Hello Everyone

Tushar Rajput

 I am novice programmer and wants to contribute to gentoo.Can you give me some details?
Thanks

Re: Hello Everyone

Roy Bamford-2
On 2015.02.22 12:05, Tushar Rajput wrote:
>  I am novice programmer and wants to contribute to gentoo.Can you
> give
> me
> some details?
> Thanks

Tushar,

Welcome.

Sign up to bugs.gentoo.org

Find some bugs in your area of interest, fix them, test the fixes and
post patches on the bugs.

Roy Bamford
(Neddyseagoon) a member of
elections
gentoo-ops
forum-mods
trustees

Re: <DKIM> [gentoo-dev] Hello Everyone

Nicolas Sebrecht
On Sun, Feb 22, 2015 at 05:35:47PM +0530, Tushar Rajput wrote:

>    Â I am novice programmer and wants to contribute to gentoo.Can you give
>    me some details?

I think you should be aware about some context that might not be all
obvious at a first start.

* Gentoo is mainly splitted in two: the developers and the council.

* Developers must apply to the council policies.

* Most of the work happens on the Bugzilla Wall, whether you like it or
  not, and even if it's a oneline patch.

* Gentoo relies on teams, affected on areas and ebuilds.

* Only official maintainers commit updates.

* Commits are done to the SVN repository, the Great Temple.

* Each official maintainer have write access to the full portage tree
  but occasional commits outside your official affected areas might not
  be welcome at all. Commited patches are not reviewed and having the
  keys to the Great Temple is not enough, occasional contributions
  somewhere else means you should supply your work through the Bugzilla
  Wall.

* As a non-official maintainer, occasional contributions requires you to
  diligently offer your services to the Eminence official maintainer:
  you can't understand what maintaining means in Gentoo.

* Becoming a Gentoo maintainer is a step by step process: you first make
  your best to have good scores at fixing bugs in the Bugzilla Wall and
  being at the top of the Scoreboard, then you request an official
  position, if someone agrees and takes time to answer your request you
  must pass the GreatOnlineTestToCheckYourSkills, if you're successfull
  then you are mentored by the guardians of the temple for some
  not-much-well-defined times, and finally you might become an official
  maintainer.

* Fun is lost for a long time.

* Gentoo's specific workflow, tools, policies and administratives tasks
  have a long history and are designed for a long time to become this
  wonderfull 5 starts palace.

* And of course, keep your efforts and your energy. ,-)

Nicolas Sebrecht

Re: <DKIM> [gentoo-dev] Hello Everyone

Andrew Savchenko
On Sun, 22 Feb 2015 18:08:52 +0100 Nicolas Sebrecht wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 22, 2015 at 05:35:47PM +0530, Tushar Rajput wrote:
>
> >    Â I am novice programmer and wants to contribute to gentoo.Can you give
> >    me some details?
>
> I think you should be aware about some context that might not be all
> obvious at a first start.
>
> * Gentoo is mainly splitted in two: the developers and the council.
>
> * Developers must apply to the council policies.
>
> * Most of the work happens on the Bugzilla Wall, whether you like it or
>   not, and even if it's a oneline patch.
>
> * Gentoo relies on teams, affected on areas and ebuilds.
>
> * Only official maintainers commit updates.
>
> * Commits are done to the SVN repository, the Great Temple.
Is this a joke? We have CVS here.

> * Each official maintainer have write access to the full portage tree
>   but occasional commits outside your official affected areas might not
>   be welcome at all. Commited patches are not reviewed and having the
>   keys to the Great Temple is not enough, occasional contributions
>   somewhere else means you should supply your work through the Bugzilla
>   Wall.
>
> * As a non-official maintainer, occasional contributions requires you to
>   diligently offer your services to the Eminence official maintainer:
>   you can't understand what maintaining means in Gentoo.
>
> * Becoming a Gentoo maintainer is a step by step process: you first make
>   your best to have good scores at fixing bugs in the Bugzilla Wall and
>   being at the top of the Scoreboard, then you request an official
>   position, if someone agrees and takes time to answer your request you
>   must pass the GreatOnlineTestToCheckYourSkills, if you're successfull
>   then you are mentored by the guardians of the temple for some
>   not-much-well-defined times, and finally you might become an official
>   maintainer.
>
> * Fun is lost for a long time.
Not really :)

> * Gentoo's specific workflow, tools, policies and administratives tasks
>   have a long history and are designed for a long time to become this
>   wonderfull 5 starts palace.
>
> * And of course, keep your efforts and your energy. ,-)

The most important part indeed.

Best regards,
Andrew Savchenko

Re: <DKIM> [gentoo-dev] Hello Everyone

On Sun, Feb 22, 2015 at 12:08 PM, Nicolas Sebrecht
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> * Gentoo is mainly splitted in two: the developers and the council.

