Gentoo on a cell?

james-3
So,

After contacting several US carriers, the cover story is you can get a
cell phone, root it with linux, and it 'should work'. Supposedly, you
are encourage, but they
will not offer any help. So rather than spending months,
I'd like to 'cheat' and find a gentoo hack(er) that has
rooted and put some form of gentoo, or embedded_gentoo
on a cell phone.

Please respond to the list, but, for whatever reason, private responses
are OK too.

I'm just tire of my Android cell phone downloading update *every night*.
I want/need control of the stacks
running on the phone. I have heard this is quite popular in Europe and
the Rf circuits have their own firmware, so it's really next to
impossible to hack the Rf side
of communications.....?

Any and all responses, public or private, are most welcome. Links only
are fine too!

James

Re: Gentoo on a cell?

William Kenworthy

On 19/2/20 4:16 am, james wrote:

> So,
>
> After contacting several US carriers, the cover story is you can get a
> cell phone, root it with linux, and it 'should work'. Supposedly, you
> are encourage, but they
> will not offer any help. So rather than spending months,
> I'd like to 'cheat' and find a gentoo hack(er) that has
> rooted and put some form of gentoo, or embedded_gentoo
> on a cell phone.
>
> Please respond to the list, but, for whatever reason, private
>

> I'm just tire of my Android cell phone downloading update *every
> night*. I want/need control of the stacks
> running on the phone. I have heard this is quite popular in Europe and
> the Rf circuits have their own firmware, so it's really next to
> impossible to hack the Rf side
> of communications.....?
>

> Any and all responses, public or private, are most welcome. Links only
> are fine too!
>

> James

For gentoo, I would say "not easy at all" - the problem is custom
hardware, propriety drivers and lack of information, even in well
supported models.

There was an app where you could install gentoo into something like a
container - worked well but the android kernel I was using at the time
didn't have some functioned enabled that fed into limiting some
operations in the container.

Easier and more practical would be to install LibreOS. You can build ii
yourself and build/include your own software as needed - I did it many
times with its Cyanogenmod predecessor (I presume you still can).  There
are some other stacks suitable for phones such as sailfish and even
android can be built yourself (and you can defang/customise it while
doing it - google not needed and if you dont install GAPPS it still
works fine)

To be honest, if what you mentioned is your main gripe, build android
and use a third party app store like F-Droid to control that side of the
equation.

Make sure you look into rooting, flashing a new OS and the implications
of doing so - that can be another whole level of pain depending on the
brand of your hardware, and how recent it is (less chance with new stuff
as the really smart people have not had time to trailblaze :)

BillK

Re: Gentoo on a cell?

james-3
On 2/18/20 9:29 PM, William Kenworthy wrote:

> On 19/2/20 4:16 am, james wrote:
>> So,
>>
>> After contacting several US carriers, the cover story is you can get a
>> cell phone, root it with linux, and it 'should work'. Supposedly, you
>> are encourage, but they
>> will not offer any help. So rather than spending months,
>> I'd like to 'cheat' and find a gentoo hack(er) that has
>> rooted and put some form of gentoo, or embedded_gentoo
>> on a cell phone.
>>
>> Please respond to the list, but, for whatever reason, private
>>

>> I'm just tire of my Android cell phone downloading update *every
>> night*. I want/need control of the stacks
>> running on the phone. I have heard this is quite popular in Europe and
>> the Rf circuits have their own firmware, so it's really next to
>> impossible to hack the Rf side
>> of communications.....?
>>

>> Any and all responses, public or private, are most welcome. Links only
>> are fine too!
>>

>> James
>

> For gentoo, I would say "not easy at all" - the problem is custom
> hardware, propriety drivers and lack of information, even in well
> supported models.
>
> There was an app where you could install gentoo into something like a
> container - worked well but the android kernel I was using at the time
> didn't have some functioned enabled that fed into limiting some
> operations in the container.
>
> Easier and more practical would be to install LibreOS. You can build ii
> yourself and build/include your own software as needed - I did it many
> times with its Cyanogenmod predecessor (I presume you still can).� There
> are some other stacks suitable for phones such as sailfish and even
> android can be built yourself (and you can defang/customise it while
> doing it - google not needed and if you dont install GAPPS it still
> works fine)
>
> To be honest, if what you mentioned is your main gripe, build android
> and use a third party app store like F-Droid to control that side of the
> equation.
>
> Make sure you look into rooting, flashing a new OS and the implications
> of doing so - that can be another whole level of pain depending on the
> brand of your hardware, and how recent it is (less chance with new stuff
> as the really smart people have not had time to trailblaze :)
>
> BillK

Good info (thanks!)
Here's what I've found so far. The purpose of this posting is to share
info, so we have a gentoo on a cell phone. I am currently researching
'unlocked' samsung phones that support 5G and CDMA, so most sim cards
should work. If others are interested, or know of viable github (etc)
places to upload codes to, gentoo centric, I'd be all for that. I just
done with carriers running my cell phones. Sure they can control the RF
(hardware), but not the software running on the phone. here are a few
links::

https://fossbytes.com/how-to-install-a-linux-on-android-phone-without-rooting/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_mobile_virtual_network_operators

Here is an unlocked 5G and CDMA? I'm looking at to root with gentoo::

Galaxy S20 5G 128GB (Unlocked)
https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/phones/galaxy-s/galaxy-s20-5g-128gb-unlocked-sm-g981uzaaxaa/

Chating with samsung right now. Explaining *why* there needs to be a
samsung dev phone, supporting and working with Gentoo....   we'll see
how this goes...

