Gentoo on an odroidH2 using eMMC

William Kenworthy
Hi,

     has anyone successfully set up Gentoo on an odroidH2 using an eMMC?

I have got as far as the pivot-root (so it loads and executes the
intramfs) but fails to find the /dev/mmcblk0p[01] devices.  The sting is
I copied the files it to a USB key and that boots fine!  It appears that
the eMMC initramfs is not loading the modules for the eMMC where as the
USB version is (and they are using the same file!).  I have tried
manually loading the modules from the efi shell I think are involved but
no mmc devices appear.

The eMMC runs uefi from GPT partitions using refind but as the bios
finds and loads the ramdisk I think thats working ok (I did a working
ubuntu install first, then reused those partitions.) I can use usb early
boot to pivot to the root on the USB key but so far cant pivot from the
eMMC initramfs to real_root. Ubuntu uses grub, which I tried first but
had even less success with that.

Hints anyone?

BillK

Re: Gentoo on an odroidH2 using eMMC

William Kenworthy
On 17/12/19 6:31 am, Bill Kenworthy wrote:

> Hi,
>
>     has anyone successfully set up Gentoo on an odroidH2 using an eMMC?
>
> I have got as far as the pivot-root (so it loads and executes the
> intramfs) but fails to find the /dev/mmcblk0p[01] devices.  The sting
> is I copied the files it to a USB key and that boots fine! It appears
> that the eMMC initramfs is not loading the modules for the eMMC where
> as the USB version is (and they are using the same file!).  I have
> tried manually loading the modules from the efi shell I think are
> involved but no mmc devices appear.
>
> The eMMC runs uefi from GPT partitions using refind but as the bios
> finds and loads the ramdisk I think thats working ok (I did a working
> ubuntu install first, then reused those partitions.) I can use usb
> early boot to pivot to the root on the USB key but so far cant pivot
> from the eMMC initramfs to real_root. Ubuntu uses grub, which I tried
> first but had even less success with that.
>
> Hints anyone?
>
> BillK

One further point, I cant boot off the usb and pivotroot to the eMMC
root - again no eMMC modules loaded.  But once the usb root is running,
the eMMC modules are loaded.  Its looking like the kernel device
detection needs real root which is ... odd!

BillK