Just getting started.

Robert Raitz
I am just getting started on this project, and I've run into multiple snags.

The first and worst is getting media that has a GUI to do the deed. My question is, since the wiki recommends using PCBSD, is the DVD live, or will I have to get a USB stick in order to have my live environment? I found a copy of the freesbie live CD after much searching, but it is just about as worthless a windows install disk. I can't get anything to function under it, even with the GUI.

I did have a chroot session going under the standard FreeBSD DVD using its so-called live CD function. However, I could only emerge --sync. Just trying to emerge portage caused all manner of grief.

So, I am making some forward progress, but not a lot. The portage tree is up to date, but that's where it stops. Any general purpose pointers would be appreciated. I really dig on Gentoo, and FreeBSD does have its strong points. I'd love to see what the two can do together.

Cheers,
Pappy

Re: Just getting started.

Naohiro Aota-3
Hello,

Robert Raitz <[hidden email]> writes:

> I am just getting started on this project, and I've run into multiple
> snags.
>
> The first and worst is getting media that has a GUI to do the deed. My
> question is, since the wiki recommends using PCBSD, is the DVD live,
> or will I have to get a USB stick in order to have my live
> environment? I found a copy of the freesbie live CD after much
> searching, but it is just about as worthless a windows install disk. I
> can't get anything to function under it, even with the GUI.

DVD or USB here would work? ftp://ftp.pcbsd.org/pub/archived/8.1/amd64/
I'm not sure since I've never tried them.

> I did have a chroot session going under the standard FreeBSD DVD using
> its so-called live CD function. However, I could only emerge --sync.
> Just trying to emerge portage caused all manner of grief.

What the error did you get? I cannot help you without any error output.

Re: Just getting started.

Robert Raitz
Apparently, it was an issue with the version of stage3 with which I was working. I just grabbed the FreeBSD-9.0 stage3, and the issues I was having are apparently gone. I have it up inside a chroot session under my current FreeBSD install. It appears to be working now as emerge -av portage is actually emerging portage. I take that back; it has finished.

Well, that's a good thing indeed. Once I get it all setup in the chroot session, then I'll tar the results, and place them on a hard drive.

If I have any further issues, I will send the errors. Since I'm doing this in chroot, I'll be better able to do that.

Cheers,
Pappy

> I am just getting started on this project, and I've run into multiple
> snags.
>
> The first and worst is getting media that has a GUI to do the deed. My
> question is, since the wiki recommends using PCBSD, is the DVD live,
> or will I have to get a USB stick in order to have my live
> environment? I found a copy of the freesbie live CD after much
> searching, but it is just about as worthless a windows install disk. I
> can't get anything to function under it, even with the GUI.

DVD or USB here would work? ftp://ftp.pcbsd.org/pub/archived/8.1/amd64/
I'm not sure since I've never tried them.

> I did have a chroot session going under the standard FreeBSD DVD using
> its so-called live CD function. However, I could only emerge --sync.
> Just trying to emerge portage caused all manner of grief.

What the error did you get? I cannot help you without any error output.

Two issues.

Robert Raitz
The first issue is a segfault when issuing startx. It looks like the segfault happens as dri2 is initializing.

I'm thinking I'm going to backtrack to xorg-server-1.7.7-r1, as I have a backup from this machine when it was running that version of xorg-server as well as KDE3. Considering that FreeBSD 9.0 is using that version, or close to it, it should work for me as well. Sure, I'll have to re-enable the hal USE flag, but I've done that before.

The second problem is a bit more perplexing. When trying to setup the cross-compiler for using distcc with the Gentoo/FBSD hybrid, things fail with freebsd-libs dying over lack of libutil.h. Here's the snippet from the log:

/var/tmp/portage/cross-i686-gentoo-freebsd9.0/freebsd-lib-8.2-r1/work/lib/libc/posix1e/extattr.c:37:21: fatal error: libutil.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
pmake: stopped in /var/tmp/portage/cross-i686-gentoo-freebsd9.0/freebsd-lib-8.2-r1/work/lib/libc
 * ERROR: cross-i686-gentoo-freebsd9.0/freebsd-lib-8.2-r1 failed (compile phase):
 *   make libc failed
 *
 * Call stack:
 *     ebuild.sh, line  93:  Called src_compile
 *   environment, line 2765:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *           $(freebsd_get_bmake) ${mymakeopts} || die "make libc failed";

When trying to get any freebsd-lib package to take, I run into them all NOT including the amd64 or ~amd-64 keywords. In other words, they are all keyword masked. I'd like to unmask, but I worry that I'll break the machine I'm using to cross-compile. I'd really rather not do that if at all possible. If I am to use the freebsd-lib version that goes with my hybrid, that version is keyword masked. As a matter of fact, it seems the only one I can get to take is
freebsd-lib-8.2-r1, and that's not the version I am running.