More comments? encouragement, folks interested?

James

Re: Gentoo on a cell?

rudi

On Feb 18, 2020 22:33, james <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

places to upload codes to, gentoo centric, I'd be all for that. I just
done with carriers running my cell phones. Sure they can control the RF
(hardware), but not the software running on the phone. here are a few
links::

https://fossbytes.com/how-to-install-a-linux-on-android-phone-without-rooting/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_mobile_virtual_network_operators

Here is an unlocked 5G and CDMA? I'm looking at to root with gentoo::

Galaxy S20 5G 128GB (Unlocked)
https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/phones/galaxy-s/galaxy-s20-5g-128gb-unlocked-sm-g981uzaaxaa/

Chating with samsung right now. Explaining *why* there needs to be a
samsung dev phone, supporting and working with Gentoo....   we'll see
how this goes...

More comments? encouragement, folks interested?

I am very interested, although my testing capabilities would be restricted to a non-samsung Pixel 3. My understanding is also that the Pixel and Nexus devices publish their "vendor blobs" or hardware binaries online which may help? I've experimented with Ubuntu Touch a bit on the Nexus 5, however the device is quite slow at this point. My use case wouldn't be so much for control over updates, but more for things like Convergence (Ubuntu), Dex (Samsung) or Android Desktop. Where you dock your phone and have a linux/Android desktop with floating windows etc.

 I'd like to be kept in the loop on this, and if possible I would also like to help contribute software however I'm not really skilled with hardware. I configure my kernel and that's about it.

Re: Gentoo on a cell?

Andrew Lowe-2
On 19/2/20 10:29 am, William Kenworthy wrote:

> On 19/2/20 4:16 am, james wrote:
>> So,
[snip]

>> James

[snip]

> Easier and more practical would be to install LibreOS. You can build ii
> yourself and build/include your own software as needed - I did it many
> times with its Cyanogenmod predecessor (I presume you still can).  There
> are some other stacks suitable for phones such as sailfish and even
> android can be built yourself (and you can defang/customise it while
> doing it - google not needed and if you dont install GAPPS it still
> works fine)

[snip]

This is the most painless way of doing this. I have been using Gentoo
since the early naughties and love the customisation etc but on a phone,
not worth the pain. Ride off someone else's coat tails and the one I use
is LineageOS [1]. Except for the occasional blob for the wireless bits
and pieces which need a bit of ferretting around for, it just runs.

        Andrew

[1] https://lineageos.org/

Re: Gentoo on a cell?

james-3
On 2/19/20 7:57 AM, Andrew Lowe wrote:

> On 19/2/20 10:29 am, William Kenworthy wrote:
>>
>> On 19/2/20 4:16 am, james wrote:
>>> So,
> [snip]
>>>

>>> James
>>

> [snip]
>>
>> Easier and more practical would be to install LibreOS. You can build ii
>> yourself and build/include your own software as needed - I did it many
>> times with its Cyanogenmod predecessor (I presume you still can).� There
>> are some other stacks suitable for phones such as sailfish and even
>> android can be built yourself (and you can defang/customise it while
>> doing it - google not needed and if you dont install GAPPS it still
>> works fine)
>>
> [snip]
>
> This is the most painless way of doing this. I have been using Gentoo
> since the early naughties and love the customisation etc but on a phone,
> not worth the pain. Ride off someone else's coat tails and the one I use
> is LineageOS [1]. Except for the occasional blob for the wireless bits
> and pieces which need a bit of ferretting around for, it just runs.
>
>  ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½Andrew
> [1] https://lineageos.org/

Andrew; I'll have to look into LineageOS.   Still, a gentoo based,
portable stack for Arm and Snapdragon and other processors, are
straightforward with gentoo sources.  Having multiple stack (cell-OS
buildouts) to run from via controlled semantics, is a good idea, imho.

Switching between several different embedded OSes on a cell phone, is an
intriguing idea. THANKS for that IDEA. Multiboot cell phones; totally
awesome ?

5G is paramount for me. Most are not aware, but 5G basically allows for
any person in good standing legally, to act as a pseudo-carrier, retail
or wholesale or free or (?). The most awesome features of 5G are not
being discuss publically, because there are many  entrepreneurial
actions centric to 5G. 5G will be bigger than the current carrier/gov
based internet, more secure, and controlled by the equipment (that means
you and me) owner/operators. 5G is very security oriented, both in the
communications domain and the RF domain.