A bit of an odd statement considering all the council members are
developers, and were elected by them.

If it seems like most devs are at odds with the Council, consider that
the Council is only asked to make decisions when there is widespread
disagreement, and people tend to not complain when they agree with the
decisions that get made.

The Council actually fairly supportive of fixing most of the issues
you raise, like our dependence on "SVN" (also known as CVS), and the
difficulty of contributing patches/etc.  The problem is that the
transition isn't trivial to make, especially since we're 100%
volunteer.  There is already a semi-official github repo that anybody
can contribute pull requests to, and they get committed to the main
tree.  So, anybody who prefers to operate in this manner can do so.

Unfortunately, though, it seems like our lists tend to be full of
these kinds of trolling posts.

Re: Hello Everyone

Ben de Groot-2
On 22 February 2015 at 20:05, Tushar Rajput <[hidden email]> wrote:

 I am novice programmer and wants to contribute to gentoo.Can you give me some details?
Thanks

We actually have a wiki page that does: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Contributing_to_Gentoo

Ben | yngwin
Gentoo developer

Re: <DKIM> [gentoo-dev] Hello Everyone

Anthony G. Basile
On 02/22/15 12:08, Nicolas Sebrecht wrote:
> * Fun is lost for a long time.

George Boole was wrong.  Boolean values live on a continuum.  Most of
your statements were false.  This is is extremely false.

--
Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]

Re: <DKIM> [gentoo-dev] Hello Everyone

Peter Stuge-4
Anthony G. Basile wrote:
> On 02/22/15 12:08, Nicolas Sebrecht wrote:
>> * Fun is lost for a long time.
>
> This is is extremely false.

It's a very subjective matter. I don't doubt that Gentoo is fun for
some or many or even all developers. I also have no doubt that the
process of becoming a developer isn't fun for Nicolas.

The two are not mutually exclusive, and it's important to allow room
for both to exist, and focus on if and how things can change to be
even better for everyone involved.

Nicolas wrote a subjective email which was a little tongue-in-cheek,
room for Nicolas to feel the way he does (must not say that he is
wrong in how he feels) *and* to also express it.

I personally also don't find Gentoo fun. It's interesting and
educational and powerful but not fun.

Using Gentoo's state-of-the-art tools I get to discover bugs nobody
has ever seen before, because I do something that nobody has done
before and (upstream) developers are either incompetent or lazy or
both.

Fixing problems caused by others is not fun, but at the end of the
day that is what open source really is all about.

//Peter

Re: <DKIM> [gentoo-dev] Hello Everyone

Rich Freeman
On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 8:25 AM, Peter Stuge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Anthony G. Basile wrote:
>> On 02/22/15 12:08, Nicolas Sebrecht wrote:
>>> * Fun is lost for a long time.
>>
>> This is is extremely false.
>
> It's a very subjective matter. I don't doubt that Gentoo is fun for
> some or many or even all developers. I also have no doubt that the
> process of becoming a developer isn't fun for Nicolas.

I can't imagine that his post will make the process of becoming a
developer any more fun for him, if that is one of his goals.
Communications/relations is definitely one of the things recruiters
look at.  If we move to a more review-based workflow those skills
actually become even more important.

I think we should be able to have frank discussion of
issues/ideas/etc.  However, when the sarcasm/passive-aggressive level
starts rising to the point where somebody just asking for how they can
help out gets an ultra-cynical reply suggesting that Gentoo isn't
worth their time, then maybe the solution to some of our manpower
problems is to block certain individuals from posting to the lists.

Many of the statements in his post were outright false.  Others
suggest that nobody in the dev community cares about some of the
problems we do have, which is far from the truth.  The issues just
aren't trivial to solve.  A challenge here is that Gentoo means
different things to different people.  If there were only one binary
distro out there then they'd struggle with the same kinds of
divisions.  What really brings us together is that we have some kind
of problem/interest that is solved by the use of a source-based
distro.  If we were one of a hundred source-based distros we could be
the distro for hardened servers, or for desktops, or for embedded.  I
think our divisions actually in some sense reflect our success - we're
actually good at so many things that we're all over the map in terms
of our goals/culture/etc.

I think this is actually an exciting time to get involved with Gentoo.
We're in the midst of a lot of change, which of course brings
frustration for both those who want things to change faster and those
who perhaps would prefer less change.  However, this is a time where
one person who is determined can make a big difference.  If you try to
make an improvement and find some kind of roadblocks being thrown in
your path, speak up about it.  In almost every case of this that was
escalated to the Council in the last year, the Council has generally
supported the person who wants to get into something over those who
would prefer to keep them out.  The only thing we generally ask is
that everybody acts responsibly to prevent messes, and that you fix
the messes you make and not just dump them on others.

Bottom line is that in FOSS you get a lot further with a line of code
than a line of email.