Mock up Linux bootstrap guide

Fabian Groffen-2
Hi all,

Without internet I have to change my focus of development, as not
everything is possible at the moment ;)

I quickly wrote an initial version of a Linux bootstrap guide.  It isn't
linked on the web yet, as I first would like to see some feedback on it.
I haven't tested it yet myself either.

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/bootstrap-linux.xml

The link will become available later, for now it's still 404

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Re: Mock up Linux bootstrap guide

Frank Groeneveld
The second header says: Bootstrapping on OS X
Other than that, it looks good to me (haven't really tested it..)

Frank

Op 7-sep-2007, om 18:07 heeft Fabian Groffen het volgende geschreven:

On 07-09-2007 19:29:41 +0200, Frank Groeneveld wrote:
> The second header says: Bootstrapping on OS X
> Other than that, it looks good to me (haven't really tested it..)

Thanks :)

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Re: Mock up Linux bootstrap guide

Elias Pipping-4
On Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 06:07:54PM +0200, Fabian Groffen wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Without internet I have to change my focus of development, as not
> everything is possible at the moment ;)
>
> I quickly wrote an initial version of a Linux bootstrap guide.  It isn't
> linked on the web yet, as I first would like to see some feedback on it.
> I haven't tested it yet myself either.
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/bootstrap-linux.xml
>
> The link will become available later, for now it's still 404
picky suggestions:
==================

( no, that's not valid sed syntax but i think it looks better than
  'replace ... with ...' )

> [..] such that source code can be compiled into workin executables.
s/workin/working

> The first step is to chose a path to install into.
s/chose/choose

> stored in the variable $EPREFIX.
s/$EPREFIX/EPREFIX

> [..] in your soon to be prefix to your PATH environment.
s/./:

> [..] You can skip bootstrapping python if you already have a working Python 2.4 in your path.
s/2.4/2.4 or better

> [..] Afterwards it will try to setup some sane defaults.
s/setup/set up

> Next, we emerge the bash shell and its dependency ncurses.
s/the bash shell/the bash

-- Elias

On 07-09-2007 20:23:45 +0200, Elias Pipping wrote:
> ( no, that's not valid sed syntax but i think it looks better than
>   'replace ... with ...' )
>

> > [..] such that source code can be compiled into workin executables.
> s/workin/working

Already tackled that one

> > The first step is to chose a path to install into.
> s/chose/choose
>
> > stored in the variable $EPREFIX.
> s/$EPREFIX/EPREFIX

Will try to make it consistent all over the place

> > [..] in your soon to be prefix to your PATH environment.
> s/./:

Taste/style

> > [..] You can skip bootstrapping python if you already have a working Python 2.4 in your path.
> s/2.4/2.4 or better
>
> > [..] Afterwards it will try to setup some sane defaults.
> s/setup/set up
>
> > Next, we emerge the bash shell and its dependency ncurses.
> s/the bash shell/the bash

The bash?

Either bash, or the bash shell, imo.

Thanks!

On Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 08:27:44PM +0200, Fabian Groffen wrote:
> On 07-09-2007 20:23:45 +0200, Elias Pipping wrote:
> >
> > > Next, we emerge the bash shell and its dependency ncurses.
> > s/the bash shell/the bash
>
> The bash?
>
> Either bash, or the bash shell, imo.

Make it 'bash' then, please ;)

( 'the BOURNE AGAIN SHELL shell' is just weird )

-- Elias

Re: Mock up Linux bootstrap guide

Bugzilla from rabbe@bahnhof.se
What a great initiative! At work I am using enterprise SUSE and Red Hat
machines that suffer from lack of Gentoo. I'll see if I can get Prefix
Gentoo up on any of them.

Rabbe Fogelholm, Sollentuna, Sweden

> Hi all,
>
> Without internet I have to change my focus of development, as not
> everything is possible at the moment ;)
>
> I quickly wrote an initial version of a Linux bootstrap guide.  It isn't
> linked on the web yet, as I first would like to see some feedback on it.
> I haven't tested it yet myself either.
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/bootstrap-linux.xml
>
> The link will become available later, for now it's still 404
>
> --
> Fabian Groffen
> Gentoo on a different level

Re: Mock up Linux bootstrap guide

Michael Haubenwallner
On Tue, 2007-09-11 at 14:24 +0200, [hidden email] wrote:
> What a great initiative! At work I am using enterprise SUSE and Red Hat
> machines that suffer from lack of Gentoo. I'll see if I can get Prefix
> Gentoo up on any of them.

For x86-linux as well as x86-solaris, using[1] eprefix-bootstrap[2]
through prefix-launcher[3] should work already.

Although prefix-launcher itself builds for ppc-aix, sparc-solaris,
hppa-hpux, ia64-hpux, x86-interix, amd64-linux (and maybe others) too,
the prefix-tree has not come that far yet ;)

Why prefix-launcher and/or eprefix-bootstrap ?