One new method of security is to use 'multi-path' over Rf links, that
are not regular (non-recurrent). The communications algorithms,
mathematically, are known as "walk-once" basically no repeated patterns.

That alone is but one "game_changer" baked into 5G. I just think Gentoo
needs to be on the 'forefront' of this communications revolution; hth.

thanks,
James

Re: Gentoo on a cell?

james-3
On 2/18/20 11:00 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> [...]
>
>     More comments? encouragement, folks interested?
>
>     James
>
> I am very interested, although my testing capabilities would be
> restricted to a non-samsung Pixel 3. My�understanding is also that the
> Pixel and Nexus devices publish their "vendor blobs" or hardware
> binaries online which may help?�I've experimented with Ubuntu Touch a
> bit on the Nexus 5, however the device is quite slow at this point. My
> use case wouldn't be so much for control over updates, but more for
> things like Convergence (Ubuntu), Dex (Samsung) or Android Desktop.
> Where you dock your phone and have a linux/Android desktop with floating
> windows etc.
>
>  ï¿½I'd like to be kept in the loop on this, and if possible I would also
> like to help contribute software however I'm not really skilled with
> hardware. I configure my kernel and that's about it.

Sorry, I missed this. Super busy, trying to get Samsung to 'throw this
effort a bone', in the form of deeply one-time discounted Samsung
note:11 phone, that are unlocked and support booting multiple embedded
(phone) OSes. Think about it (3) or more different stacks to test out
one against another, security issues and many other things. Samsung is
very very cool, but this has to be done in a way to avoid issues with
large carriers and governments and their clandestine activities.

Still Samsung understand the linux-source-centric developer and appears
to negotiating with best intentions. It'd be great to get some of the
gentoo embedded devs in on this, so it can move rapidly to everyone's
advantage.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20171204006182/en/Samsung-Starts-Producing-512-Gigabyte-Universal-Flash-Storage

I'm pushing Samsung for a dev phone with usb-4, a direct fiber port (SC)
and a multi-boot capability, so we could have (3) or more different
Operating Systems on a dev-phone. Totally open and supporting 5G
development and testing for large, private networks.

You could have a '%G campus' and then tunnel, via the internet, to other
5G campuses.

Last, which is what Samsung really likes, is the myriad of cluster codes
that could allow multiple Gentoo-Samsung-Note:11 phones to locally
collect as a CLUSTER.

Shoot for the moon and let's get what I get, for the (gentoo)
brotherhood. Samsung seems to be very receptive
to a large collective of gentoo-centric hacks to push the envelop with
their latest hardware. Word I got was Late February.

We'll see; I have been jilted before by majors. I also have a deal
cooking for one of the largest manufacturers of 5G chipset. The enormous
capabilities of 5G, needs hackers like us to dream, explore, ask for
help and publish in the public domain, what we try, where we are stuck
and when/who is willing to help. US feds actually cannot find people
like us, so that are stuck FOLLOWING what we dream up and try to build.

Just think, 3 of us, could rid on the back of one of DALEs tractors,
running a gentoo cell phone cluster, so
DALE, whilst driving, can have several screens and linux gentoo linux
cluster collecting data, providing (AI) advice to DALE in real time
about how to farm and correct drive. All very fuel efficient. Eventually
an Electric tractor make by a modifies TESLA cybertruck hack.

SOON, my brothers, SOON!

be blessed,
James

Re: Gentoo on a cell?

Dale-46
james wrote:

> [...]
>
> We'll see; I have been jilted before by majors. I also have a deal
> cooking for one of the largest manufacturers of 5G chipset. The
> enormous capabilities of 5G, needs hackers like us to dream, explore,
> ask for help and publish in the public domain, what we try, where we
> are stuck and when/who is willing to help. US feds actually cannot
> find people like us, so that are stuck FOLLOWING what we dream up and
> try to build.
>
> Just think, 3 of us, could rid on the back of one of DALEs tractors,
> running a gentoo cell phone cluster, so
> DALE, whilst driving, can have several screens and linux gentoo linux
> cluster collecting data, providing (AI) advice to DALE in real time
> about how to farm and correct drive. All very fuel efficient.
> Eventually an Electric tractor make by a modifies TESLA cybertruck hack.

Reading that Samsung is interested in this makes me glad I bought a
Samsung cell phone.  :-D  While nervous about this sort of thing, scared
I might brick the thing, it is interesting and something I would
consider when the time is right.

Who is this DALE you mention?  Just curious since that's my name and I'm
on a tractor, when arthritis allows it.