So, my question is, how to set up the cross-compiler such that it works, and doesn't break anything else? Do I have to redo the ebuilds to force things to work?

The xorg-server issue I'll deal with on my own. I just have to find the DVD with the last stage-4 I did with this machine in the older configuration, unless there are other suggestions for getting this version of xorg-server (1.13) to work..

Cheers,
Pappy

> I am just getting started on this project, and I've run into multiple
> snags.
>
> The first and worst is getting media that has a GUI to do the deed. My
> question is, since the wiki recommends using PCBSD, is the DVD live,
> or will I have to get a USB stick in order to have my live
> environment? I found a copy of the freesbie live CD after much
> searching, but it is just about as worthless a windows install disk. I
> can't get anything to function under it, even with the GUI.

DVD or USB here would work? ftp://ftp.pcbsd.org/pub/archived/8.1/amd64/
I'm not sure since I've never tried them.

> I did have a chroot session going under the standard FreeBSD DVD using
> its so-called live CD function. However, I could only emerge --sync.
> Just trying to emerge portage caused all manner of grief.

What the error did you get? I cannot help you without any error output.

Re: Two issues.

Yuta SATOH
Hi,

On Wed, 9 Jan 2013 02:28:37 -0800 (PST)
Robert Raitz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The first issue is a segfault when issuing startx.
> It looks like the segfault happens as dri2 is initializing.

Does this bug will not be helpful to you ?
https://bugs.gentoo.org/435648

> I'm thinking I'm going to backtrack to xorg-server-1.7.7-r1, as I have a
> backup from this machine when it was running that version of xorg-server
> as well as KDE3. Considering that FreeBSD 9.0 is using that version, or
> close to it, it should work for me as well. Sure, I'll have to re-enable
> the hal USE flag, but I've done that before.
>
> The second problem is a bit more perplexing. When trying to setup the
> cross-compiler for using distcc with the Gentoo/FBSD hybrid, things fail
> with freebsd-libs dying over lack of libutil.h. Here's the snippet from
> the log:
>
> /var/tmp/portage/cross-i686-gentoo-freebsd9.0/freebsd-lib-8.2-r1/work/lib/libc/posix1e/extattr.c:37:21: fatal error: libutil.h: No such file or directory
> compilation terminated.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> pmake: stopped in /var/tmp/portage/cross-i686-gentoo-freebsd9.0/freebsd-lib-8.2-r1/work/lib/libc
> ?* ERROR: cross-i686-gentoo-freebsd9.0/freebsd-lib-8.2-r1 failed (compile phase):
> ?*?? make libc failed
> ?*
> ?* Call stack:
> ?*???? ebuild.sh, line? 93:? Called src_compile
> ?*?? environment, line 2765:? Called die
> ?* The specific snippet of code:
> ?*?????????? $(freebsd_get_bmake) ${mymakeopts} || die "make libc failed";
>
> When trying to get any freebsd-lib package to take, I run into them all
> NOT including the amd64 or ~amd-64 keywords. In other words, they are
> all keyword masked. I'd like to unmask, but I worry that I'll break the
> machine I'm using to cross-compile. I'd really rather not do that if at
> all possible. If I am to use the freebsd-lib version that goes with my
> hybrid, that version is keyword masked. As a matter of fact, it seems
> the only one I can get to take is freebsd-lib-8.2-r1, and that's not the
> version I am running.
>
> So, my question is, how to set up the cross-compiler such that it works,
> and doesn't break anything else? Do I have to redo the ebuilds to force
> things to work?

Are you using crossdev ?
cross-*-freebsd-lib should automatically be unmasked by crossdev.

I have confirmed that cross compiler is completed on Gentoo/Linux amd64
in the next step.

