How do I start Espeakup under Systemd

John Robinson
Hi everyone.  I'm trying to upgrade my Gentoo system to use Systemd
instead of Openrc.  I use the Speakup screen reader built into my
kernel and the Espeak software synthesizer.  I also use Espeakup to
connect the two.  Starting Espeakup was easy under Openrc using an
Init script which the ebuild installed, but I cannot figure out how to
start it under Systemd.  As I understand it, you can only start a
program under Systemd if you have the appropriate Systemd service file
in /usr/lib/system/system.  I have played around with USE flags and
re-installed Espeakup several times.  Try as I might, I cannot get the
Gentoo Espeakup ebuild version 0.71 to install a Systemd service file.
 For this reason I cannot start Espeakup and now have no speech.  Does
anyone on this list have experience of running Espeakup under Systemd?
 If so, I'd be very grateful to hear how you did it.

Many thanks for any help.

John Robinson

Re: How do I start Espeakup under Systemd

Chris Brannon
John Robinson <[hidden email]> writes:

> anyone on this list have experience of running Espeakup under Systemd?
>  If so, I'd be very grateful to hear how you did it.

There's no .service file included with the espeakup source distribution,
and there isn't one in the auxiliary files directory for the package.
I do have experience running espeakup under systemd on Arch, and your
best bet is probably to grab the .service file from their package.  I'll
even make it easy for you with a link:
https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/community.git/plain/trunk/espeakup.service?h=packages/espeakup
You can put that in /etc/systemd/system, for now.
I haven't tested this on Gentoo and don't plan to do so, but it should
work just fine.  You're the guinea pig *grin*.
If it works for you, I'm sure someone will probably be happy to commit it.

-- Chris

On 31/10/2013, Chris Brannon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> John Robinson <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> anyone on this list have experience of running Espeakup under Systemd?
>>  If so, I'd be very grateful to hear how you did it.
>
> There's no .service file included with the espeakup source distribution,
> and there isn't one in the auxiliary files directory for the package.
> I do have experience running espeakup under systemd on Arch, and your
> best bet is probably to grab the .service file from their package.  I'll
> even make it easy for you with a link:
> https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/community.git/plain/trunk/espeakup.service?h=packages/espeakup
> You can put that in /etc/systemd/system, for now.
> I haven't tested this on Gentoo and don't plan to do so, but it should
> work just fine.  You're the guinea pig *grin*.
> If it works for you, I'm sure someone will probably be happy to commit it.
>
> -- Chris

Hi Chris.  Many thanks for your very prompt reply and for the link to
the Espeakup Systemd service file from the Arch Linux distribution.  I
had been reading about Arch Linux and Espeakup before contacting this
list and had even considered borrowing their Espeakup service file, as
you suggest.  I wasn't sure if that was sensible, however, so thought
I'd ask an expert.  I'll certainly test the Service file with Gentoo
over the weekend and let the Gentoo Accessibility mailing list know
whether it works or not.

Thanks once again for your help.

John