Dale

:-)  :-)

Re: Gentoo on a cell?

james-3
On 2/20/20 5:23 PM, Dale wrote:

> [...]
>>> also like to help contribute software however I'm not really skilled
>>> with hardware. I configure my kernel and that's about it.
>>

>> Sorry, I missed this. Super busy, trying to get Samsung to 'throw this
>> effort a bone', in the form of deeply one-time discounted Samsung
>> note:11 phone, that are unlocked and support booting multiple embedded
>> (phone) OSes. Think about it (3) or more different stacks to test out
>> one against another, security issues and many other things. Samsung is
>> very very cool, but this has to be done in a way to avoid issues with
>> large carriers and governments and their clandestine activities.
>>
>> Still Samsung understand the linux-source-centric developer and
>> appears to negotiating with best intentions. It'd be great to get some
>> of the gentoo embedded devs in on this, so it can move rapidly to
>> everyone's advantage.
>>

>> https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20171204006182/en/Samsung-Starts-Producing-512-Gigabyte-Universal-Flash-Storage
>>

>> I'm pushing Samsung for a dev phone with usb-4, a direct fiber port
>> (SC) and a multi-boot capability, so we could have (3) or more
>> different Operating Systems on a dev-phone. Totally open and
>> supporting 5G development and testing for large, private networks.
>>
>> You could have a '%G campus' and then tunnel, via the internet, to
>> other 5G campuses.
>>
>> Last, which is what Samsung really likes, is the myriad of cluster
>> codes that could allow multiple Gentoo-Samsung-Note:11 phones to
>> locally collect as a CLUSTER.
>>
>> Shoot for the moon and let's get what I get, for the (gentoo)
>> brotherhood. Samsung seems to be very receptive
>> to a large collective of gentoo-centric hacks to push the envelop with
>> their latest hardware. Word I got was Late February.
>>
>> We'll see; I have been jilted before by majors. I also have a deal
>> cooking for one of the largest manufacturers of 5G chipset. The
>> enormous capabilities of 5G, needs hackers like us to dream, explore,
>> ask for help and publish in the public domain, what we try, where we
>> are stuck and when/who is willing to help. US feds actually cannot
>> find people like us, so that are stuck FOLLOWING what we dream up and
>> try to build.
>>
>> Just think, 3 of us, could rid on the back of one of DALEs tractors,
>> running a gentoo cell phone cluster, so
>> DALE, whilst driving, can have several screens and linux gentoo linux
>> cluster collecting data, providing (AI) advice to DALE in real time
>> about how to farm and correct drive. All very fuel efficient.
>> Eventually an Electric tractor make by a modifies TESLA cybertruck hack.
>>

>> SOON, my brothers, SOON!
>>
>> be blessed,
>> James
>>

> Reading that Samsung is interested in this makes me glad I bought a
> Samsung cell phone.� :-D� While nervous about this sort of thing, scared
> I might brick the thing, it is interesting and something I would

Agreed; totally. That's the hint, new releases of the latest cell
phones, that are flexible, particularly with groups. Developing a gentoo
base, with their help, is a win-win. Just look at where CoreOS (a gentoo
derivative) ended up. Big business, and now trying to save IBM from
themselves. Of coarse Redhat is dropping very fast in popularity as a
linux distro, cause they now see the power of gentoo. But they did
continue with systemd,
which is another 'can of worms'.

There is a recent 'spat' between Samsung and Google on kernel sources...
that is an interesting read; ymmv. What the result is; is that Samsung
is reaching out directly to the hard core linux community (that's gentoo
folks), although not directly credited (as usual). It's a short read.

https://www.gsmgotech.com/2020/02/google-criticizes-samsung-for-making.html

I got backed into this because of my history (I actually put GTE on the
commercial internet back in 1990, as  Florida's fist ISP CFTnet.com.....
Lots of dead bodies...

Now, I'm a 5G activist, so that telcos become merely non-exclusive
bandwidth providers and only the less informed use them for mobile
software stacks.....  We'll see, I may get shot, but I'm old and just
tired of the bullshit of the carriers, the F_fed idiots and all of those
punks with nefarious intentions. Time to stand up, ymmv.

I think 'doctor trump' is ready to return the freedom and control of the
airwaves, back to the citizens. The swamp really, really smells bad and
is rotten to the core.

> Who is this DALE you mention?� Just curious since that's my name and I'm
> on a tractor, when arthritis allows it.

Yep, that was (you) I referenced, with just one pseudo use case of
multiple gentoo cell phones acting in a mobile cluster. I hope I did not
insult your countenance.....?

Like it or not, you seem to find bugs and flaws that most of us miss.
Besides with 4 cell phones, you could have an audio reproduction system
that is 3 dimensional, and custom graphical tools, not purchased from a
farm equipment dealer but hacked together many internet folks.

Folks like you, are the poster child for what 5G is all about. The
carriers think it's an opportunity to extort more money from the US
citizens.  Let's build our own secure networks, cheaply, and use the
carriers as but one option to move bits. Carriers should not have ever
been allowed to dictate and control communications. Dig ditches, lay
fiber and connect to a myriad of equipment, controlled by others, is
what carriers *should* be focused on.

5G is an opportunity for a real communications revolution and GENTOO
needs to be right in the middle of the birthing of real communications
freedom.  Multi-path links and 5G hardware, will allow the citizens to
control their secure communications. Very likely to be the biggest
issue, in the 2024 election, republican or democrat, as we all have the
right to completely secure communications, as much as we have the right
to consume oxygen from the atmosphere!

