Modular xorg-x11 drivers

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Modular xorg-x11 drivers

Kurt V. Hindenburg
I gave the new modular xorg-x11 a try, any idea how to resolve this?

% X -configure

X Window System Version 7.0.0
Release Date: 21 December 2005
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 7.0
Build Operating System:Linux 2.6.16-rc5 sparc64
Current Operating System: Linux e3000 2.6.16-rc5 #8 SMP Sat Mar 11 21:50:30
EST 2006 sparc64
Build Date: 15 March 2006
        Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
        to make sure that you have the latest version.
Module Loader present
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
        (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Thu Mar 16 11:45:18 2006
List of video drivers:
        sunbw2
        sunffb
        sunleo
        suncg3
        suntcx
        suncg6
        suncg14
dlopen: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/sunffb_drv.so: undefined symbol:
cfbCopyPlane8to1
(EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/sunffb_drv.so
(EE) Failed to load module "sunffb" (loader failed, 7)
(++) Using config file: "/root/xorg.conf.new"
--
[hidden email] mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Modular xorg-x11 drivers

Ferris McCormick
On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 11:46 -0500, Kurt V. Hindenburg wrote:

> I gave the new modular xorg-x11 a try, any idea how to resolve this?
>
> % X -configure
>
> X Window System Version 7.0.0
> Release Date: 21 December 2005
> X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 7.0
> Build Operating System:Linux 2.6.16-rc5 sparc64
> Current Operating System: Linux e3000 2.6.16-rc5 #8 SMP Sat Mar 11 21:50:30
> EST 2006 sparc64
> Build Date: 15 March 2006
>         Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
>         to make sure that you have the latest version.
> Module Loader present
> Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
>         (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
>         (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
> (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Thu Mar 16 11:45:18 2006
> List of video drivers:
>         sunbw2
>         sunffb
>         sunleo
>         suncg3
>         suntcx
>         suncg6
>         suncg14
> dlopen: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/sunffb_drv.so: undefined symbol:
> cfbCopyPlane8to1
> (EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/sunffb_drv.so
> (EE) Failed to load module "sunffb" (loader failed, 7)
> (++) Using config file: "/root/xorg.conf.new"
You must also:
Load "cfb"
Load "cfb32"
in your xorg.conf file.

Regards,

--
Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <[hidden email]>
Developer, Gentoo Linux (Sparc, Devrel)

signature.asc (207 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Modular xorg-x11 drivers

Kurt V. Hindenburg
On Thursday 16 March 2006 12:14, Ferris McCormick wrote:
| On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 11:46 -0500, Kurt V. Hindenburg wrote:
| > I gave the new modular xorg-x11 a try, any idea how to resolve this?
| >
| > % X -configure
| >
| > X Window System Version 7.0.0
| > Release Date: 21 December 2005
| > X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 7.0
| > Build Operating System:Linux 2.6.16-rc5 sparc64
| > Current Operating System: Linux e3000 2.6.16-rc5 #8 SMP Sat Mar 11
| > 21:50:30 EST 2006 sparc64
| > Build Date: 15 March 2006
| >         Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
| >         to make sure that you have the latest version.
| > Module Loader present
| > Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
| >         (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
| >         (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
| > (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Thu Mar 16 11:45:18 2006
| > List of video drivers:
| >         sunbw2
| >         sunffb
| >         sunleo
| >         suncg3
| >         suntcx
| >         suncg6
| >         suncg14
| > dlopen: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/sunffb_drv.so: undefined symbol:
| > cfbCopyPlane8to1
| > (EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/sunffb_drv.so
| > (EE) Failed to load module "sunffb" (loader failed, 7)
| > (++) Using config file: "/root/xorg.conf.new"
|
| You must also:
| Load "cfb"
| Load "cfb32"
| in your xorg.conf file.
|
Thanks, that fixed that issue.  Now when I try X -config xorg.conf.new -depth
8 my system locks up... monitor sleeps and ssh dies... have to turn it off.
Not good, anyway I was just trying to see what X would look like on this
system  :-(
  Regards,
   Kurt

--
[hidden email] mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Modular xorg-x11 drivers

Ferris McCormick
On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 14:34 -0500, Kurt V. Hindenburg wrote:

> On Thursday 16 March 2006 12:14, Ferris McCormick wrote:
> | On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 11:46 -0500, Kurt V. Hindenburg wrote:
> | > I gave the new modular xorg-x11 a try, any idea how to resolve this?
> | >
> | > % X -configure
> | >
> | > X Window System Version 7.0.0
> | > Release Date: 21 December 2005
> | > X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 7.0
> | > Build Operating System:Linux 2.6.16-rc5 sparc64
> | > Current Operating System: Linux e3000 2.6.16-rc5 #8 SMP Sat Mar 11
> | > 21:50:30 EST 2006 sparc64
> | > Build Date: 15 March 2006
> | >         Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
> | >         to make sure that you have the latest version.
> | > Module Loader present
> | > Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
> | >         (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
> | >         (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
> | > (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Thu Mar 16 11:45:18 2006
> | > List of video drivers:
> | >         sunbw2
> | >         sunffb
> | >         sunleo
> | >         suncg3
> | >         suntcx
> | >         suncg6
> | >         suncg14
> | > dlopen: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/sunffb_drv.so: undefined symbol:
> | > cfbCopyPlane8to1
> | > (EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/sunffb_drv.so
> | > (EE) Failed to load module "sunffb" (loader failed, 7)
> | > (++) Using config file: "/root/xorg.conf.new"
> |
> | You must also:
> | Load "cfb"
> | Load "cfb32"
> | in your xorg.conf file.
> |
> Thanks, that fixed that issue.  Now when I try X -config xorg.conf.new -depth
> 8 my system locks up... monitor sleeps and ssh dies... have to turn it off.
> Not good, anyway I was just trying to see what X would look like on this
> system  :-(
>   Regards,
>    Kurt
Only possible depth with sunffb is 24.  What is your video card?
>
--
Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <[hidden email]>
Developer, Gentoo Linux (Sparc, Devrel)

signature.asc (207 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Modular xorg-x11 drivers

Kurt V. Hindenburg
On Thursday 16 March 2006 14:51, Ferris McCormick wrote:
|
| Only possible depth with sunffb is 24.  What is your video card?

I could be going about this all wrong...

dmesg shows cg6: CGsix [TGX+ sparc]

% X -config ./xorg.conf.new -depth 24

X Window System Version 7.0.0
Release Date: 21 December 2005
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 7.0
Build Operating System:Linux 2.6.16-rc5 sparc64
Current Operating System: Linux  2.6.16-rc5 #8 SMP Sat Mar 11 21:50:30 EST
2006 sparc64
Build Date: 15 March 2006
        Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
        to make sure that you have the latest version.
Module Loader present
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
        (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Thu Mar 16 23:50:56 2006
(++) Using config file: "./xorg.conf.new"
(EE) SUNCG6(0): Driver can't support depth 24
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
--
[hidden email] mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Modular xorg-x11 drivers

Ferris McCormick
On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 23:52 -0500, Kurt V. Hindenburg wrote:

> On Thursday 16 March 2006 14:51, Ferris McCormick wrote:
> |
> | Only possible depth with sunffb is 24.  What is your video card?
>
> I could be going about this all wrong...
>
> dmesg shows cg6: CGsix [TGX+ sparc]
>
> % X -config ./xorg.conf.new -depth 24
>
> X Window System Version 7.0.0
> Release Date: 21 December 2005
> X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 7.0
> Build Operating System:Linux 2.6.16-rc5 sparc64
> Current Operating System: Linux  2.6.16-rc5 #8 SMP Sat Mar 11 21:50:30 EST
> 2006 sparc64
> Build Date: 15 March 2006
>         Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
>         to make sure that you have the latest version.
> Module Loader present
> Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
>         (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
>         (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
> (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Thu Mar 16 23:50:56 2006
> (++) Using config file: "./xorg.conf.new"
> (EE) SUNCG6(0): Driver can't support depth 24
> (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
OK.  cg6 wants depth=8.  And please take sunffb or other drivers out of
your xorg.conf file.  You really don't want to load them.  cg6 does
require the cfb modules, so leave them.  With that, cg6 is not hard to
configure, because if I recall correctly, it ignores most options except
for dpms.  If you still have problems, please provide some further
details:  What system are you on, what is your monitor, etc.  I know
that cg6 works with xorg-6.8.2, but I haven't checked it for X-modular
(xorg-x11-7.0-rxx).