They do similar things as found in the guide[4], but more elaborate:

prefix-launcher installs the different cmdline tools, including wget,
GNU tar, GNU patch, gcc, python, bash as well as portage, but is able to
patch them, which is required for some platforms.

In the end it installs a script eprefix-bootstrap[4], which creates the
fully portage-managed prefix tree.

This is similar to what bootstrap-prefix.sh[5] is guided to do with
python into $EPREFIX/tmp.

eprefix-bootstrap then bootstraps your eprefix, including the last
'emerge -e world'.

[1] http://prefix-launcher.wiki.sourceforge.net/
[2] http://sourceforge.net/projects/prefix-launcher/
> > [3] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/bootstrap-linux.xml
[4] http://prefix-launcher.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/prefix-launcher/eprefix-bootstrap/trunk/eprefix-bootstrap?view=markup
[5] http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/alt/browser/trunk/prefix-overlay/scripts/bootstrap-prefix.sh

so long,
/haubi/

Re: Mock up Linux bootstrap guide

Bugzilla from rabbe@bahnhof.se
I decided to make a first shot in an up-to-date Gentoo Linux
environment; there couldn't be a friendlier environment could it? :-)

Things went fine up to the `emerge --oneshot gawk' step, where I got this:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/var/tmp/gentoo/usr/bin/emerge", line 12, in ?
    from emerge import *
  File "/var/tmp/gentoo/usr/lib/portage/pym/emerge/__init__.py", line
34, in ?
    from portage.const import NEWS_LIB_PATH, CACHE_PATH, PRIVATE_PATH
ImportError: No module named const

It seems that the preceding step, which emerges portage, has some
problem even though it finishes with a zero status.

--Rabbe Fogelholm

Michael Haubenwallner wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-09-11 at 14:24 +0200, [hidden email] wrote:
>> What a great initiative! At work I am using enterprise SUSE and Red Hat
>> machines that suffer from lack of Gentoo. I'll see if I can get Prefix
>> Gentoo up on any of them.
>
> For x86-linux as well as x86-solaris, using[1] eprefix-bootstrap[2]
> through prefix-launcher[3] should work already.
>
> Although prefix-launcher itself builds for ppc-aix, sparc-solaris,
> hppa-hpux, ia64-hpux, x86-interix, amd64-linux (and maybe others) too,
> the prefix-tree has not come that far yet ;)
>
> Why prefix-launcher and/or eprefix-bootstrap ?
>
> They do similar things as found in the guide[4], but more elaborate:
>
> prefix-launcher installs the different cmdline tools, including wget,
> GNU tar, GNU patch, gcc, python, bash as well as portage, but is able to
> patch them, which is required for some platforms.
>
> In the end it installs a script eprefix-bootstrap[4], which creates the
> fully portage-managed prefix tree.
>
> This is similar to what bootstrap-prefix.sh[5] is guided to do with
> python into $EPREFIX/tmp.
>
> eprefix-bootstrap then bootstraps your eprefix, including the last
> 'emerge -e world'.
>
> [1] http://prefix-launcher.wiki.sourceforge.net/
> [2] http://sourceforge.net/projects/prefix-launcher/
>>> [3] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/bootstrap-linux.xml
> [4] http://prefix-launcher.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/prefix-launcher/eprefix-bootstrap/trunk/eprefix-bootstrap?view=markup
> [5] http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/alt/browser/trunk/prefix-overlay/scripts/bootstrap-prefix.sh
>
> so long,
> /haubi/

Thanks for the links! I might try them out too; any way that works is a
good way.

--Rabbe Fogelholm

On 11-09-2007 23:05:56 +0200, Rabbe Fogelholm wrote:

> I decided to make a first shot in an up-to-date Gentoo Linux
> environment; there couldn't be a friendlier environment could it? :-)
>
> Things went fine up to the `emerge --oneshot gawk' step, where I got this:

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/var/tmp/gentoo/usr/bin/emerge", line 12, in ?
>     from emerge import *
>   File "/var/tmp/gentoo/usr/lib/portage/pym/emerge/__init__.py", line
> 34, in ?
>     from portage.const import NEWS_LIB_PATH, CACHE_PATH, PRIVATE_PATH
> ImportError: No module named const
>
> It seems that the preceding step, which emerges portage, has some
> problem even though it finishes with a zero status.

Hmmm.... looks like the install image has an older/wrong portage in it.
Can you find out what version of portage it has installed?

On Tue, 2007-09-11 at 23:05 +0200, Rabbe Fogelholm wrote:
> I decided to make a first shot in an up-to-date Gentoo Linux
> environment; there couldn't be a friendlier environment could it? :-)

Ehm, the risk that prefix-gentoo interferes with native-gentoo is much
higher than on non-gentoo linux, although I have prefix running on
native x86 gentoo.