> Dale
>
> :-)� :-)

WE rig you up, you just might have to ride that tractor to DC, so folks
see that this pending communications revolution is about empowerment of
the masses. Lots of street parties along the way; that's my hope (and
prayer). an old fashion 'hippi music festival in each town.

99.9  percent of classified material is bullshit. It's  a ruse; just a
tool of economic competition and exclusion, for the LARGE  vendors to
have exclusive, non competitive access to do work for the government,
without small vendors having a shot.

5G CAN change everything! Gentoo should blaze the open source pathway of
contributions and WE all should dream, build and get control of our
country back!

5G may be our last chance before Satan rules via consolidating all the
large governments! 5G is our last chance, imho, for citizens to get
control of their respective countries back. Stand or die, as the plagues
of the last days, are just around the corner. Gentoo saves the world?
Sound like a good movie for someone to make.....

Be blessed,
James

Re: Gentoo on a cell?

Dale-46
james wrote:

> [...]
> that's my hope (and prayer). an old fashion 'hippi music festival in
> each town.
>

> 99.9  percent of classified material is bullshit. It's  a ruse; just a
> tool of economic competition and exclusion, for the LARGE  vendors to
> have exclusive, non competitive access to do work for the government,
> without small vendors having a shot.
>

> 5G CAN change everything! Gentoo should blaze the open source pathway
> of contributions and WE all should dream, build and get control of our
> country back!
>

> 5G may be our last chance before Satan rules via consolidating all the
> large governments! 5G is our last chance, imho, for citizens to get
> control of their respective countries back. Stand or die, as the
> plagues of the last days, are just around the corner. Gentoo saves the
> world? Sound like a good movie for someone to make.....

Yea, I'm good at finding a bug.  My recent experience with a stage3
tarball shows that.  After several tries, I came to the conclusion that
the stage3 tarball is basically worthless.  I unpacked it, copied over
the new tree, no need downloading a new one when I have one, then tried
to update it with the default USE flags the stage3 provides.  Right at
the start, I ran into a circular dependency and some blocked packages.
No matter what I tried, including posts on how to get around it, it
never would upgrade.  I just wonder if anyone else is running into the
same issue.  I ended up copying my OS over to the new build location and
using it.  It works.

I like open source stuff.  I've never "bought" a OS for any computer
I've ever had.  One reason I bought my  Samsung cell phone, Linux.
Before that, I had a Motorola Razr.  I'd still have it if not for the
charge port getting worn out.  I could no longer charge the phone
reliably.  I have a Samsung monitor, Linux; LG TVs, Linux again.  If I
can find something that runs Linux that I need, it's my first choice.
Look in the owners manual in the last few pages.  It usually mentions
the Linux kernel if its running Linux.

Yep, I'd love to Gentoo head down this path.  Someone posted a link to a
image that shows all the offshoots of Gentoo.  It's quite a lot.  That
was years ago.  I'm not sure if more have been added or not.  If Gentoo
shut down and deleted the tree, a lot of people would be lost. It would
also take a lot of people to pick it up and get it going again, if it
can be done.

I'm not offended at all by the mention of my name.  I just thought maybe
someone named a tractor brand after me.  ROFL

Oh, having my own OS on my phone would also mean I could uninstall those
apps I don't want or need.  Some can't be uninstalled since they are
"required" even tho they show never being used, ever.

Dale

:-)  :-)

Re: Gentoo on a cell?

james-3
On 2/20/20 7:28 PM, Dale wrote:

> [...]
> Look in the owners manual in the last few pages.� It usually mentions
> the Linux kernel if its running Linux.
>
> Yep, I'd love to Gentoo head down this path.� Someone posted a link to a
> image that shows all the offshoots of Gentoo.� It's quite a lot.� That
> was years ago.� I'm not sure if more have been added or not.� If Gentoo
> shut down and deleted the tree, a lot of people would be lost. It would
> also take a lot of people to pick it up and get it going again, if it
> can be done.
>
> I'm not offended at all by the mention of my name.� I just thought maybe
> someone named a tractor brand after me.� ROFL
>
> Oh, having my own OS on my phone would also mean I could uninstall those
> apps I don't want or need.� Some can't be uninstalled since they are
> "required" even tho they show never being used, ever.

Well, I finally found a comprehensive lists of linux oriented cell phone
work, in open source

https://www.pine64.org/

https://www.pine64.org/pinephone/

under the 'partner projects' is a listing  by distro. Most of the major
linux distros are not listed. Since Gentoo Embedded has such a rich
history of one-off devices and partial gentoo stacks, I'm just shocked
WE are not listed there.

I'll see what I can do about that, cause::

" Powered by the same Quad-Core ARM Cortex A53 64-Bit SOC used in our
popular PINE A64 Single Board Computer, the PinePhone runs mainline
Linux as well as anything else you�ll get it to run."

This will just give me more evidence why samsung should work with us too.

I'm a bit shocked, and very excited, none of the gentoo folks have
blazed this trail!