Regards,
--
Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <[hidden email]>
Developer, Gentoo Linux (Sparc, Devrel)

signature.asc (207 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Modular xorg-x11 drivers

Kurt V. Hindenburg
On Friday 17 March 2006 07:46, Ferris McCormick wrote:
| OK.  cg6 wants depth=8.  And please take sunffb or other drivers out of
| your xorg.conf file.  You really don't want to load them.  cg6 does
| require the cfb modules, so leave them.  With that, cg6 is not hard to
| configure, because if I recall correctly, it ignores most options except
| for dpms.  If you still have problems, please provide some further
| details:  What system are you on, what is your monitor, etc.  I know
| that cg6 works with xorg-6.8.2, but I haven't checked it for X-modular
| (xorg-x11-7.0-rxx).
Hmm, well testing this is getting hairy... it locks up my system and I have to
turn it off... then manually fsck... not nice... in no way should X every
lock up the entire system...
Perhaps my kernel is not setup correct?!?
I tested changing some things in the xorg.conf, but nothing changed.

I'm open to suggestions... esp how to test this w/o locking up my system.

  Kurt

xorg.conf.new (2K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Modular xorg-x11 drivers

Ferris McCormick
On Fri, 2006-03-17 at 14:00 -0500, Kurt V. Hindenburg wrote:

> On Friday 17 March 2006 07:46, Ferris McCormick wrote:
> | OK.  cg6 wants depth=8.  And please take sunffb or other drivers out of
> | your xorg.conf file.  You really don't want to load them.  cg6 does
> | require the cfb modules, so leave them.  With that, cg6 is not hard to
> | configure, because if I recall correctly, it ignores most options except
> | for dpms.  If you still have problems, please provide some further
> | details:  What system are you on, what is your monitor, etc.  I know
> | that cg6 works with xorg-6.8.2, but I haven't checked it for X-modular
> | (xorg-x11-7.0-rxx).
> Hmm, well testing this is getting hairy... it locks up my system and I have to
> turn it off... then manually fsck... not nice... in no way should X every
> lock up the entire system...
> Perhaps my kernel is not setup correct?!?
> I tested changing some things in the xorg.conf, but nothing changed.
>
> I'm open to suggestions... esp how to test this w/o locking up my system.
>
What IS your system?  And what is your monitor?  I have attached a
working xorg.conf for an SS20/cg6 system running a 2.4 kernel.

>   Kurt
Regards,
Ferris
--
Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <[hidden email]>
Developer, Gentoo Linux (Devrel, Sparc)


# Created by hand, mostly

Section "ServerLayout"
  Identifier    "Modified_for_4.3.3-r2"
  Screen         0 "Screen0" 0 0
  InputDevice   "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
  InputDevice   "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
  Option "HandleSpecialKeys" "Always"
  Option "DontVTSwitch" "off"
EndSection

Section "Files"
  RgbPath       "/usr/lib/X11/rgb-local"
  ModulePath    "/usr/lib/modules"
  FontPath      "/usr/share/fonts/misc:unscaled"
  FontPath      "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi:unscaled"
  FontPath      "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi:unscaled"
  FontPath      "/usr/share/fonts/misc"
  FontPath      "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi"
  FontPath      "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi"
  FontPath      "/usr/share/fonts/cyrillic"
  FontPath      "/usr/share/fonts/truetype"
  FontPath      "/usr/share/fonts/CID"
  FontPath      "/usr/share/fonts/TTF"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
  Option "StandbyTime" "10"
  Option "SuspendTime" "20"
  Option "OffTime" "30"
  Option        "AllowMouseOpenFail"  "true"
EndSection
       
