Local dictionary in KDE?

Abhay Kedia
Hello,

I would like to install a dictionary application in KDE that can be run
without using internet. Though Kdict is available but it requires me to have
a internet connection for its search; which I am unable to provide everytime.
I have found some other good apps like jdictionary but they also require
internet.

I want something that can be run without having access to net. Please help.

 Thanx in advance.
 Regards,

 Abhay

Re: Local dictionary in KDE?

Neil Bothwick
On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 03:56:57 +0530, abhay wrote:

> I would like to install a dictionary application in KDE that can be run
> without using internet. Though Kdict is available but it requires me to
> have a internet connection for its search; which I am unable to provide
> everytime.

You could install your own dictd server, it's in portage, and access it
with kdict.

--
Neil Bothwick

Beware of low-flying butterflies.

Re: Local dictionary in KDE?

Abhay Kedia
On Tuesday 15 Nov 2005 4:35 am, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> You could install your own dictd server, it's in portage, and access it
> with kdict.
Yeah that is an option but isn't there any single app that can handle. I am a
bit weary of configuring a dictd server.

If it is the only alternative then I will surely start to look for some
how-to's but I really wish there was some simple alternative.

Abhay

Re: Local dictionary in KDE?

Willie Wong
On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 11:34:22PM +0530, abhay wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 Nov 2005 4:35 am, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> > You could install your own dictd server, it's in portage, and access it
> > with kdict.
> Yeah that is an option but isn't there any single app that can handle. I am a
> bit weary of configuring a dictd server.
>
> If it is the only alternative then I will surely start to look for some
> how-to's but I really wish there was some simple alternative.

An option to skip installing dictd is to install the commandline
version of StarDict, http://sdcv.sourceforge.net/ Last I checked it is
not in portage. It doesn't really work like Kdict, but suits my needs
well enough.

I am a nobody
Nobody is perfect
Therefore, I am perfect.
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 3 days, 15:12

Re: Local dictionary in KDE?

Abhay Kedia
On Wednesday 16 Nov 2005 4:25 am, Willie Wong wrote:
> An option to skip installing dictd is to install the commandline
> version of StarDict, http://sdcv.sourceforge.net/ Last I checked it is
> not in portage. It doesn't really work like Kdict, but suits my needs
> well enough.
Ok so I installed sdcv but for every word I search the output is
"Nothing similar to <word>, sorry :("
Do I need to install something else as well? Also the download size is just
163KB and I seriously doubt that it contains dictionary files. What am I
doing wrong?

Abhay

Re: Local dictionary in KDE?

Holly Bostick
abhay schreef:

> On Wednesday 16 Nov 2005 4:25 am, Willie Wong wrote:
>
>> An option to skip installing dictd is to install the commandline
>> version of StarDict, http://sdcv.sourceforge.net/ Last I checked it
>> is not in portage. It doesn't really work like Kdict, but suits my
>> needs well enough.
>
> Ok so I installed sdcv but for every word I search the output is
> "Nothing similar to <word>, sorry :(" Do I need to install something
> else as well? Also the download size is just 163KB and I seriously
> doubt that it contains dictionary files. What am I doing wrong?
>
> Abhay

It would seem that you need some dictionaries:

From sdcv homepage:

> SDCV is simple, cross-platform text-base utility for work with
> dictionaries in StarDict's format.

This does not suggest that sdcv actutally *has* these dictionaries
contained within it. But likely whatever is missing can be found at the
stardict site

http://stardict.sourceforge.net/

Dictionaries would seem to be found at

http://stardict.sourceforge.net/Dictionaries.php

which at the top of the page has links to several sites containing
stardict dictionaries, and then the page itself gives instructions on
how to insert them into the program;

or perhaps /stardict-ed/ ,  a fork of stardict which is now known as
wisedict (found at http://wise.sourceforge.net/ )

> WiseDict is a computer dictionary based on StarDict

may also contain some dictionaries by default.

Hope this is helpful in some way.

Holly

Re: Local dictionary in KDE?

Uwe Thiem
On 16 November 2005 15:57, Holly Bostick wrote:

> abhay schreef:
> > On Wednesday 16 Nov 2005 4:25 am, Willie Wong wrote:
> >> An option to skip installing dictd is to install the commandline
> >> version of StarDict, http://sdcv.sourceforge.net/ Last I checked it
> >> is not in portage. It doesn't really work like Kdict, but suits my
> >> needs well enough.
> >
> > Ok so I installed sdcv but for every word I search the output is
> > "Nothing similar to <word>, sorry :(" Do I need to install something
> > else as well? Also the download size is just 163KB and I seriously
> > doubt that it contains dictionary files. What am I doing wrong?
> >
> > Abhay
>
> It would seem that you need some dictionaries:
>
> From sdcv homepage:
> > SDCV is simple, cross-platform text-base utility for work with
> > dictionaries in StarDict's format.
>
> This does not suggest that sdcv actutally *has* these dictionaries
> contained within it. But likely whatever is missing can be found at the
> stardict site

Stasrdict dictionaries actually are in portage.

Uwe

--
95% of all programmers rate themselves among the top 5% of all software
developers. - Linus Torvalds

http://www.uwix.iway.na (last updated: 20.06.2004)

Re: Local dictionary in KDE?

Bugzilla from volker.armin.hemmann@tu-clausthal.de
On Monday 14 November 2005 23:26, abhay wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to install a dictionary application in KDE that can be run
> without using internet. Though Kdict is available but it requires me to
> have a internet connection for its search; which I am unable to provide
> everytime. I have found some other good apps like jdictionary but they also
> require internet.
>
> I want something that can be run without having access to net. Please help.

something like ding maybe?

*  app-text/ding
      Latest version available: 1.4
      Latest version installed: 1.4
      Size of downloaded files: 2,271 kB
      Homepage:    http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~fri/ding/
itself

but I do not know, if there are other languages available.

Re: Local dictionary in KDE?

Abhay Kedia
On Wednesday 16 Nov 2005 7:27 pm, Holly Bostick wrote:
> This does not suggest that sdcv actutally *has* these dictionaries
> contained within it. But likely whatever is missing can be found at the
> stardict site
>
> http://stardict.sourceforge.net/
>
> Dictionaries would seem to be found at
>
> http://stardict.sourceforge.net/Dictionaries.php
Thanks alot for the links. That is exactly what I needed. I abandoned sdcv and
installed WiseDict instead. Installed gcide and wordnet dictionaries and now
WiseDict is sitting happily in the system tray monitoring my clipboard. It is
a wonderful application I must say.

Thanks once again.

Abhay