How do I recover from deleted gcc on U60

How do I recover from deleted gcc on U60

Phil Botha
Hi list-members,

I stupidly menaged to unmerge gcc on my Ultra60. It is the only one of my
Sparcs currently running Gentoo.

How to recover without a total re-install?
Phil Botha
AssetSure Tech Services

Are you still a Micro-serf locked in by gates, looking out through windows?
Escape to the freedom of the wide Open Source world!

"In the heaven of Gates, you pay the Bill"

RE: How do I recover from deleted gcc on U60

Longman, Bill
> I stupidly menaged to unmerge gcc on my Ultra60. It is the
> only one of my
> Sparcs currently running Gentoo.
>
> How to recover without a total re-install?

Hmmm....I suspect you might be able to find the package on the install CD.
And you probably have a working gcc on the install CD. You might try
--usepkg.

I'm just guessing. Other minds will surely have better ideas.

--
Bill

Re: How do I recover from deleted gcc on U60

Andrew Gaffney
Longman, Bill wrote:

>> I stupidly menaged to unmerge gcc on my Ultra60. It is the
>> only one of my
>> Sparcs currently running Gentoo.
>>
>> How to recover without a total re-install?
>
> Hmmm....I suspect you might be able to find the package on the install CD.
> And you probably have a working gcc on the install CD. You might try
> --usepkg.
>
> I'm just guessing. Other minds will surely have better ideas.

While the minimal and universal CDs *may( have a gutted gcc with minimal
functionality, there is no /var/db/pkg, so you can't really use portage with it.

You have 2 options for recovering from this: 1) find someone who has a recent
gcc built with the same USE that you had and similar CFLAGS, or 2) reinstall.

--
Andrew Gaffney                            http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/
Gentoo Linux Developer                                   Installer Project

RE: How do I recover from deleted gcc on U60

Mitchell, Ralph
> While the minimal and universal CDs *may( have a gutted gcc with minimal
> functionality, there is no /var/db/pkg, so you can't really use portage with it.
>
> You have 2 options for recovering from this: 1) find someone who has a recent
> gcc built with the same USE that you had and similar CFLAGS, or 2) reinstall.

Couldn't he unpack a stage3 tarball, chroot into it and do just enough updates to get gcc to the level he previously had??  Then quickpkg it and drop it into the munged system.

Or am I being terribly naive??

Ralph Mitchell

winmail.dat (3K) Download Attachment

RE: How do I recover from deleted gcc on U60

Ferris McCormick