They are even clustering the these phone:

https://www.pine64.org/clusterboard/

My vision was more of a generic cluster, where any embedded linux phone
(most?) could just join/run/exit
a cluster for a myriad of reasons. USB-4 would be a better interface
than a 'buss', imho.

Multi-path-asynchronous routing can lead to awesome
security semantics...... and clustered phones with services different
vendors, would just be sooooooooo
cool.

Stay tuned and remember, just one extra 12VDC battery,
like the optima series, would be quiet capable of interfacing to solar
panels and running that cluster on a tractor in a parade, or just
replacing fancy/expensive vendor equipment software that gives a tractor
advanced controls capabilities with the attachments......

piss on Deer, Case and the rest. WE do not need them anymore, except to
service warranty issues.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tractor_manufacturers

viva gentoo....

Re: Gentoo on a cell?

n952162
what do you see 5G providing that 4G couldn't deliver?

On 2/24/20 3:55 PM, n952162 wrote:

> what do you see 5G providing that 4G couldn't deliver?
>
> On 2020-02-21 00:38, james wrote:
>> 5G CAN change everything! Gentoo should blaze the open source pathway
>> of contributions and WE all should dream, build and get control of our
>> country back!
>>

>> 5G may be our last chance before Satan rules via consolidating all the
>> large governments! 5G is our last chance, imho, for citizens to get
>> control of their respective countries back. Stand or die, as the
>> plagues of the last days, are just around the corner. Gentoo saves the
>> world? Sound like a good movie for someone to make.....

That is simple and complex.
simple  more bandwidth, lower latencies in the silicon,
and many advances that are hard to leverage with 4G limitations.

Complex answer. There is a technical war afoot, as to the plethora of
advanced capabilities in the 5G chipsets, the rules of usage for 5G, and
the fact that several orders of magnitude increase in the number of
antennae needed alone, will cause an explosion of entrepreneurial
activity, a vast diversity of hardware
and many new 'sub_methods' to modulate bits around, legally.

That's one of the reason our govt. will exclude china from this
activity, at least on US soil.

Asynchronous, multi-path Rf is just one aspect I'm working on. It's a
feeding freenzy for technologist,
both hardware,software and even bio-centric devices.

Nefarious activities, like unauthorized injection, are but one boon for
those with illicit intentions. Be aware, be strong, and get ready to
secure you signals,
all of them.

Gentoo folks should be leading on this, cause 5G can be implement is a
small number of cars, just driving down the road. Build it in
milliseconds, deploy and have fun
tear down, and rinse-repeat, with different security semantics.

The greater Dallas area is already on fire with activity
leaving Calif. behind in the dust, cause they build the hardware in a
myriad of non-disclosed vendor haunts....

Rock and Roll, brother!

Re: Gentoo on a cell?

n952162
What do you mean with this?

On 2020-02-21 00:38, james wrote:
> Now, I'm a 5G activist, so that telcos become merely non-exclusive
> bandwidth providers and only the less informed use them for mobile
> software stacks.....

I, like everybody else, am "less informed", but I'm informed enough to
strongly doubt that the telcos will give up the grip that they have on
the mobile market.  3gpp is not Wikileaks.  It's a telco tool to make
money (that's not a criticism.  The mobile industry put food on my table
for decades).  I'm not on the 5G track, but as far as I understand, it's
mostly just new Radio Access Network technology.  Does it have a
different interface to the core (business systems)?  Not likely - that's
been serving since G2.

Re: Gentoo on a cell?

n952162

On 2020-02-24 22:18, james wrote:

> On 2/24/20 3:55 PM, n952162 wrote:
>> what do you see 5G providing that 4G couldn't deliver?
>>
>> On 2020-02-21 00:38, james wrote:
>>> 5G CAN change everything! Gentoo should blaze the open source pathway
>>> of contributions and WE all should dream, build and get control of our
>>> country back!
>>>

>>> 5G may be our last chance before Satan rules via consolidating all the
>>> large governments! 5G is our last chance, imho, for citizens to get
>>> control of their respective countries back. Stand or die, as the
>>> plagues of the last days, are just around the corner. Gentoo saves the
>>> world? Sound like a good movie for someone to make.....
>>

> That is simple and complex.
> simple  more bandwidth, lower latencies in the silicon,
> and many advances that are hard to leverage with 4G limitations.

Can you list some examples of these advances, beyond throughput and
latency improvements?

Re: Gentoo on a cell?

n952162

On 2020-02-21 00:38, james wrote:
5G CAN change everything! Gentoo should blaze the open source pathway
of contributions and WE all should dream, build and get control of our
country back!

5G may be our last chance before Satan rules via consolidating all the
large governments! 5G is our last chance, imho, for citizens to get
control of their respective countries back. Stand or die, as the
plagues of the last days, are just around the corner. Gentoo saves the
world? Sound like a good movie for someone to make.....

That is simple and complex.
simple� more bandwidth, lower latencies in the silicon,
and many advances that are hard to leverage with 4G limitations.

Can you list some examples of these advances, beyond throughput and
latency improvements?

