KDE 4.2.1 : beta is as beta does

Philip Webb-2
I got KDE 4.2.1 installed with only a couple of bugs along the way.
I'm not impressed: there's some eye-candy, but usability is reduced.
There's a very limited choice of desktop backgrounds:
I like the 'No picture, pavement' choice in 3.5.10 with different colors,
but there's nothing similar in 4.2.1 .
I did something unexpected & froze a new panel -- 1 CPU at 100 % --
& managed to get back to "normal" only by deleting ~/.kde4/share .
Dolphin is pathetic compared with Thunar, let alone Krusader
(I've never tried Konqueror as a file manager).
I can't try the new Gwenview, as some of the new files clash with the old
& I'm certainly not unmerging the KDE 3 version.

I've gone back to 3.5.10 more or less, but am stuck with 4.2.1's desktop:
the background, R-click menu & 4.2.1 panel are still there & working
(no, trying to change it with the 3.5.10 CC has no effect).
Can anyone suggest what I have to delete to get all of 3.5.10 restored ?

I have a lot of respect for KDE developers over the past few years,
but they've badly underestimated the size of their task for KDE 4 .

Perhaps I should try Xfce 4.6 with some KDE 4 apps ... (smile)

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca

Re: KDE 4.2.1 : beta is as beta does

Paul Hartman-3
On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Philip Webb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I got KDE 4.2.1 installed with only a couple of bugs along the way.
> I'm not impressed: there's some eye-candy, but usability is reduced.
> There's a very limited choice of desktop backgrounds:
> I like the 'No picture, pavement' choice in 3.5.10 with different colors,
> but there's nothing similar in 4.2.1 .
> I did something unexpected & froze a new panel -- 1 CPU at 100 % --
> & managed to get back to "normal" only by deleting ~/.kde4/share .
> Dolphin is pathetic compared with Thunar, let alone Krusader
> (I've never tried Konqueror as a file manager).
> I can't try the new Gwenview, as some of the new files clash with the old
> & I'm certainly not unmerging the KDE 3 version.
>
> I've gone back to 3.5.10 more or less, but am stuck with 4.2.1's desktop:
> the background, R-click menu & 4.2.1 panel are still there & working
> (no, trying to change it with the 3.5.10 CC has no effect).
> Can anyone suggest what I have to delete to get all of 3.5.10 restored ?
>
> I have a lot of respect for KDE developers over the past few years,
> but they've badly underestimated the size of their task for KDE 4 .
>
> Perhaps I should try Xfce 4.6 with some KDE 4 apps ... (smile)

I would suggest totally getting rid of everything KDE3 related before
trying to go KDE4... I also had lots of problems and conflicts with
both installed. Once I got rid of all traces of KDE3 and started
"fresh" with KDE4, it has been working well. I really didn't care for
the whole look and feel at first, but it has grown on me. Me, I set it
to random background every 10 minutes. Honestly the background is
rarely ever seen on my screen so it's not a big deal to me. I like
maximized windows. :) For the same reason I don't use the desktop
widgets at all, and I find dockable taskbar stuff from KDE3 to be more
useful... because a bunch of gigantic widgets on my desktop which are
always covered by windows seems totally stupid and useless to me.

Overall I think KDE3 was much faster in performance (probably lack of
3D effects) and more productive to use... I'm sticking with KDE4 for
now simply because it's the "new" thing... but there's no compelling
reason for me to use it instead of KDE3.

I don't use GUI filemanager so I have no opinion on dolphin. New
gwenview works fine for me, again I nuked the old stuff first. I
actually use gqview instead of gwenview, though.

KDE4 versions of k3b, digikam, k9copy, koffice all seem to work well for me.

The only app I am really disappointed with is Amarok 2. I really liked
Amarok 1 and they started over for Amarok 2 and I dislike just about
everything they've done to it. The tree-view collection list is
awful!!!!, the UI is bad (middle 50% of screen is wasted), playlist is
not intuitive. Does not support titles in cue files. The only thing
they've done better is Last.fm works better... but I am about [------]
this close to going back to Amarok 1 and taking on board the KDE3 libs
it brings with it.

090413 Paul Hartman wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Philip Webb <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I got KDE 4.2.1 installed with only a couple of bugs along the way.
>> I'm not impressed: there's some eye-candy, but usability is reduced.
> I would suggest totally getting rid of everything KDE3 related
> before trying to go KDE4. I also had lots of problems with both installed.