1. emerge sys-devel/crossdev
2. cd /usr/portage/sys-freebsd/freebsd-lib
3. wget -O freebsd-lib-9.1_rc3-r1.ebuild \
"http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/gentoo-bsd.git;a=blob_plain;f=sys-freebsd/freebsd-lib/freebsd-lib-9.1_rc3-r1.ebuild;h=d4f4b85f9a07aa502b36678a756ca759def52d2a;hb=d92895be6230221821bc177e251139b5cad05155"
4. ebuild freebsd-lib-9.1_rc3-r1.ebuild digest
5. mkdir /etc/portage/package.keywords
6. echo 'sys-freebsd/freebsd-mk-defs ~amd64' >> /etc/portage/package.keywords/local
7. echo 'sys-apps/mtree ~amd64' >> /etc/portage/package.keywords/local
8. crossdev --g '>4.7' i686-gentoo-freebsd9.1

> The xorg-server issue I'll deal with on my own. I just have to find the
> DVD with the last stage-4 I did with this machine in the older
> configuration, unless there are other suggestions for getting this
> version of xorg-server (1.13) to work..
>
> Cheers,
> Pappy

Yuta SATOH

Re: Two issues.

Robert Raitz
As an update, I did get X to work. Yes, that was the bug. I am at xorg-server-1.11.4-ish, and I do have X. The problem is, I want xfce4, which means pango, which will not finish compilation.

Let me be a bit more specific. If I compile pango without the 'X' or 'introspection' USE flags, it will compile. As soon as either one is turned on, the compilation fails. That means no mousepad or leafpad, no thunar, not even my xscreensaver hacks. I have fvwm with xterm, lots of fonts, but nothing beyond having multiple terminal screens. Because it's currently a bit dumb, and on a hard drive that isn't this one, getting exact output is rough. I am most likely going to be putting it back into a chroot session.

I've seen that there are some freebsd bugs in bugzilla. Can I report that pango issue there, or should I post it somewhere else? Basically, what can be done to get me to a point where I can get my beastly penguin as usable as it's straight-up non-hybrid counterparts residing on this drive? Now that X is running, I find it a beastly tease to not allow xfce4, or anything other than fvwm or twm. Anyone who has gotten beyond that issue, please let me know what to do. I'm really hooked on getting it going fully. Apparently, KMS is coming soon for FreeBSD, and that's good for hybrid users, too. Probably even better for us.

Cheers,
Pappy

> [...]

in the next step.

1. emerge sys-devel/crossdev
2. cd /usr/portage/sys-freebsd/freebsd-lib
3. wget -O freebsd-lib-9.1_rc3-r1.ebuild \
"http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/gentoo-bsd.git;a=blob_plain;f=sys-freebsd/freebsd-lib/freebsd-lib-9.1_rc3-r1.ebuild;h=d4f4b85f9a07aa502b36678a756ca759def52d2a;hb=d92895be6230221821bc177e251139b5cad05155"
4. ebuild freebsd-lib-9.1_rc3-r1.ebuild digest
5. mkdir /etc/portage/package.keywords
6. echo 'sys-freebsd/freebsd-mk-defs ~amd64' >> /etc/portage/package.keywords/local
7. echo 'sys-apps/mtree ~amd64' >> /etc/portage/package.keywords/local
8. crossdev --g '>4.7' i686-gentoo-freebsd9.1

> The xorg-server issue I'll deal with on my own. I just have to find the
> DVD with the last stage-4 I did with this machine in the older
> configuration, unless there are other suggestions for getting this

Yuta SATOH

pango failure

Robert Raitz
I found there is a bug related to the issues I'm having with pango-1.30.1. If I emerge with USE='-X -introspection', it will compile. When either or both of the USE flags are turned on, then compilation fails. If anyone else has had that issue, and knows a way around it, please let me know.

I restarted my setup in a chroot session, and I want it to stay there until I can have xfce4, or a more usable X installation.

Cheers,
Pappy

Re: pango failure

Yuta SATOH
Hi,

On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 01:56:15 -0800 (PST)
Robert Raitz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I found there is a bug related to the issues I'm having with
> pango-1.30.1. If I emerge with USE='-X -introspection', it will compile.
> When either or both of the USE flags are turned on, then compilation
> fails. If anyone else has had that issue, and knows a way around it,
> please let me know.

I can not reproduce the issue pango.
Please report to Gentoo Bugzilla.

Please include the following in the report.

* emerge --info
* pango build logs

> I restarted my setup in a chroot session, and I want it to stay there
> until I can have xfce4, or a more usable X installation.
>
> Cheers,
> Pappy

Yuta SATOH

Re: pango failure