Can, yes. Going to, nope. Things are still 'fluid' even in the standard and rules governing 5G. Right now, ALL are encouraged to experiment and party. The major carriers are moving to drastically limit entrepreneurship in all things 5G.  Just look at the myriad of failures with Verizon. They are the poster-child of way carriers are the last folks on the earth that need to be 'architecting' the furture of 5G.

Not to mention they will sell out any country, in a heartbeat.

5G is from the 3gpp organization, which is basically a European organization.  Who cares about Verizon?  CDMA - America's attempt to answer 3gpp -  was a bust.  If by drastically "limit entrepreneurship", you mean to open access to the network (as opposed to using it as a (rented) utensil), then I can only wonder who you are.

Re: Gentoo on a cell?

james-3
On 2/24/20 4:30 PM, n952162 wrote:

> What do you mean with this?
>
> On 2020-02-21 00:38, james wrote:
>> Now, I'm a 5G activist, so that telcos become merely non-exclusive
>> bandwidth providers and only the less informed use them for mobile
>> software stacks.....
>
> I, like everybody else, am "less informed", but I'm informed enough to
> strongly doubt that the telcos will give up the grip that they have on
> the mobile market.� 3gpp is not Wikileaks.� It's a telco tool to make
> money (that's not a criticism.� The mobile industry put food on my table
> for decades).� I'm not on the 5G track, but as far as I understand, it's
> mostly just new Radio Access Network technology.� Does it have a
> different interface to the core (business systems)?� Not likely - that's
> been serving since G2.

Exactly. The major telcos, like many other super corps, need to be
'reigned in'. Many experts know this, they haven't a clue, nor the balls
to speak up.

A myriad of linux technologies and efforts, from the people, can look
'the beast' in the eyes and say NO.
ENOUGH. OR they can just lay down and prepare to be subsumed. I've made
my choice; but I'm old and ready to go. So what the hell do I have to loose?

There is so much more, than the published standards on 5G, which are
still not finalized, than most comprehend.
I doubt 5G will ever have a finalized standard, not even in the USA.
Sure they may act like it is, but there are too many things afoot, for
it to become static.

I cannot nor will not exactly finger specifics, as that could land me in
incarceration, where I'm not even allowed a lawyer.

What I am willing to speak up about, is GENTOO, needs a cellular
offering, imho. That way, movement from the cell to workstation to the
lappy-tablet and other devices, becomes the essence of security for the
individual.

Just marinate of having 3 or more cellphone-stacks on a single phone so
you can boot (1s) into different distros. Or having 3 sockets with
different sim cards:

https://www.lifewire.com/what-are-sim-cards-577532

Common man, the carriers are in charge of cellular security. Do you
think there is any real security on your or my cellphone?

So what happens when ordinary folks, like comm_hackers,
have hundreds of sim cards. Swaping of sim_cards. The list goes on and
on and on.

The real opportunity here, is that CONSTITUIONALLY,
law-abiding citizens have every right to privacy, which includes
personal ID security. One day, maybe soon, after 5G takes hold, a
class-action lawsuit, will find favor at the Supreme court. At the state
and regional level, not much hope. But the US supreme court has a
history of siding with citizens in such matters. The Supreme court is
very likely to become a stong activist,
due to the Trillions of dollars in fraud, and that fraud mostly damages
folks at the bottom of our society.

Things like hospital and doctor groups, where you owe money of services,
you can never pay, are about to make the bottom half of US society,
permanent victims all via that vendor controlled cell phone.

ENOUGH BULLSHIT!  Time to act, ymmv.

Local lawenforcement can easily circumvent 'due process' via modern cell
phones. Many companies are doing just that, and selling illegal data, to
anyone with money.

Shall I continue to elaborate? NO. Picture is more than adequately
framed, imho.

Be Blessed,
James

Re: Gentoo on a cell?

james-3
On 2/24/20 5:10 PM, n952162 wrote:

> On 2020-02-24 23:00, james wrote:

>>> Can you list some examples of these advances, beyond throughput and
>>> latency improvements?
>>
>> Can, yes. Going to, nope. Things are still 'fluid' even in the
>> standard and rules governing 5G. Right now, ALL are encouraged to
>> experiment and party. The major carriers are moving to drastically
>> limit entrepreneurship in all things 5G.? Just look at the myriad of
>> failures with Verizon. They are the poster-child of way carriers are
>> the last folks on the earth that need to be 'architecting' the furture
>> of 5G.
>>
>> Not to mention they will sell out any country, in a heartbeat.
>>

> 5G is from the 3gpp organization, which is basically a European
> organization.? Who cares about Verizon?? CDMA - America's attempt to
> answer 3gpp -? was a bust.? If by /drastically/ "limit
> entrepreneurship", you mean to open access to the network (as opposed to
> using it as a (rented) utensil), then I can only wonder who you are.

"James" is my moniker, look through the gentoo records.