It (specifically gcc fixincludes) doesn't work (yet) on x86_64-gentoo
with multilib enabled - haven't tried x86_64-redhat yet.

So if I just want to see how gentoo-alt/prefix works then I'd try with
non-gentoo.

OTOH, you're welcome as prefix-user/tester on native gentoo too! ;)

/haubi/

--

Salomon Automation GmbH - Friesachstrasse 15 - A-8114 Friesach bei Graz
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Friesach bei Graz

On 12-09-2007 11:39:09 +0200, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-09-11 at 23:05 +0200, Rabbe Fogelholm wrote:
> > I decided to make a first shot in an up-to-date Gentoo Linux
> > environment; there couldn't be a friendlier environment could it? :-)
>
> Ehm, the risk that prefix-gentoo interferes with native-gentoo is much
> higher than on non-gentoo linux, although I have prefix running on
> native x86 gentoo.

Valid point.  The risk of running prefix-gentoo on native-gentoo, is
that you don't notice prefix-gentoo actually being wrong, because the
non-prefixed components simply exists and are pretty good usable.

That said, prefix-gentoo should work fine (without conflicts also) on
native-gentoo, but I'll be the last one who tries it out, as I want to
be the first to hit an error in prefix-gentoo (and fix it).

Fabian Groffen wrote:

> On 11-09-2007 23:05:56 +0200, Rabbe Fogelholm wrote:
>> I decided to make a first shot in an up-to-date Gentoo Linux
>> environment; there couldn't be a friendlier environment could it? :-)
>>
>> Things went fine up to the `emerge --oneshot gawk' step, where I got this:

>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "/var/tmp/gentoo/usr/bin/emerge", line 12, in ?
>>     from emerge import *
>>   File "/var/tmp/gentoo/usr/lib/portage/pym/emerge/__init__.py", line
>> 34, in ?
>>     from portage.const import NEWS_LIB_PATH, CACHE_PATH, PRIVATE_PATH
>> ImportError: No module named const
>>
>> It seems that the preceding step, which emerges portage, has some
>> problem even though it finishes with a zero status.
>
> Hmmm.... looks like the install image has an older/wrong portage in it.
> Can you find out what version of portage it has installed?

I tried `emerge --version' in the EPREFIX, but that was broken too and
refused to say. The emerge.log had this though:

1189543663:  *** emerge --oneshot --nodeps portage
1189543664:  >>> emerge (1 of 1) sys-apps/portage-2.2.00.7595 to /
1189543664:  === (1 of 1) Cleaning
(sys-apps/portage-2.2.00.7595::/usr/tmp/gentoo/usr/portage/sys-apps/portage/portage-2.2.00.7595.ebuild)
1189543665:  === (1 of 1) Compiling/Merging
(sys-apps/portage-2.2.00.7595::/usr/tmp/gentoo/usr/portage/sys-apps/portage/portage-2.2.00.7595.ebuild)
1189543692:  >>> AUTOCLEAN: sys-apps/portage
1189543692:  --- AUTOCLEAN: Nothing unmerged.
1189543692:  === (1 of 1) Post-Build Cleaning
(sys-apps/portage-2.2.00.7595::/usr/tmp/gentoo/usr/portage/sys-apps/portage/portage-2.2.00.7595.ebuild)
1189543692:  ::: completed emerge (1 of 1) sys-apps/portage-2.2.00.7595 to /
1189543692:  *** Finished. Cleaning up...
1189543693:  *** exiting successfully.
1189543693:  *** terminating.

--Rabbe

On 12-09-2007 19:15:55 +0200, Rabbe Fogelholm wrote:
> > Hmmm.... looks like the install image has an older/wrong portage in it.
> > Can you find out what version of portage it has installed?
> >

> I tried `emerge --version' in the EPREFIX, but that was broken too and
> refused to say. The emerge.log had this though:
>
> 1189543692:  ::: completed emerge (1 of 1) sys-apps/portage-2.2.00.7595 to /

Portage 2.2.00.7724-prefix (default-prefix/darwin/macos/10.3, gcc-4.0.1,
unavailable, 7.9.0 Power Macintosh)

Hmmm... seems the snapshot should be updated, are you sure you use the
latest snapshot for your bootstrap?

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Re: Mock up Linux bootstrap guide

Bugzilla from rabbe@bahnhof.se
> On 12-09-2007 19:15:55 +0200, Rabbe Fogelholm wrote:
>> > Hmmm.... looks like the install image has an older/wrong portage in
>> it.
>> > Can you find out what version of portage it has installed?
>> >

>> I tried `emerge --version' in the EPREFIX, but that was broken too and
>> refused to say. The emerge.log had this though:
>>
>> 1189543692:  ::: completed emerge (1 of 1) sys-apps/portage-2.2.00.7595
>> to /
>
> Portage 2.2.00.7724-prefix (default-prefix/darwin/macos/10.3, gcc-4.0.1,
> unavailable, 7.9.0 Power Macintosh)
>
> Hmmm... seems the snapshot should be updated, are you sure you use the
> latest snapshot for your bootstrap?

