Killing Adobe Flash

Pavel Volkov
Is anyone able to run Gnash or Lightspark in Gentoo?
Now is the second time I tried it (because yesterday I noticed that Gnash performs not bad in another distro, Trisquel).
I'm on ~amd64. Both Gnash and Lightspark have similar problems in Firefox and Chromium. Youtube videos stop and twitch, sound is distorted and has noise.

Is anyone luckier than me in burying proprietary software?

Re: Killing Adobe Flash

Paul Hartman-3
On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 2:49 AM, Pavel Volkov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is anyone able to run Gnash or Lightspark in Gentoo?
> Now is the second time I tried it (because yesterday I noticed that Gnash
> performs not bad in another distro, Trisquel).
> I'm on ~amd64. Both Gnash and Lightspark have similar problems in Firefox
> and Chromium. Youtube videos stop and twitch, sound is distorted and has
> noise.
>
> Is anyone luckier than me in burying proprietary software?

For youtube you can enable HTML5 mode and avoid flash entirely for
many videos (but not all). Does not help with other sites but at least
it's something. :)

http://youtube.com/html5

Re: Killing Adobe Flash

tanstaafl-2
On 2013-08-06 10:12 AM, Paul Hartman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> For youtube you can enable HTML5 mode and avoid flash entirely for
> many videos (but not all). Does not help with other sites but at least
> it's something. :)
>
> http://youtube.com/html5

Interesting... if you do enable HTML5 mode, and still have Flash
installed, what happens? Is HTML5 'preferred'?

Re: Killing Adobe Flash

Paul Hartman-3
On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 9:20 AM, Tanstaafl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2013-08-06 10:12 AM, Paul Hartman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> For youtube you can enable HTML5 mode and avoid flash entirely for
>> many videos (but not all). Does not help with other sites but at least
>> it's something. :)
>>
>> http://youtube.com/html5
>

> Interesting... if you do enable HTML5 mode, and still have Flash installed,
> what happens? Is HTML5 'preferred'?

Yes, some older unpopular videos that were uploaded before HTML5
support was added might not support it, but otherwise most videos seem
to play using HTML5 instead of Flash once you've opted-in.

Re: Killing Adobe Flash

Michael Orlitzky-2
On 08/06/2013 10:24 AM, Paul Hartman wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 9:20 AM, Tanstaafl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 2013-08-06 10:12 AM, Paul Hartman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> For youtube you can enable HTML5 mode and avoid flash entirely for
>>> many videos (but not all). Does not help with other sites but at least
>>> it's something. :)
>>>
>>> http://youtube.com/html5
>>

>> Interesting... if you do enable HTML5 mode, and still have Flash installed,
>> what happens? Is HTML5 'preferred'?
>
> Yes, some older unpopular videos that were uploaded before HTML5
> support was added might not support it, but otherwise most videos seem
> to play using HTML5 instead of Flash once you've opted-in.

You're better off using media-video/get_flash_videos-9999 to download
these anyway. As long as you don't need flash for anything else, there's
a huge number of video sites supported.

With it downloaded, you can use e.g. mplayer to move around the file
like any other video. And when you're done, you can keep it.

Re: Killing Adobe Flash

Paul Hartman-3
On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 9:32 AM, Michael Orlitzky <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 08/06/2013 10:24 AM, Paul Hartman wrote:

>>> Interesting... if you do enable HTML5 mode, and still have Flash installed,
>>> what happens? Is HTML5 'preferred'?
>>
>> Yes, some older unpopular videos that were uploaded before HTML5
>> support was added might not support it, but otherwise most videos seem
>> to play using HTML5 instead of Flash once you've opted-in.
>>

> You're better off using media-video/get_flash_videos-9999 to download
> these anyway. As long as you don't need flash for anything else, there's
> a huge number of video sites supported.
>
> With it downloaded, you can use e.g. mplayer to move around the file
> like any other video. And when you're done, you can keep it.

net-misc/youtube-dl is another one that supports many sites and is
updated in portage quite often (to keep up with changes to the
websites).

Re: Killing Adobe Flash

Pavel Volkov
On Tuesday 06 August 2013 09:12:50 Paul Hartman wrote:
> For youtube you can enable HTML5 mode and avoid flash entirely for
> many videos (but not all). Does not help with other sites but at least
> it's something. :)
>
> http://youtube.com/html5

Yes, of course I enabled it years ago. I still need Flash on other websites
(not only videos, there are Flash applets that let you listen to a sound if
you click "Play" or something alike).
Youtube was just an example. Also, embedded Youtube videos are always Flash,
correct me if I'm wrong.

Re: Killing Adobe Flash

Nikos Chantziaras-2
On 06/08/13 17:37, Paul Hartman wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 9:32 AM, Michael Orlitzky <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Yes, some older unpopular videos that were uploaded before HTML5
>>> support was added might not support it, but otherwise most videos seem
>>> to play using HTML5 instead of Flash once you've opted-in.
>>
>> You're better off using media-video/get_flash_videos-9999 to download
>> these anyway. [...]
>>
> net-misc/youtube-dl is another one that supports many sites and is
> updated in portage quite often (to keep up with changes to the
> websites).

I usually just drag&drop or copy&paste the video URL into SMPlayer,
which them streams the video immediately, resulting in playback of
YouTube videos inside a proper media player.

Re: Killing Adobe Flash

hasufell
On 08/06/2013 06:19 PM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

> On 06/08/13 17:37, Paul Hartman wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 9:32 AM, Michael Orlitzky
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> You're better off using media-video/get_flash_videos-9999 to download
>>> these anyway. [...]
>>>
>> net-misc/youtube-dl is another one that supports many sites and is
>> updated in portage quite often (to keep up with changes to the
>> websites).
>
> I usually just drag&drop or copy&paste the video URL into SMPlayer,
> which them streams the video immediately, resulting in playback of
> YouTube videos inside a proper media player.

You can even use net-misc/youtube-viewer for that, either in console or
gui (gtk useflag).

And even more like net-misc/youtube-dl.

Re: Killing Adobe Flash

Nikos Chantziaras-2
On 06/08/13 19:23, hasufell wrote:

> On 08/06/2013 06:19 PM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>> On 06/08/13 17:37, Paul Hartman wrote:

>>> net-misc/youtube-dl is another one that supports many sites and is
>>> updated in portage quite often (to keep up with changes to the
>>> websites).
>>
>> I usually just drag&drop or copy&paste the video URL into SMPlayer,
>> which them streams the video immediately, resulting in playback of
>> YouTube videos inside a proper media player.
>
> You can even use net-misc/youtube-viewer for that, either in console or
> gui (gtk useflag).
>
> And even more like net-misc/youtube-dl.

SMPlayer has that built-in, actually. It uses a small piece of
YT-specific code from youtube-dl to get the actual video data URL, which
it also updates seperately (~/.config/smplayer/ytcode.script).

It also has a YouTube browser, but unfortunately, the Gentoo ebuild
doesn't install it.

Re: Killing Adobe Flash

Chris Stankevitz-2
On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 12:49 AM, Pavel Volkov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is anyone able to run Gnash or Lightspark in Gentoo?

I take my 64 bit gentoo laptop everywhere and have never installed
flash (or similar) on it.  I told youtube that I use HTML5 which gives
me access to ~33% of videos.  I use virtualbox to run a 32 bit xubuntu
that is used only to view webpages that demand flash.  I start it up
~once/week.

Chris