I disagree. I know a few savant EEs that are building the chip sets. 5G
is more about what is inside the gallium Arsenide. What you allude to is
the 'cover story' of what 5G is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallium_arsenide

5G is much more about what's inside the chip sets, as opposed to
government edicts. That's why the USA woke up and said no to china,
selling 5G chip sets in the USA. Folks are building processors and
memory inside the Gallium Arsenide. Surely France and Germany have GA
chipset capabilities as do China, Russia and others.

So now it seems that  the Co-founder of Mirantis Boris Renski is all
about open source, 5G:

"Mirantis co-founder to create open-source 5G startup"

https://www.zdnet.com/article/mirantis-co-founder-leaves-to-create-open-source-5g-startup/

More folks are getting the 5G 'shared bandwidth' concept:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/shared-spectrum-whats-next-and-why-it-matters-for-businesses/

So gentoo will have reference codes to include in gentoo-arm buildouts?

"But, now that the FCC has opened up the 3.5 GHz Citizens Broadband
Radio Service (CBRS) band, there's room for new open-source based
companies to offer 4G LTE and eventually 5G voice and data. Renski will
be one of its pioneers."

All I'm trying to say, is this.  GENTOO has numerous trees/stacks
running on arm, as arm is the basis processor for most cell phones,
currently.  (embedded gentoo). I'm excited about gentoo pushing a cell
phone stack out, even it's clandestinely called another distro,
leveraging the Gentoo codes, ebuilds and low level stacks.... OUR
community is awesome!

I'm just not convinced that our USA government continuing to "sell
bandwidth rights", is constitutional?

So Bandwidth utilization efficiencies would skyrocket, already
mathematically proven and via numerous studies and tests, if the
bandwidth was 'open' to all legal and non-nefarious communications
companies and their visionary activities. 5G is the tech battleground,
of this decade, imho. 5G can ignite  a commercial resonance here in the
USA, and elsewhere, if allowed to be opened up to startups. Selling
bandwidth to companies like Verizon, is a very, very bad idea. WE can
reverse this selling of RF frequency domain space, very very easily.
Technically, it's a done deal. Financially and legally,
it's going to take a constitutional amendment, to get it to 'stick'.

A myriad of small companies, could easily figure out how to offer
cost-effective communications, if allowed to compete. High prices of
limited RF spectrum is a massive cost-barrier-to-entry. Very-Large Mega
corps, just stick their hand out to the government, requiring ever
increasing sums of money, just to pretend to be offering real
communications solutions. The government needs to start fining large
corporations for security breaches, and limiting their rights to
build/sell more services, until they are proven to be secure. Why do you
think that MS windows continues to suck at security?  Much more money,
as they see the lack of security, as a cash-cow.

I'd just like to see (maybe several) gentoo centric stacks, that support
5G and the myriad of yet-to-be-disclosed hardware features. I'll bet
that would bring in many new astute coders into the gentoo fold. ymmv.

sincerely,
James

Re: Gentoo on a cell?

james-3
On 2/24/20 5:22 PM, james wrote:

> [...]

>     More comments? encouragement, folks interested?
>
>     James
>
> I am very interested, although my testing capabilities would be
> restricted to a non-samsung Pixel 3. My�understanding is also that the
> Pixel and Nexus devices publish their "vendor blobs" or hardware
> binaries online which may help?�I've experimented with Ubuntu Touch a
> bit on the Nexus 5, however the device is quite slow at this point. My
> use case wouldn't be so much for control over updates, but more for
> things like Convergence (Ubuntu), Dex (Samsung) or Android Desktop.
> Where you dock your phone and have a linux/Android desktop with floating
> windows etc.
>
>  ï¿½I'd like to be kept in the loop on this, and if possible I would also
> like to help contribute software however I'm not really skilled with
> hardware. I configure my kernel and that's about it.

Look at this 5G unlocked phone from Samsung (we'll need a gentoo test &
development  deep discount). That's what I've been pitching to Samsung....

https://www.pcmag.com/news/samsung-galaxy-s20-ultra-is-americas-first-unlocked-all-carrier-5g-phone

" While the unlocked S20+ and S20 Ultra will work on every US 5G
carrier, the small S20 won't. "

A very informative read.  5G 'is not limited to 5GHz bands, 5G will be
in most 2020 model cars/trucks here in
https://www.pcmag.com/news/samsung-galaxy-s20-ultra-is-americas-first-unlocked-all-carrier-5g-phonethe
us, they're just not publishing it, so the carriers + auto-manufactures,
can work out the bugs. 5Ghz with IoT micro devices is here already. Lots
of 5G transponders already deploy, via the companies that run/own the
cell towers. The eyes && ears are among us now, already.

So get your unlocked 5G phone, complete with a built in network
analyzer, today! Spectrum analyzers built in tba in 2021.  Be up on
this, or be a victim, as the nefarious communities are deeply invest in
this race including law-enforcement, drug-dealers, and foreign
surveillance devices.

I'm still hoping a '5G dev-kit' will be publically released to the horde
of honest (gentoo) linux hackers.

Look at those frequencies above 5G! There is so much more to come and
yet to be disclosed.

GENTOO needs to be the development platform solution for this fast
moving technology!

hth,
James

12