I'm much more likely to go the other way ... (smile)

> Honestly the background is rarely ever seen on my screen
> I like maximized windows.

Same here, but I keep a small slice visible on some desktops
-- I've had  10  for many years -- & it's all there on the  2  spares.

> Overall I think KDE3 was much faster in performance

Didn't I mention that too ... (grimace) ?

I also didn't mention that Kmahjongg 4.2.1 doesn't allow you
to edit the layout & its "traditional" tiles are ugly.
Nor is Okular a match for Kpdf 3.5.10 .

I tried (re)moving  .kderc  &  .kde4 , but it doesn't alter the background:
does anyone else have any suggestions how to restore the KDE 3 version ?

I'm quite willing to try new things, but KDE 4.2.1 is definitely a beta.

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 12:02 PM, Philip Webb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I also didn't mention that Kmahjongg 4.2.1 doesn't allow you
> to edit the layout & its "traditional" tiles are ugly.

Oh, I forgot about the games... Kolf is really really ugly now on
KDE4... they changed the colors for no apparent reason.

> Nor is Okular a match for Kpdf 3.5.10 .

Okular's CHM handling is terrible (unusable), kchmviewer was 1000x
better. I haven't had any issues with it and PDFs so far.

> I tried (re)moving  .kderc  &  .kde4 , but it doesn't alter the background:
> does anyone else have any suggestions how to restore the KDE 3 version ?

Did you use kdeprefix USE flag with kde4? I think it is required for
having multiple KDE versions... otherwise it all gets mixed together.
Also, I think there was some updated KDE 3.5.10 startup scripts at
some point that fixed KDE4 compatibility, possibly you had yours
installed before that. I could be wrong on that though since I
abandoned KDE3 before 3.5.10 arrived.

Re: KDE 4.2.1 : beta is as beta does

Dale-46
Paul Hartman wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Philip Webb <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I got KDE 4.2.1 installed with only a couple of bugs along the way.
>> I'm not impressed: there's some eye-candy, but usability is reduced.
>> There's a very limited choice of desktop backgrounds:
>> I like the 'No picture, pavement' choice in 3.5.10 with different colors,
>> but there's nothing similar in 4.2.1 .
>> I did something unexpected & froze a new panel -- 1 CPU at 100 % --
>> & managed to get back to "normal" only by deleting ~/.kde4/share .
>> Dolphin is pathetic compared with Thunar, let alone Krusader
>> (I've never tried Konqueror as a file manager).
>> I can't try the new Gwenview, as some of the new files clash with the old
>> & I'm certainly not unmerging the KDE 3 version.
>>
>> I've gone back to 3.5.10 more or less, but am stuck with 4.2.1's desktop:
>> the background, R-click menu & 4.2.1 panel are still there & working
>> (no, trying to change it with the 3.5.10 CC has no effect).
>> Can anyone suggest what I have to delete to get all of 3.5.10 restored ?
>>
>> I have a lot of respect for KDE developers over the past few years,
>> but they've badly underestimated the size of their task for KDE 4 .
>>
>> Perhaps I should try Xfce 4.6 with some KDE 4 apps ... (smile)
>>

> I would suggest totally getting rid of everything KDE3 related before
> trying to go KDE4... I also had lots of problems and conflicts with
> both installed. Once I got rid of all traces of KDE3 and started
> "fresh" with KDE4, it has been working well.

I suspect using the kdeprefix USE flag would fix a lot of that.

Dale

:-)  :-)

Re: KDE 4.2.1 : beta is as beta does

Nikos Chantziaras
Philip Webb wrote:
> I also didn't mention that Kmahjongg 4.2.1 doesn't allow you
> to edit the layout & its "traditional" tiles are ugly.

You can use the old version.

> Nor is Okular a match for Kpdf 3.5.10.

Okular is actually regarded as far better by almost everyone.

> I tried (re)moving  .kderc  &  .kde4 , but it doesn't alter the background:
> does anyone else have any suggestions how to restore the KDE 3 version ?

"Tiled" and "Center tiled" are probably what you want (the same as in
KDE 3 I think), but somehow they don't work here :P

> I'm quite willing to try new things, but KDE 4.2.1 is definitely a beta.

But a very good one, at least for me.  It has some features I want that
KDE 3 simply lacks (mainly plasmids, Vista-like desktop effects and
vastly better font rendering.)

Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> Philip Webb wrote:
>> I'm quite willing to try new things, but KDE 4.2.1 is definitely a beta.
>
> But a very good one, at least for me.  It has some features I want that
> KDE 3 simply lacks (mainly plasmids, Vista-like desktop effects and
> vastly better font rendering.)

I almost forgot the obvious; why are you on KDE 4.2.1 when the latest
version is 4.2.2 with lots of bugfixes?

Re: KDE 4.2.1 : the undead has been killed

Philip Webb-2
090413 Philip Webb wrote:
> I've found out how to fix it: something is starting Plasma,
> so Htop to the rescue ! -- kill Plasma & the hideous mask is removed
> -- it appears at the very end of the KDE start-up process --
> & the handsome KDE 3 desktop backgrounds reappear
> together with the desktop menus called up by mouse clicks.

I didn't find out what was starting Plasma, but I fixed it :
'cd /usr/bin; mv plasma plasma-aside'.  back to normal !
(clutches garlic, crucifix, incense ... )

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca

Re: KDE 4.2.1 : beta is as beta does

Alan McKinnon-2
On Monday 13 April 2009 19:02:06 Philip Webb wrote:
> I'm quite willing to try new things, but KDE 4.2.1 is definitely a beta.

It's more than that. It's an experimental approach to a new way of thinking
about desktops.

KDE-4 is NOT a "New! Improved! KDE-3.5.x". It's so different that still
calling it KDE is itself a point of confusion. But that's a different point
altogether (and the name is not likely to ever change).

To have the features and stability of KDE-3.5, one must run KDE-3.5. To move
from KDE-3.5 to KDE-4, one must ignore the superficial similarities (apps do
kinda look the same) and see the underlying truth - that migration requires as
much of a shift in your thinking as moving from KDE to Gnome or XFCE.

It's not so much that the KDE-4 code is a beta. The very ideas about how KDE-4
works at all are still in alpha. No-one knows the future and no-one knows what
users want from their computers in the future, so the KDE devs made a
considered best estimate about what would be useful in the future and built a
platform that will (hopefully) prove useful.

KDE-4 is scarcely a year old, it's a marvel that it works at all considering
the deep invasive changes that were necessary.

alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Re: Re: KDE 4.2.1 : beta is as beta does

Alan McKinnon-2
On Monday 13 April 2009 19:23:16 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> > Philip Webb wrote:
> >> I'm quite willing to try new things, but KDE 4.2.1 is definitely a beta.
> >
> > But a very good one, at least for me.  It has some features I want that
> > KDE 3 simply lacks (mainly plasmids, Vista-like desktop effects and
> > vastly better font rendering.)
>
> I almost forgot the obvious; why are you on KDE 4.2.1 when the latest
> version is 4.2.2 with lots of bugfixes?

4.2.2 just hit the tree very recently and as of yesterday is still
package.masked.

Perhaps you have been using the kde-testing overlay? It's been in there for a
while.

On Monday 13 April 2009 20:49:44 Philip Webb wrote:

> 090413 Philip Webb wrote:
> > I've found out how to fix it: something is starting Plasma,
> > so Htop to the rescue ! -- kill Plasma & the hideous mask is removed
> > -- it appears at the very end of the KDE start-up process --
> > & the handsome KDE 3 desktop backgrounds reappear
> > together with the desktop menus called up by mouse clicks.
>
> I didn't find out what was starting Plasma, but I fixed it :
> 'cd /usr/bin; mv plasma plasma-aside'.  back to normal !
> (clutches garlic, crucifix, incense ... )

Why invoke the supernatural when common logic is so superior?

emerge -C plasma
emerge --depclean

On Monday 13 April 2009 19:14:25 Dale wrote:
> Paul Hartman wrote:

> > I would suggest totally getting rid of everything KDE3 related before
> > trying to go KDE4... I also had lots of problems and conflicts with
> > both installed. Once I got rid of all traces of KDE3 and started
> > "fresh" with KDE4, it has been working well.
>
> I suspect using the kdeprefix USE flag would fix a lot of that.

No it won't. It just moves different things around in your PATH and you have
the same basic problem with problematic things having a different name.

USE="kdeprefix" will install KDE-4 into /usr/kde/<slot> just like 3.5 always
did. You still have to manipulate your PATH so that the install dir for the
version you are using comes before other versions and /usr/ itself.

