bugs[38]
 * Hanno Boeck[39], with 10 new bugs[40]
 * Gentoo Sound Team[41], with 9 new bugs[42]
 * Gentoo Games[43], with 8 new bugs[44]
 * Gentoo Linux Gnome Desktop Team[45], with 7 new bugs[46]
 31. [hidden email]
 32.
http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&chfield=assigned_to&chfieldfrom=2006-09-10&chfieldto=2006-09-17&assigned_to=maintainer-wanted@...
 33. [hidden email]
 34.
http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&chfield=assigned_to&chfieldfrom=2006-09-10&chfieldto=2006-09-17&assigned_to=devrel@...
 35. [hidden email]
 36.
http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&chfield=assigned_to&chfieldfrom=2006-09-10&chfieldto=2006-09-17&assigned_to=amd64@...
 37. [hidden email]
 38.
http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&chfield=assigned_to&chfieldfrom=2006-09-10&chfieldto=2006-09-17&assigned_to=mozilla@...
 39. [hidden email]
 40.
http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&chfield=assigned_to&chfieldfrom=2006-09-10&chfieldto=2006-09-17&assigned_to=hanno@...
 41. [hidden email]
 42.
http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&chfield=assigned_to&chfieldfrom=2006-09-10&chfieldto=2006-09-17&assigned_to=sound@...
 43. [hidden email]
 44.
http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&chfield=assigned_to&chfieldfrom=2006-09-10&chfieldto=2006-09-17&assigned_to=games@...
 45. [hidden email]
 46.
http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&chfield=assigned_to&chfieldfrom=2006-09-10&chfieldto=2006-09-17&assigned_to=gnome@...

[hidden email] from the e-mail address you are
subscribed under.

==================
8. Other languages
==================

The Gentoo Weekly Newsletter is also available in the following languages:

 * Chinese (Simplified)[47]
 * Danish[48]
 * Dutch[49]
 * English[50]
 * German[51]
 * Greek[52]
 * French[53]
 * Korean[54]
 * Japanese[55]
 * Italian[56]
 * Polish[57]
 * Portuguese (Brazil)[58]
 * Portuguese (Portugal)[59]
 * Russian[60]
 * Spanish[61]
 47. http://www.gentoo.org/news/zh_cn/gwn/gwn.xml
 48. http://www.gentoo.org/news/da/gwn/gwn.xml
 49. http://www.gentoo.org/news/nl/gwn/gwn.xml
 50. http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/gwn.xml
 51. http://www.gentoo.org/news/de/gwn/gwn.xml
 52. http://www.gentoo.org/news/el/gwn/gwn.xml
 53. http://www.gentoo.org/news/fr/gwn/gwn.xml
 54. http://www.gentoo.org/news/ko/gwn/gwn.xml
 55. http://www.gentoo.org/news/ja/gwn/gwn.xml
 56. http://www.gentoo.org/news/it/gwn/gwn.xml
 57. http://www.gentoo.org/news/pl/gwn/gwn.xml
 58. http://www.gentoo.org/news/pt_br/gwn/gwn.xml
 59. http://www.gentoo.org/news/pt/gwn/gwn.xml
 60. http://www.gentoo.org/news/ru/gwn/gwn.xml
 61. http://www.gentoo.org/news/es/gwn/gwn.xml

Ulrich Plate <[hidden email]> - Editor
Diego Pettenò <[hidden email]> - Author
Alfred Carlsson <[hidden email]> - Author
Ellotheth Rimmwen <[hidden email]> - Author
Chris Gianelloni <[hidden email]> - Author