Improving Council operations with a web application

Improving Council operations with a web application

Petteri Räty-2
http://gentoocouncil.petteriraty.eu/

I have a couple times said that the council could make use of a web
application to handle things. In celebration of the holidays I did some
initial work to get feedback on the issue. I created a simple rails
application where you can create questions and vote on them if you are
registered and signed up. Here's what I am thinking for this to be truly
useful in no particular order:

1. use openid to authenticate council members via
http://dev.gentoo.org/~nick/

2. every gentoo developer may put issues for the council to vote on

3. handle agenda items for meetings

4. email notifications about new votes and if someone hasn't voted
inside some timeline

5. handle glep submission timelines automatically

Some benefits that come to mind:

1. easier to vote outside monthly meetings

2. security. Currently we don't really even check if council members are
authenticated on IRC and most of us probably don't use SSL to connect
there when authenticating.

3. People can find out votes before the official summary is done. I
think the summary should still go into CVS but this can make it easier
to create it

If you think this would be something that we could use, I can continue
to make this usable.

Regards,
Petteri

Re: Improving Council operations with a web application

Ulrich Mueller-2
[Sorry for the delay of my answer.]

> I have a couple times said that the council could make use of a web
> application to handle things. In celebration of the holidays I did
> some initial work to get feedback on the issue. I created a simple
> rails application where you can create questions and vote on them if
> you are registered and signed up. Here's what I am thinking for this
> to be truly useful in no particular order:

> 1. use openid to authenticate council members via
> http://dev.gentoo.org/~nick/

> 2. every gentoo developer may put issues for the council to vote on

> 3. handle agenda items for meetings

> 4. email notifications about new votes and if someone hasn't voted
> inside some timeline

> 5. handle glep submission timelines automatically

It looks promising, but of course we'll have to see how it works in
practical usage.

Will you write up instructions for openid if we are going to use this?

> Some benefits that come to mind:

> 1. easier to vote outside monthly meetings

If I see the rate of replies to questions raised on gentoo-council,
the problem is more to get council members vote at all outside of
meetings. ;-) But maybe an application like this will help.

> 2. security. Currently we don't really even check if council members
> are authenticated on IRC and most of us probably don't use SSL to
> connect there when authenticating.

If they have ops in #-council then they should be authenticated?
I don't see this as a big problem, and I'm sure that any imposter
would be noticed soon.

> 3. People can find out votes before the official summary is done.
> I think the summary should still go into CVS but this can make it
> easier to create it

Right, counting votes from a meeting's IRC log is somewhat difficult.
It might even help when preparing the summary.

> If you think this would be something that we could use, I can
> continue to make this usable.

I would say, go ahead.

Ulrich

On 12/29/2009 09:44 PM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:

> It looks promising, but of course we'll have to see how it works in
> practical usage.
>
> Will you write up instructions for openid if we are going to use this?

Sure. I talked with KingTaco on #gentoo-infra. Ideally we would be for
example to provide an openid provider backup by LDAP.

Regards,
Petteri