How to set up an accessible mate

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

How to set up an accessible mate

Cleverson Casarin Uliana-3
Dear,

I'd like general instructions for setting up a mate environment with
Orca on Gentoo, just as we used to do with gnome. Has someone done this
already? Does installing standard mate bring up Orca as well?

Also I'd like to know if the steps for installing an accessible Gentoo
remain the same, i.e., install it as usual, then enable speakup in the
kernel and emerge espeakup and alsa-utils.

Thank you,
Cleverson

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: How to set up an accessible mate

Chris Brannon
Cleverson Casarin Uliana <[hidden email]> writes:

> I'd like general instructions for setting up a mate environment with
> Orca on Gentoo, just as we used to do with gnome. Has someone done
> this already? Does installing standard mate bring up Orca as well?

Looking at mate dependencies in portage, it doesn't appear that
installing mate will automatically pull in orca, so you're going to have
to do that yourself.
There's a blog post describing how to get it running on Arch:
http://stormdragon.tk/tag/linux/
I don't think anyone has installed an accessible mate on Gentoo yet, so
a nice project would be to try installing by adapting the instructions
for Arch Linux to Gentoo.  I'm vaguely interested in trying this
myself.  If I do, I'll report back on my findings.

-- Chris

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: How to set up an accessible mate

Jude DaShiell
Has gentoo got a mate-extras package?  That's where orca is found in
archlinux if what I read on the support list is correct?

On Sat, 1 Nov 2014, Chris Brannon wrote:

> Cleverson Casarin Uliana <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > I'd like general instructions for setting up a mate environment with
> > Orca on Gentoo, just as we used to do with gnome. Has someone done
> > this already? Does installing standard mate bring up Orca as well?
>
> Looking at mate dependencies in portage, it doesn't appear that
> installing mate will automatically pull in orca, so you're going to have
> to do that yourself.
> There's a blog post describing how to get it running on Arch:
> http://stormdragon.tk/tag/linux/
> I don't think anyone has installed an accessible mate on Gentoo yet, so
> a nice project would be to try installing by adapting the instructions
> for Arch Linux to Gentoo.  I'm vaguely interested in trying this
> myself.  If I do, I'll report back on my findings.
>
> -- Chris
>
>

jude <[hidden email]>
Twitter: @jdashiel


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: How to set up an accessible mate

Chris Brannon
Jude DaShiell <[hidden email]> writes:

> Has gentoo got a mate-extras package? That's where orca is found in
> archlinux if what I read on the support list is correct?

No, we don't have mate-extra. On Arch Linux, mate-extra is actually a
package group, rather than a package. If you install it, it just
installs the packages in the group. In any case, orca isn't included in
their mate-extra group, so if that's what the "support list" says about
Arch Linux, it's wrong.

Anyway, just install mate and install orca manually. 3.14 should work.

-- Chris

Loading...