Gentoo as Firewall on HP ProLiant DL360 G5

Gentoo as Firewall on HP ProLiant DL360 G5

Pandu Poluan

Hello list!

I want to install Gentoo as headless firewalls on a pair of HP ProLiant DL360 G5 servers we happen to have lying around.

Are there special issues I need to be aware of before embarking on this endeavor?

Specifically, are there special steps to take w.r.t.:
* The RAID controller (AFAIK will result in 'strange' device names such as /dev/cciss/c0d0, or somesuch)
* NIC controller chips
* SNMP stuff, e.g., Insight Management Agent
* Other stuff

Pointers are very welcome!

Rgds,

Re: Gentoo as Firewall on HP ProLiant DL360 G5

Michael Orlitzky
On 03/12/2014 04:26 PM, Pandu Poluan wrote:
> Hello list!
>
> I want to install Gentoo as headless firewalls on a pair of HP ProLiant
> DL360 G5 servers we happen to have lying around.
>
> Are there special issues I need to be aware of before embarking on this
> endeavor?

Nothing special, you already know about the raid controller. We don't
use any of the HP management stuff but sys-apps/cciss_vol_status will
alert you if any of your drives fail.

On Mar 14, 2014 12:35 AM, "Michael Orlitzky" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 03/12/2014 04:26 PM, Pandu Poluan wrote:
> > Hello list!
> >
> > I want to install Gentoo as headless firewalls on a pair of HP ProLiant
> > DL360 G5 servers we happen to have lying around.
> >
> > Are there special issues I need to be aware of before embarking on this
> > endeavor?
> >

> Nothing special, you already know about the raid controller. We don't
> use any of the HP management stuff but sys-apps/cciss_vol_status will
> alert you if any of your drives fail.

Thanks!

I just found out about app-admin/hp-health [1] from barzog-overlay [2]. Do you think I should emerge that?

(Note: I am aware that the package's ebuild refers to an HP repo that's no longer updated; I'll just adapt the ebuild to refer to another HP repo)

[1] http://gpo.zugaina.org/app-admin/hp-health
[2] https://code.google.com/p/barzog-gentoo-overlay/

On 03/13/2014 11:15 PM, Pandu Poluan wrote:

> Thanks!
>
> I just found out about app-admin/hp-health [1] from barzog-overlay [2].
> Do you think I should emerge that?
>
> (Note: I am aware that the package's ebuild refers to an HP repo that's
> no longer updated; I'll just adapt the ebuild to refer to another HP repo)

I can't say; if you can get the ebuild working though you might as well
give it a shot. I've never used them on Linux -- on Windows we need them
to monitor the RAID array but cciss_vol_status does that on Gentoo so I
never even thought about it.