Install on a Dell E4300

Francisco Rivas
Hi all, I was trying to install Gentoo 2008.0 in a Dell E4300 but the kernel does not have support for the  Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82567LM Gigabit Network Connection. Does anybody try to install Gentoo in that notebook? or does anybody knows a better way to get gentoo working on this dell notebook?

I did the following :

Get the stages 2 files, download the kernel 2.6.28 and compile it and after that I got support for my ethernet card and wireless card but the resto of the installation was really problematic, so I decided to make that question in these lists.

thanks in advance and best regards.

--
Francisco Rivas
http://www.vaslibre.org.ve
Linux User (New) : #448324
Linux Machine (New) : 355187

Re: Install on a Dell E4300

david-108
Francisco Rivas wrote:
> but the resto of the installation was really problematic
Could you explain some details?

--
Powered by Gentoo GNU/LINUX
http://www.linuxcrazy.com

Re: Install on a Dell E4300

Francisco Rivas

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 9:15 PM, David <[hidden email]> wrote:
Francisco Rivas wrote:
but the resto of the installation was really problematic
Could you explain some details?
Of course, sorry.

I do not know if the problems were because of the driver or other things but after get the ethernet working and set the flags in make.conf file the installation of the packages like libraries and awesome wm 3 (that need newer version of some libraries) and openoffice gave me some errors, some of them were fixed looking for responses in this mailing list and others were my mistakes, things such as the video acceleration I could not get working.

I forgot to say that I am trying a 64 bits installation.

I have to say that I tried to do this installation 2 months ago I installed another linux distro, because this laptop is the one that I use for work, but I have been using gentoo for almost 1 year and a half I and really want to get it working on my new laptop.

thanks in advance.

--
Powered by Gentoo GNU/LINUX
http://www.linuxcrazy.com

--
Francisco Rivas
http://www.vaslibre.org.ve
And on the seventh day God said :wq and then make
http://beck3r.wordpress.com/
Linux User (New) : #448324
Linux Machine (New) : 355187

Re: Install on a Dell E4300

steev-5
On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 3:45 PM, Francisco Rivas <[hidden email]> wrote:
<snip>

Is this one of those "Mini-9" laptops?  Also, a stable package should
never require an unstable package, if you ran into something like
that, its definitely a bug.  However, if you added things to
package.unmask/package.keywords, thats a different story.  USE flag
dependencies should also be going stable whenever a package is
supposed to.

-- Steev

Re: Install on a Dell E4300

Francisco Rivas

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 4:48 PM, Steev Klimaszewski <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 3:45 PM, Francisco Rivas <[hidden email]> wrote:
<snip>

Is this one of those "Mini-9" laptops?
No it is not, Actually is a 13.3" Centrino 2. with integrated Intel Cantiga Mobile Series 4 Video Graphics. I tested it with Ubuntu 8.10 and it works fine with 3d acceleration. I tried to add some masked packages but it is really painful because more than the 60% of the system has to be unmasked to get it working, I think that is because it is quit new hardware yet.

I tested ArchLinux too and it is worst! jejejeje..

Also, a stable package should
never require an unstable package, if you ran into something like
that, its definitely a bug.  However, if you added things to
package.unmask/package.keywords, thats a different story.

I added some packages to unmask, and keywords.

USE flag
dependencies should also be going stable whenever a package is
supposed to.

The flags that I used were from the recomendations of the packages during the emerging (-apv)

-- Steev

Thanks :D

Note on this : I have to say that I was trying all of this 2 months ago and I am backing to try to get Gentoo working in my laptop, that is way I can not give more precisely and complete information about the errors, I really appreciate your responses. I know that it hard to help with poor information about the problem. I am going to test gentoo again in a few days and as soon as I can I will give you some details about the problems that I am embracing.

--
Francisco Rivas
http://www.vaslibre.org.ve
And on the seventh day God said :wq and then make
http://beck3r.wordpress.com/
Linux User (New) : #448324
Linux Machine (New) : 355187

Re: Install on a Dell E4300

david-108
Francisco Rivas wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 4:48 PM, Steev Klimaszewski <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 3:45 PM, Francisco Rivas
>     <snip>
>
>     Is this one of those "Mini-9" laptops?
>
> No it is not, Actually is a 13.3" Centrino 2. with integrated Intel
> Cantiga Mobile Series 4 Video Graphics. I tested it with Ubuntu 8.10
> and it works fine with 3d acceleration. I tried to add some masked
> packages but it is really painful because more than the 60% of the
> system has to be unmasked to get it working, I think that is because
> it is quit new hardware yet.
I have been running a full ~amd64 system for over 3 years now without a
reinstall, and there are some bumps in the road but I don't think any
more than stable, you just hit the problem packages first. I have found
the help on bugzilla first rate. I just needs a better way of searching
in my opinion, but if I keep looking I can usually find someone with the
same problem, with solutions. If I can't find another bug like mine then
I will report it and do all the steps that are asked.