Gentoo with an accessible desktop

David Mehler
Hello,

I'm a new Gentoo user, getting back in to it for the past two weeks.
I've got two Gentoo virtual machines, both running on amd64 hardware
and both having console speech with espeak, espeakup, and speakup. Now
I'm wanting to take one of them and go graphical with it. My
expectation was to go gnome3, but first problem I'm getting some sort
of error, see below, and the second issue is one of a UI change, I was
expecting an interface like gnome2, which reading posts shows me
that's not possible. I know KDE is not accessible, at least the last
time I checked about two years ago.

I'd appreciate any suggestions, I do have a working xorg install so
that's not an issue. My goal is desktop, orca, and apps all
accessible, I've tried both the standard Gentoo amd64 desktop and the
amd64 desktop gnome profile.

Thanks.
Dave.

Re: Gentoo with an accessible desktop

Jann Schneider
Hello,

i'm using the Desktop Gnome Systemd profile on my notebooks and it
works quite nice. What kind of errors do you get?

The gnome-tweak-utility might be helpful to customize the ui to your
personal preferences: you could for example enable some gnome shell
extensions to get a categorized applications menu or a places menu and
much other things.

btw. did you take a look at the mate desktop allready? I didn't but
read many good things about it being fairly accessible and close to
gnome 2 or lxde (not quite sure :) ) Maybe this would be of some
interesst, too.

Regards
Jann

> Hello,
>
> I'm a new Gentoo user, getting back in to it for the past two weeks.
> I've got two Gentoo virtual machines, both running on amd64 hardware
> and both having console speech with espeak, espeakup, and speakup. Now
> I'm wanting to take one of them and go graphical with it. My
> expectation was to go gnome3, but first problem I'm getting some sort
> of error, see below, and the second issue is one of a UI change, I was
> expecting an interface like gnome2, which reading posts shows me
> that's not possible. I know KDE is not accessible, at least the last
> time I checked about two years ago.
>
> I'd appreciate any suggestions, I do have a working xorg install so
> that's not an issue. My goal is desktop, orca, and apps all
> accessible, I've tried both the standard Gentoo amd64 desktop and the
> amd64 desktop gnome profile.
>
> Thanks.
> Dave.

Re: Gentoo with an accessible desktop

David Mehler
Hello,

Not sure why I'm not having any luck then. Here's the output of emerge
-pv gnome:

root@gentoo64_gnome:~#emerge -pv gnome

Calculating dependencies... done!

!!! The ebuild selected to satisfy
">=net-misc/networkmanager-0.9.8[modemmanager]" has unmet
requirements.
- net-misc/networkmanager-1.0.0::gentoo USE="bluetooth dhclient dhcpcd
gnutls introspection ncurses nss ppp wext wifi -connection-sharing
-consolekit -modemmanager -resolvconf (-selinux) -systemd -teamd -test
-vala -zeroconf" ABI_X86="64"

  The following REQUIRED_USE flag constraints are unsatisfied:
    exactly-one-of ( nss gnutls ) exactly-one-of ( dhclient dhcpcd )

  The above constraints are a subset of the following complete expression:
    modemmanager? ( ppp ) exactly-one-of ( nss gnutls ) exactly-one-of
( dhclient dhcpcd )

(dependency required by
"gnome-base/gnome-control-center-3.14.2-r1::gentoo" [ebuild])
(dependency required by
"net-libs/gnome-online-accounts-3.14.3::gentoo[gnome]" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "net-libs/libgfbgraph-0.2.2::gentoo" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "net-misc/gnome-online-miners-3.14.1::gentoo" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "gnome-extra/gnome-documents-3.14.2::gentoo" [ebuild])
(dependency required by
"gnome-base/gnome-extra-apps-3.14.0-r1::gentoo[tracker]" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "gnome-base/gnome-3.14.0::gentoo[extras]" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "gnome" [argument])

Thanks.
Dave.