HP 6720

sayusi
Hi all!

I want to buy a HP laptop (link bottom).
Anybody installed gentoo this type? Or where is available some
information (gentoo) linux vs. notebook?

Thanks for the help!

András

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/321957-321957-64295-321838-89315-3442832.html

--
- -
-- Csanyi Andras -- http://sayusi.hu -- Sayusi Ando
-- "Bízzál Istenben és tartsd szárazon a puskaport!".-- Cromwell

Re: HP 6720

Beso-2
2008/9/2 András Csányi <[hidden email]>:

> Hi all!
>
> I want to buy a HP laptop (link bottom).
> Anybody installed gentoo this type? Or where is available some
> information (gentoo) linux vs. notebook?
>
> Thanks for the help!
>
> András
>
> http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/321957-321957-64295-321838-89315-3442832.html
>
> --
> - -
> -- Csanyi Andras -- http://sayusi.hu -- Sayusi Ando
> -- "Bízzál Istenben és tartsd szárazon a puskaport!".-- Cromwell

this pc will work at 100% of its functionality on any linux version
available. everything, starting from the sata controllers to the video
board, is supported by the linux kernel. you might have to install
only the abn wireless intel drivers and you're done.
you'll just need to follow the gentoo installation handbook and
compile the right modules in the kernel and you'll have the notebook
working perfectly. you might also want to try out the live ebuilds for
the intel xorg drivers to have the most recent intel updates. this
driver is the only one to support usermode xorg server and kernel
modesetting. for this i'd advice you to try out first the fedora 9
version + updates; you might use it to compile the gentoo later from
it - use alternative source installation: from another linux
distribution so that you'll still have a linux distro working (about
30mins of installation time) while compiling gentoo.
i'd also advise you to use the amd64 branch since it will take full
advantage of this pc.

dott. ing. beso

Re: HP 6720

sayusi
2008/9/2 Beso <[hidden email]>:

> 2008/9/2 András Csányi <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi all!
>>
>> I want to buy a HP laptop (link bottom).
>> Anybody installed gentoo this type? Or where is available some
>> information (gentoo) linux vs. notebook?
>>
>> Thanks for the help!
>>
>> András
>>
>> http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/321957-321957-64295-321838-89315-3442832.html
>>
>> --
>> - -
>> -- Csanyi Andras -- http://sayusi.hu -- Sayusi Ando
>> -- "Bízzál Istenben és tartsd szárazon a puskaport!".-- Cromwell
>>

> this pc will work at 100% of its functionality on any linux version
> available. everything, starting from the sata controllers to the video
> board, is supported by the linux kernel. you might have to install
> only the abn wireless intel drivers and you're done.
> you'll just need to follow the gentoo installation handbook and
> compile the right modules in the kernel and you'll have the notebook
> working perfectly. you might also want to try out the live ebuilds for
> the intel xorg drivers to have the most recent intel updates. this
> driver is the only one to support usermode xorg server and kernel
> modesetting. for this i'd advice you to try out first the fedora 9
> version + updates; you might use it to compile the gentoo later from
> it - use alternative source installation: from another linux
> distribution so that you'll still have a linux distro working (about
> 30mins of installation time) while compiling gentoo.
> i'd also advise you to use the amd64 branch since it will take full
> advantage of this pc.

Oohh! Great news! Thanks for your reply!

András

--
- -
-- Csanyi Andras -- http://sayusi.hu -- Sayusi Ando
-- "Bízzál Istenben és tartsd szárazon a puskaport!".-- Cromwell

Re: HP 6720

Beso-2
2008/9/2 András Csányi <[hidden email]>:

> 2008/9/2 Beso <[hidden email]>:
>> 2008/9/2 András Csányi <[hidden email]>:
>>> Hi all!
>>>
>>> I want to buy a HP laptop (link bottom).
>>> Anybody installed gentoo this type? Or where is available some
>>> information (gentoo) linux vs. notebook?
>>>
>>> Thanks for the help!
>>>
>>> András
>>>
>>> http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/321957-321957-64295-321838-89315-3442832.html
>>>
>>> --
>>> - -
>>> -- Csanyi Andras -- http://sayusi.hu -- Sayusi Ando
>>> -- "Bízzál Istenben és tartsd szárazon a puskaport!".-- Cromwell
>>>

