Gentoo on System76 laptop, and Netflix

felix-5
I have an old (6-7 years?) Mac laptop which I mostly use for watching streaming Netflix movies, and ssh into work computers of one sort or another.  It has one dead key (up arrow), another which is flaky, the screen brightness sometimes flickers, but it generally still works, mostly.

My home computer is gentoo but a big server.

At work I have a System76 laptop, Gazelle Pro I think, which has one of the best keyboards I have ever used of any type, so I have been thinking of getting one for myself.  But it runs Ubuntu, and while that is ok for work, I'd get pretty tired of it on a personal computer.

So, two questions:

  1.  Anyone have any experience installing gentoo on a System76 laptop?

  2.  If I use kvm/virsh, is it possible to install a Mac image to watch Netflix streaming movies?  Or, yecch, Windows, but I'd really rather not try that, as I haven't touched Windows for 15-20 years and see no reason to enrich Boll Gates' pension.

     Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / [hidden email]
  GPG = E987 4493 C860 246C 3B1E  6477 7838 76E9 182E 8151 ITAR license #4933

Re: Gentoo on System76 laptop, and Netflix

Guillaume Poulin
2013/9/11  <[hidden email]>:
>   1.  Anyone have any experience installing gentoo on a System76 laptop?

If it works fine on Ubuntu I don't any reason why you would have
difficulty with Gentoo.

>   2.  If I use kvm/virsh, is it possible to install a Mac image to watch Netflix streaming movies?  Or, yecch, Windows, but I'd really rather not try that, as I haven't touched Windows for 15-20 years and see no reason to enrich Boll Gates' pension.

If it's just to watch Netflix, the windows native client work greatly
on wine. I'm not a big fan of wine but it's what I did for my sister
on her Ubuntu laptop and she seems happy

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 10:02:20PM +0800, Guillaume Poulin wrote:
> 2013/9/11  <[hidden email]>:
> >   1.  Anyone have any experience installing gentoo on a System76 laptop?
>
> If it works fine on Ubuntu I don't any reason why you would have
> difficulty with Gentoo.

Right, in theory.  Software is software,Ubuntu is free source software, the code should be avalable.  But Ubuntu does a lot of things differently and I have reached a stage in life where using my computer is more important than spending inordinate amounts of time piecing together the parts that make it wrk.

What I was hoping for was someone who had done this and could report what specific steps were needed, what modules, custom config, etc.  (Hopeing, not expecting :-)

> >   2.  If I use kvm/virsh, is it possible to install a Mac image to watch Netflix streaming movies?  Or, yecch, Windows, but I'd really rather not try that, as I haven't touched Windows for 15-20 years and see no reason to enrich Boll Gates' pension.
>
> If it's just to watch Netflix, the windows native client work greatly
> on wine. I'm not a big fan of wine but it's what I did for my sister
> on her Ubuntu laptop and she seems happy

That's good to know.  Where is this native client -- is it a download from Netflix?

Last time I played arund with wine was back in the days when experimentation in oddball corners was fun.  Now there are so many such corners, and so much that each can do, that my interests have moved up a step.

     Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / [hidden email]
  GPG = E987 4493 C860 246C 3B1E  6477 7838 76E9 182E 8151 ITAR license #4933

Re: Gentoo on System76 laptop, and Netflix

Paul Hartman-3
On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 3:04 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

>   2.  If I use kvm/virsh, is it possible to install a Mac image to watch Netflix streaming movies?  Or, yecch, Windows, but I'd really rather not try that, as I haven't touched Windows for 15-20 years and see no reason to enrich Boll Gates' pension.

Check out the Gentoo Wiki for a couple alternative ways to possibly
watch Netflix in Linux without needing a virtual machine at all:
http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Netflix
http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Netflix/Pipelight

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 11:31:26AM -0500, Paul Hartman wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 3:04 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >   2.  If I use kvm/virsh, is it possible to install a Mac image to watch Netflix streaming movies?  Or, yecch, Windows, but I'd really rather not try that, as I haven't touched Windows for 15-20 years and see no reason to enrich Boll Gates' pension.
>
> Check out the Gentoo Wiki for a couple alternative ways to possibly
> watch Netflix in Linux without needing a virtual machine at all:
> http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Netflix
> http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Netflix/Pipelight

Pipelight looks interesting; saved the bookmark.  Thanks.