How to get a usb mouse working?

Paul Stear
Hi all.
I just can't seem to get my new mouse working.  Up until now I have used a ps2
mouse with no problems.
Now I have a usb one and this is what I've done so far:-
recompiled the kernel to include usb input devices
checked that the mouse is connected using lsusb, this shows Bus 003 Device
002: ID 09da:022b A4 Tech Co., Ltd
My xorg.conf reads
Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "X.org Configured"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
        InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option    "Protocol" "Auto"
        Option    "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

I can't find any info on what to do to set the new mouse correctly
Can anybody please help
Thanks
Paul
--
This message has been sent using kmail with gentoo linux

Re: How to get a usb mouse working?

Daniel da Veiga
On 11/18/05, Paul <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all.
> I just can't seem to get my new mouse working.  Up until now I have used a ps2
> mouse with no problems.
> Now I have a usb one and this is what I've done so far:-
> recompiled the kernel to include usb input devices
> checked that the mouse is connected using lsusb, this shows Bus 003 Device
> 002: ID 09da:022b A4 Tech Co., Ltd
> My xorg.conf reads
> Section "ServerLayout"
>         Identifier     "X.org Configured"
>         Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
>         InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
>         InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
> EndSection
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier  "Mouse0"
>         Driver      "mouse"
>         Option      "Protocol" "Auto"
>         Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
> Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
> EndSection

Well, you should check dmesg when you plug your mouse to see how
exactly it is recognized, then use "cat" in the file that represent
your mouse (you're pointing to /dev/input/mice at xorg.conf, mine is
/dev/mice) and move the mouse, if you get garbage at the console while
moving it, its the right file and your mouse is working, so you just
need to get the right protocol (I went testing all of them till I find
the one, auto never did it for me).

> I can't find any info on what to do to set the new mouse correctly
> Can anybody please help
> Thanks
> Paul
> --
> This message has been sent using kmail with gentoo linux

Daniel da Veiga
Computer Operator - RS - Brazil

On Friday 18 Nov 2005 13:45, Daniel da Veiga wrote:

> On 11/18/05, Paul <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi all.
> > I just can't seem to get my new mouse working.  Up until now I have used
> > a ps2 mouse with no problems.
> > Now I have a usb one and this is what I've done so far:-
> > recompiled the kernel to include usb input devices
> > checked that the mouse is connected using lsusb, this shows Bus 003
> > Device 002: ID 09da:022b A4 Tech Co., Ltd
> > My xorg.conf reads
> > Section "ServerLayout"
> >         Identifier     "X.org Configured"
> >         Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
> >         InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
> >         InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
> > EndSection
> > Section "InputDevice"
> >         Identifier  "Mouse0"
> >         Driver      "mouse"
> >         Option      "Protocol" "Auto"
> >         Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
> > Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
> > EndSection
>
> Well, you should check dmesg when you plug your mouse to see how
> exactly it is recognized, then use "cat" in the file that represent
> your mouse (you're pointing to /dev/input/mice at xorg.conf, mine is
> /dev/mice) and move the mouse, if you get garbage at the console while
> moving it, its the right file and your mouse is working, so you just
> need to get the right protocol (I went testing all of them till I find
> the one, auto never did it for me).
>
> > I can't find any info on what to do to set the new mouse correctly
> > Can anybody please help
Thanks for the response,
cat /dev/mice - no such file
cat /dev/input/mice and dev/input/mouse0 work but it is my ps2 mouse not the
new usb one.
Where do I find a list of protocols to try?
Paul

Bugzilla from bigfish@asmallpond.org
On 11/18/05, Paul <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks for the response,
> cat /dev/mice - no such file
> cat /dev/input/mice and dev/input/mouse0 work but it is my ps2 mouse not the
> new usb one.
> Where do I find a list of protocols to try?

With /dev/input/mice, you do not need to try extra protocols.

/dev/input/mouseX corresponds to a specific mouse...if both PS/2 and
USB mice are seen by the kernel, you should have both mouse0 and
mouse1 devices.  With these specific devices, you need the right
protocol.

/dev/input/mice is the kernel mouse multi-plexor.  All mice that are
recognized by the kernel can be read there, with the same protocol, so
"Auto" or "ExplorerPS/2" are both fine.

What specific kernel options did you enable for the USB mouse?   The
best one is CONFIG_USB_HID with CONFIG_USB_HIDINPUT:

Device Drivers  --->
  USB support  --->
    <M>   USB Human Interface Device (full HID) support
      [*]     HID input layer support

If you have these, post the relevent lines from dmesg after plugging
in the mouse.

-Richard

On Friday 18 Nov 2005 14:48, Richard Fish wrote:

> With /dev/input/mice, you do not need to try extra protocols.
>
> /dev/input/mouseX corresponds to a specific mouse...if both PS/2 and
> USB mice are seen by the kernel, you should have both mouse0 and
> mouse1 devices.  With these specific devices, you need the right
> protocol.
>
> /dev/input/mice is the kernel mouse multi-plexor.  All mice that are
> recognized by the kernel can be read there, with the same protocol, so
> "Auto" or "ExplorerPS/2" are both fine.
>
> What specific kernel options did you enable for the USB mouse?   The
> best one is CONFIG_USB_HID with CONFIG_USB_HIDINPUT:
>
> Device Drivers  --->
>   USB support  --->
>     <M>   USB Human Interface Device (full HID) support
>       [*]     HID input layer support
>
> If you have these, post the relevent lines from dmesg after plugging
> in the mouse.

Thanks for the info, I think it was me being stupid, after I changed and
rebuilt the kernel I didn't install modules again.
I now have both mice working so I guess all I need to do now is unplug the ps2
mouse and all will be well.

Paul

--
This message has been sent using kmail with gentoo linux