Meeting chair

Ulrich Mueller-2
As discussed in today's council meeting:
* council members will express their willingness to chair meetings

I would be available for this, in general. (Not for the next meeting
in August though, because I'll be absent until two days before the
meeting.)

Ulrich

Re: Meeting chair

Markos Chandras-2

Re: Meeting chair

Ulrich Mueller-2

> On 16.07.2011 11:14, Markos Chandras wrote:
>> I asked yesterday but I think I never got a reply. Which is the best way
>> to discuss such things? Is it ML or alias? Is there a rule on "which"
>> topics go public on ML and which stay private on alias?

> In the past the alias has been used for purely administrative stuff
> like this and actual content items on public ml (for example
> gentoo-project) so that developers/users can express their opinion.
> Like with gentoo-core I think we should avoid discussing technical
> issues etc. in private.

Right, the default should be to discuss things in public. There used
to be the gentoo-council list for this, but now I'm being told that it
shouldn't be used, but discussions should go to gentoo-project
instead.

IMHO this doesn't make much sense, as gentoo-project traditionally was
used for non-technical matters (in fact, its description still says
so). Looking into the archives, most topics on that list aren't
related to the council. I would much prefer if we had a dedicated
mailing list for actual council work, like discussion of our agenda
items. A dedicated council list would also make it easier to find
previous discussions.

So, can we please reconsider that previous council's decision? Please
put this point on the agenda of the next meeting.

Ulrich

Re: Re: Meeting chair

solar-4
On Sat, 2011-07-16 at 12:03 +0200, Ulrich Mueller wrote:

> > On 16.07.2011 11:14, Markos Chandras wrote:
> >> I asked yesterday but I think I never got a reply. Which is the best way
> >> to discuss such things? Is it ML or alias? Is there a rule on "which"
> >> topics go public on ML and which stay private on alias?
>
> > In the past the alias has been used for purely administrative stuff
> > like this and actual content items on public ml (for example
> > gentoo-project) so that developers/users can express their opinion.
> > Like with gentoo-core I think we should avoid discussing technical
> > issues etc. in private.
>
> Right, the default should be to discuss things in public. There used
> to be the gentoo-council list for this, but now I'm being told that it
> shouldn't be used, but discussions should go to gentoo-project
> instead.
>
> IMHO this doesn't make much sense, as gentoo-project traditionally was
> used for non-technical matters (in fact, its description still says
> so). Looking into the archives, most topics on that list aren't
> related to the council. I would much prefer if we had a dedicated
> mailing list for actual council work, like discussion of our agenda
> items. A dedicated council list would also make it easier to find
> previous discussions.

As a slacker of a developer and a former council member I fully support
the council having it's own mailing list and aliases. Please don't allow
them to force me to have to subscribe to yet another mailing list that I
have to filter the * out of just to get to the core of what I need to
know. Just have ppl try to CC: -project or the likes when fitting.

--
solar <[hidden email]>
Gentoo Linux