>> this pc will work at 100% of its functionality on any linux version
>> available. everything, starting from the sata controllers to the video
>> board, is supported by the linux kernel. you might have to install
>> only the abn wireless intel drivers and you're done.
>> you'll just need to follow the gentoo installation handbook and
>> compile the right modules in the kernel and you'll have the notebook
>> working perfectly. you might also want to try out the live ebuilds for
>> the intel xorg drivers to have the most recent intel updates. this
>> driver is the only one to support usermode xorg server and kernel
>> modesetting. for this i'd advice you to try out first the fedora 9
>> version + updates; you might use it to compile the gentoo later from
>> it - use alternative source installation: from another linux
>> distribution so that you'll still have a linux distro working (about
>> 30mins of installation time) while compiling gentoo.
>> i'd also advise you to use the amd64 branch since it will take full
>> advantage of this pc.
>
> Oohh! Great news! Thanks for your reply!
>
> András
>
> --
> - -
> -- Csanyi Andras -- http://sayusi.hu -- Sayusi Ando
> -- "Bízzál Istenben és tartsd szárazon a puskaport!".-- Cromwell

well, basically whatever computer has inside intel hw will work out of
the box with any linux version. the problem might rise with sd readers
and integrated cameras which still have some problems.
stay away from anything that contains a broadcom wireless board (now
it's not very good) or via/sis videoboards (still not very supported).
everything else will work out of the box without much problems. the
only condition is to stay tuned with the linux kernel if something
doesn't work and with various forums and mailing lists like
xorg-mailing list, the kde/gnome one and sites like phoronix which
deliver a big deal of work about linux hw compatibility.

dott. ing. beso

Re: HP 6720

Ângelo Miguel Arrifano
On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 15:15:24 +0200
Beso <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2008/9/2 András Csányi <[hidden email]>:

> >> this pc will work at 100% of its functionality on any linux version
> >> available. everything, starting from the sata controllers to the video
> >> board, is supported by the linux kernel. you might have to install
> >> only the abn wireless intel drivers and you're done.
> >> you'll just need to follow the gentoo installation handbook and
> >> compile the right modules in the kernel and you'll have the notebook
> >> working perfectly. you might also want to try out the live ebuilds for
> >> the intel xorg drivers to have the most recent intel updates. this
> >> driver is the only one to support usermode xorg server and kernel
> >> modesetting. for this i'd advice you to try out first the fedora 9
> >> version + updates; you might use it to compile the gentoo later from
> >> it - use alternative source installation: from another linux
> >> distribution so that you'll still have a linux distro working (about
> >> 30mins of installation time) while compiling gentoo.
> >> i'd also advise you to use the amd64 branch since it will take full
> >> advantage of this pc.
> >
> > Oohh! Great news! Thanks for your reply!
> >
> > András
> >
> > --
> > - -
> > -- Csanyi Andras -- http://sayusi.hu -- Sayusi Ando
> > -- "Bízzál Istenben és tartsd szárazon a puskaport!".-- Cromwell
> >

> well, basically whatever computer has inside intel hw will work out of
> the box with any linux version. the problem might rise with sd readers

I have an HP dv6535ep.
While most of the hardware is different, the laptop you are talking about
could be equipped with the same SD card reader (most hp series 6 laptops do).

07:05.1 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 22)
07:05.2 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd Device 0843 (rev 12)
07:05.3 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter (rev 12)
07:05.4 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd xD-Picture Card Controller (rev ff)

I was never able to put this card reader into action.

> and integrated cameras which still have some problems.
> stay away from anything that contains a broadcom wireless board (now

I have a broadcom wireless chip:
03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI (rev 02)

ndiswrapper works perfectly, I can even use the hardware button for enabling/disabling the
wireless chip. The wireless status led also works, it turns from blue to red according wireless
status.

Latest Linux includes the b43 driver which works nice too.

So there is no reason for staying away from broadcom chips, at least BCM43x versions

--
Angelo Arrifano AKA MiKNiX
CSE Student at UBI, Portugal

- -
This is clearly another case of too many mad scientists, and not enough
hunchbacks.