Well, I don't do anything special to avoid the latest of everything. I
have more or less copypasted text from your webpage into a shellscript and
made sure that I start with an empty EPREFIX tree.

I can provide you with more details this evening (some 6 hours from now).

--Rabbe

[hidden email] wrote:

>>> it.
>>>>
>>> I tried `emerge --version' in the EPREFIX, but that was broken too and
>>> refused to say. The emerge.log had this though:
>>>
>>> 1189543692:  ::: completed emerge (1 of 1) sys-apps/portage-2.2.00.7595
>>> to /
>> Portage 2.2.00.7724-prefix (default-prefix/darwin/macos/10.3, gcc-4.0.1,
>> unavailable, 7.9.0 Power Macintosh)
>>
>> Hmmm... seems the snapshot should be updated, are you sure you use the
>> latest snapshot for your bootstrap?
>
> Well, I don't do anything special to avoid the latest of everything. I
> have more or less copypasted text from your webpage into a shellscript and
> made sure that I start with an empty EPREFIX tree.
>
> I can provide you with more details this evening (some 6 hours from now).
>
> --Rabbe

I re-ran my script some hour ago; same result. It would be good if
someone else would care to try and run it:

<http://wb748077.bahnhofbredband.se/prefix-gentoo/setup-prefix-on-gentoo.tar>

The script sets up everything in /var/tmp/g2, you can of course define a
 different place for the prefix tree.

For me the script fails at the "s54" step.

--Rabbe

Re: Mock up Linux bootstrap guide

Bugzilla from rabbe@bahnhof.se
> [hidden email] wrote:

>>> Portage 2.2.00.7724-prefix (default-prefix/darwin/macos/10.3,
>>> gcc-4.0.1,
>>> unavailable, 7.9.0 Power Macintosh)
>>>
>>> Hmmm... seems the snapshot should be updated, are you sure you use the
>>> latest snapshot for your bootstrap?
>>
>> Well, I don't do anything special to avoid the latest of everything. I
>> have more or less copypasted text from your webpage into a shellscript
>> and
>> made sure that I start with an empty EPREFIX tree.
>>
>> I can provide you with more details this evening (some 6 hours from
>> now).
>>
>> --Rabbe
>
> I re-ran my script some hour ago; same result. It would be good if
> someone else would care to try and run it:
>
> <http://wb748077.bahnhofbredband.se/prefix-gentoo/setup-prefix-on-gentoo.tar>
>
> The script sets up everything in /var/tmp/g2, you can of course define a
>  different place for the prefix tree.
>
> For me the script fails at the "s54" step.
>
> --Rabbe

I tried the same script on a different Gentoo machine, just in case .. but
I get the same failure.

The portage version that gets emerged just before things start to go wrong
is 2.2.00.7595. This is the highest version available in the /usr/portage
tree that the bootstrap sees. Is there any way that I could request a
higher version of /usr/portage, for example in the `./bootstrap-prefix.sh
$EPREFIX tree' step?

--Rabbe

On 14-09-2007 15:21:28 +0200, [hidden email] wrote:
> > I re-ran my script some hour ago; same result. It would be good if
> > someone else would care to try and run it:
> >
> > <http://wb748077.bahnhofbredband.se/prefix-gentoo/setup-prefix-on-gentoo.tar>
> >
> > The script sets up everything in /var/tmp/g2, you can of course define a
> >  different place for the prefix tree.
> >
> > For me the script fails at the "s54" step.
> I tried the same script on a different Gentoo machine, just in case .. but
> I get the same failure.
>
> The portage version that gets emerged just before things start to go wrong
> is 2.2.00.7595. This is the highest version available in the /usr/portage
> tree that the bootstrap sees. Is there any way that I could request a
> higher version of /usr/portage, for example in the `./bootstrap-prefix.sh
> $EPREFIX tree' step?

I guess I need to create a new tree snapshot.  However, a slight problem
here is that I don't have (internet) access for the machine(s) that are
setup to create such snapshot.

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Re: Mock up Linux bootstrap guide

Fabian Groffen-2
The portage version installed from the snapshot, is the same as the
portage version bootstrapped.   It looks like something else causes this
problem.

Some questions:
- output of
  % head -n1 $EPREFIX/usr/lib/portage/pym/emerge/__init__.py
- did you emerge python, or did you skip it?
- do you have a $EPREFIX/usr/lib/portage/pym/portage/const.py
- does this work?
  % python -c 'import portage.const ; print portage.const.EPREFIX'

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level