USE="-kdeprefix" will install KDE-4 into /usr/ just like the vast majority of
apps in portage do. In this case you have to ensure that /usr/ is FIRST in
your PATH before other KDE slots (otherwise the loader will find the wrong
version of identically named KDE apps from other versions first). This
approach is sensible as it's a bit pointless having more than one KDE-4
version installed. How many bash versions do you have?

The kdeprefix USE flag is not the problem.
The handling of the PATH is the problem.

alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Re: KDE 4.2.1 : beta is as beta does

James-2
Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:

> It's more than that. It's an experimental approach to a new way of thinking
> about desktops.

Amen. Brah......

What I'm looking to do, is focus on voice interfaces to the desktop.

Most of my followers just want linux (naturarrly this means Gentoo
for me) to do mundane management tasks
for all sorts of little embedded devices.

Kinda like SCADA for controls, only extended to
usb and video and networked devices (avahi/zeroconf...)

Also, I'm looking to deploy video from h.264 based
cameras, as the background, whilst various amounts
of detail appear on top of the video, about the operations
of these aforementioned voice controlled devices.

QT4 is a HUGE enabler for this sort of thing.

> KDE-4 is scarcely a year old, it's a marvel that it works at all considering
> the deep invasive changes that were necessary.

Life is a beach, and then you marry one....

So long story short, for me, looking to the future,
I have no other choices but QT4 (now LGPL)
and therefore KDE 4 on the desktop....

I feel you pain, but the Long_View has pulled me over
to the (dark side) of KDE 4.....

hth,

James

On Monday 13 April 2009 22:36:19 James wrote:
> Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:
> > It's more than that. It's an experimental approach to a new way of
> > thinking about desktops.
>
> Amen. Brah......
>
> What I'm looking to do, is focus on voice interfaces to the desktop.

I'd like to see a working implementation of the interface in the "Minority
Report" movie. The tricky bit is how sore the user's arms get :-)

> Most of my followers just want linux (naturarrly this means Gentoo
> for me) to do mundane management tasks
> for all sorts of little embedded devices.
>
> Kinda like SCADA for controls, only extended to
> usb and video and networked devices (avahi/zeroconf...)
>

> Also, I'm looking to deploy video from h.264 based
> cameras, as the background, whilst various amounts
> of detail appear on top of the video, about the operations
> of these aforementioned voice controlled devices.

I'm thinking aircraft and BMW HUDs... how cool would that be?
Or thin, flexible, transparent displays as the middle layer in my helmet visor
hooked up to a rearward facing lipstick camera so I can see the twit behind me
in his SUV when I'm on my bike.

Futuristic perhaps, but when I read the lead KDE dev's blogs where they try to
answer the question "What's KDE-4 all about anyway?" I feel that they tried
hard to build a base where I could do something as outlandish as that if I
choose to.

> QT4 is a HUGE enabler for this sort of thing.
>
> > KDE-4 is scarcely a year old, it's a marvel that it works at all
> > considering the deep invasive changes that were necessary.
>
> Life is a beach, and then you marry one....
>
> So long story short, for me, looking to the future,
> I have no other choices but QT4 (now LGPL)
> and therefore KDE 4 on the desktop....

I dumped KDE-3 four years ago in favour of e17. Something about KDE-4 and Qt4
grabbed my attention - maybe it's just the scope and possibilities of it all,
and the sheer size of brass balls it takes to be the first to go that route
with a mainstream product. I admire guts and vision like that. So much so that
I haven't seriously used e17 for 8 months now and probably only built it
twice.

> I feel you pain, but the Long_View has pulled me over
> to the (dark side) of KDE 4.....

It's not all sunshine and roses :-)

There's that bloody cashew thing. And the stupid menu - lancelot works
smoother and better but is missing functionality. And the taskbar only
recently got two rows (better than one) but you can't have three. There's
still no obvious plasmoid for a QuickLaunch (I had to search for ages before I
found it). And the panel is still any colour you like as long as it's black.

But these are small issues and will be fixed in due course. Meanwhile, you can
rotate plasmoids on the desktop (my favourite showoff trick - use a digital
clock). Sure, it's a gimmick, but a useful one, and one that shows off the
kind of vision the KDE-4 lead devs had in mind

alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Re: KDE 4.2.1 : beta is as beta does

Paul Hartman-3
On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 11:28 AM, Paul Hartman
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> The only app I am really disappointed with is Amarok 2. I really liked
> Amarok 1 and they started over for Amarok 2 and I dislike just about
> everything they've done to it. The tree-view collection list is
> awful!!!!, the UI is bad (middle 50% of screen is wasted), playlist is
> not intuitive. Does not support titles in cue files. The only thing
> they've done better is Last.fm works better... but I am about [------]
> this close to going back to Amarok 1 and taking on board the KDE3 libs
> it brings with it.

One more big gripe about Amarok 2: it is a music player which cannot
play music CDs. What's up with that?

I just tried Amarok 2.1 and they haven't fixed anything... Something
as simple as loading an album into the playlist, with the tracks in
the proper order, is seemingly impossible. I am so frustrated with it.

Re: KDE 4.2.1 : beta is as beta does

James-2
Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I'm thinking aircraft and BMW HUDs... how cool would that be?
> Or thin, flexible, transparent displays as the middle layer in my helmet visor
> hooked up to a rearward facing lipstick camera so I can see the twit behind me
> in his SUV when I'm on my bike.

Kinda a neuralizer for
road rage
via the Sanquin_Penguin ?

> Futuristic perhaps, but when I read the lead KDE dev's blogs where they try to
> answer the question "What's KDE-4 all about anyway?" I feel that they tried
> hard to build a base where I could do something as outlandish as that if I
> choose to.

Yes,
Thats what folks do not get yet.
KDE4 is new and fragile. It's not
what KDE4 does (now) it's what it
can do as a platform for advanced
graphics and video (integration) rendering.
The KDE4 platform will allow
for awesome things to follow.

> It's not all sunshine and roses

For old guys like me, it was
'Guns and Roses'
till the singer lost all
his marbles...

> But these are small issues and will be fixed in due course. Meanwhile, you can
> rotate plasmoids on the desktop (my favourite showoff trick - use a digital
> clock). Sure, it's a gimmick, but a useful one, and one that shows off the
> kind of vision the KDE-4 lead devs had in mind

Is there a central repository for plasmoids? Or are you just
combing the net for them one at a time?

Cheap gimmickery will do for now.
Better stuff to follow.

OpenMoko cell phones have lots of embedded_gentoo folks
busy as a bee.

Wait till it's ready and the rank and file discover
embedded Gentoo (plus QT4) on their openmoko
cell phone....

We'll get lots of converts then to QT4.

Of coarse other gui software will run on embedded
gentoo on a openmoko cell phone, but QT4
is going to rule the roost, methinks. LGPL of QT4
will allow continued GPL goodies and lots of little companies
will be building devices and software, but, the prices
will be low and there will (hopefully) be a ocean
of small electronics companies building more embedded
linux based products. Forget GE and Siemens.....
Time of the little companies to prosper (me_hopes).

ciao,

James

On Tuesday 14 April 2009 02:19:47 Paul Hartman wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 11:28 AM, Paul Hartman
>
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > The only app I am really disappointed with is Amarok 2. I really liked
> > Amarok 1 and they started over for Amarok 2 and I dislike just about
> > everything they've done to it. The tree-view collection list is
> > awful!!!!, the UI is bad (middle 50% of screen is wasted), playlist is
> > not intuitive. Does not support titles in cue files. The only thing
> > they've done better is Last.fm works better... but I am about [------]
> > this close to going back to Amarok 1 and taking on board the KDE3 libs
> > it brings with it.
>
> One more big gripe about Amarok 2: it is a music player which cannot
> play music CDs. What's up with that?
>
> I just tried Amarok 2.1 and they haven't fixed anything... Something
> as simple as loading an album into the playlist, with the tracks in
> the proper order, is seemingly impossible. I am so frustrated with it.

I tried really hard to use Amarok 2 the way the developers intended. But I
failed. I couldn't really figure out what was the way they intended at all so
I had to guess. The final straws were:

- same as you - can't actually play anything except mp3/ogg
- interface designed by an idiot with half the real estate blank in the middle
- Tag editor simply does not work right. I can't edit an album, change the
name of the album and have it show up in all tracks.
- the final straw of the final straws was the idiocy about how the Amarok devs
think you should use mysql.

So Amarok is a project that seems to have lost it's focus, has no idea what
the project is even supposed to do, and is being coded by a bunch of fools who
have no idea. I went back to 1.4, masked everything >=1.5 and life is good
again. mpd is also worth a second look.

alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Re: KDE 4.2.1 : beta is as beta does

Roy Wright-2
Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 April 2009 02:19:47 Paul Hartman wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 11:28 AM, Paul Hartman
>>
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> The only app I am really disappointed with is Amarok 2.

Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't get Amarok 2...

Personally the change over to dolphin is disappointing.  So far I've
been able to mostly ignore it and use konqueror with one major
exception, fish and sftp no longer work in konqueror.  Only sftp works
in dolphin.  In the past (3.x), I always found fish to be bulletproof
while sftp occasionally would flake.

A minor gripe with Konsole is it not remembering the "Show in Menu"
setting for profiles.  Makes working with several custom profiles a pain.

On using the plasmoids on the desktop, dock the "Show Plasmoids Desktop"
plasmoid.  Basically one click and you have access to all your
plasmoids.  Almost as good as the mac...

One trick that I do with the plasmoids is place the CPU monitor on the
right edge of my screen, then when I place windows I leave about a half
inch uncovered on the right so I can see the most recent processor load.

Overall I'm liking KDE4.  Just need to get k3b ported over then I can
finally ditch kdelibs-3.5...

Have fun,
Roy

090414 Roy Wright wrote:
> the change over to dolphin is disappointing.
> So far I've been able to mostly ignore it and use konqueror
> with one major exception, fish and sftp no longer work in konqueror.
> Only sftp works in dolphin.  In the past (3.x),
> I always found fish bulletproof, while sftp occasionally would flake.

I use Krusader, which employs Fish very effectively.
I am very impressed with Thunar, the work of  1  man, Bernard Meurer
(it doesn't do Fish AFAIK, but more abilities are promised).

> A minor gripe with Konsole is it not remembering the "Show in Menu"
> setting for profiles.  Makes working with several custom profiles a pain.

Yes, that's another for my long list of complaints.
I have  4  Konsoles running, ordinary user, root, Mutt & Lynx:
each needs a different profile to get the correct colors & app restarted,
but I couldn't find out how to set up the profiles to achieve this.

> using plasmoids on the desktop, dock "Show Plasmoids Desktop" plasmoid.
> Basically one click and you have access to all your plasmoids.
> Almost as good as the Mac

I didn't get as far as plasmoids & it's many years since I used a Mac.

> One trick is place the CPU monitor plasmoid on the R edge of my screen,
> then leave c 0,5 in uncovered by windows to see the processor load.

I have Gkrellm running on Desktop 8 , which shows that very clearly.

I plan to remerge the 4.2.1 pkgs with USE="kdeprefix",
then test it a bit further to see how far I can fix its ugliness;
I didn't try out Kate or Konqueror yesterday, mb Okular cb set up better.
I've always been impressed by the KDE developers, esp with 3.5.x ,
& hope they will steadily restore its choices & taste by 4.3 or 4.4 .
Perhaps KDE is now where Xfce was with its 4.2 (2004: now 4.6).

On Tuesday 14 April 2009 08:56:51 Roy Wright wrote:

> Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > On Tuesday 14 April 2009 02:19:47 Paul Hartman wrote:

> Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't get Amarok 2...
>
> Personally the change over to dolphin is disappointing.  So far I've
> been able to mostly ignore it and use konqueror with one major
> exception, fish and sftp no longer work in konqueror.  Only sftp works
> in dolphin.  In the past (3.x), I always found fish to be bulletproof
> while sftp occasionally would flake.

I don't like dolphin either, it reminds me too much of Nautilus. But konqueror
is showing it's age, and as a browser it's now almost useless. It's JavaScript
is horribly broken and using flash is just too painful to contemplate.

> A minor gripe with Konsole is it not remembering the "Show in Menu"
> setting for profiles.  Makes working with several custom profiles a pain.
>
> On using the plasmoids on the desktop, dock the "Show Plasmoids Desktop"
> plasmoid.  Basically one click and you have access to all your
> plasmoids.  Almost as good as the mac...

I've had various "Uncover the Desktop" button/widget/plasmoids on my taskbar
permanently for at least 10 years now. Trouble is, I never ever use it in real
life :-)

> One trick that I do with the plasmoids is place the CPU monitor on the
> right edge of my screen, then when I place windows I leave about a half
> inch uncovered on the right so I can see the most recent processor load.

gkrellm is *excellent* at that, plus it's very frugal with it's screen real
estate.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

12