Section "Module"
  Load  "dbe"
  Load  "type1"
  Load  "drm"
  Load  "dri"
  Load  "glx"
  Load  "freetype"
  Load  "record"
  Load  "extmod"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
  Identifier  "Keyboard0"
  Driver      "keyboard"
  Option      "Protocol"    "Standard"
  Option      "XkbKeycodes" "sun(type5)"
  Option      "XkbModel"    "type5"
  Option      "XkbRules"    "sun"
  # Option      "XkbLayout"   "us"
  Option      "XkbLayout"   "en_US"
  Option      "XkbGeometry" "sun(type5)"
  # Option      "XkbSymbols"  "sun/us(sun5)"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
  Identifier  "Mouse0"
  Driver      "mouse"
  Option      "Protocol" "MouseSystems"
  Option      "Device" "/dev/sunmouse"
  Option "Emulate3Buttons" "false"
  Option        "Buttons" "3"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
  Identifier   "Monitor0"
  VendorName   "Sony"
  ModelName    "GDM-20E20"
  ## Monitor Specs say...
  # HorizSync    30-81
  # VertRefresh  56-85
  ## Monitor Docs say Sun does this,
  ## HorizSync 81.129
  ## VertRefresh 76.106
  ## Monitor says this is what it's really doing
  # HorizSync 63.8
  # VertRefresh 59.9
  Option       "DPMS" "on"
  # Option "XFree86-DRI" "on"
EndSection

Section "Device"
  Identifier  "Card0"
  BoardName   "Sun|CG6"
  VendorName  "Sun Microsystems"
  Driver      "suncg6"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
  Identifier   "Screen0"
  Device       "Card0"
  Monitor      "Monitor0"
  DefaultDepth 8
  SubSection   "Display"
        Depth     1
  EndSubSection
  SubSection   "Display"
        Depth     4
  EndSubSection
  SubSection   "Display"
        Depth     8
        # Visual  "TrueColor"
        Visual  "PseudoColor"
  EndSubSection
  SubSection   "Display"
        Depth     15
  EndSubSection
  SubSection   "Display"
        Depth     16
  EndSubSection
  SubSection   "Display"
        Depth     24
# Modes  "800x600" 640x480" "1280x1024"
  EndSubSection
  SubSection   "Display"
        Depth     32
  EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "DRI"
 Group "video"
 Mode 0666
EndSection


signature.asc (207 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Modular xorg-x11 drivers

Kurt V. Hindenburg
On Friday 17 March 2006 15:07, Ferris McCormick wrote:
| What IS your system?  And what is your monitor?  I have attached a
| working xorg.conf for an SS20/cg6 system running a 2.4 kernel.

That didn't work.  I'm running a 2.6 kernel.  Machine is an E3000.

[    0.000000] PROMLIB: Sun IEEE Boot Prom 3.2.30 2002/10/25 14:03
[    0.000000] Linux version 2.6.16-rc5 (root@e3000) (gcc version 3.4.5
(Gentoo
 Linux 3.4.5)) #8 SMP Sat Mar 11 21:50:30 EST 2006
[    0.000000] ARCH: SUN4U

[    3.870286] cg6: CGsix [TGX+ sparc] at 1c7:0


   Kurt
--
[hidden email] mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Modular xorg-x11 drivers

Ferris McCormick
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006, Kurt V. Hindenburg wrote:

> On Friday 17 March 2006 15:07, Ferris McCormick wrote:
> | What IS your system?  And what is your monitor?  I have attached a
> | working xorg.conf for an SS20/cg6 system running a 2.4 kernel.
>
> That didn't work.  I'm running a 2.6 kernel.  Machine is an E3000.
>
> [    0.000000] PROMLIB: Sun IEEE Boot Prom 3.2.30 2002/10/25 14:03
> [    0.000000] Linux version 2.6.16-rc5 (root@e3000) (gcc version 3.4.5
> (Gentoo
> Linux 3.4.5)) #8 SMP Sat Mar 11 21:50:30 EST 2006
> [    0.000000] ARCH: SUN4U
>
> [    3.870286] cg6: CGsix [TGX+ sparc] at 1c7:0
>
>
>   Kurt
> --
> [hidden email] mailing list
>
>
I realize that I just went through something similar (on a non-sparc
system).  Try something simple:  Copy your xorg.conf.new to
/etc/X11/xorg.conf and just try 'xinit'.  If you have a sun keyboard, you
might want to make sure the keyboard definition is similar to this:
======================
Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier  "Keyboard0"
   Driver      "kbd"
#  Option      "Protocol"    "Standard"
   Option      "XkbModel"    "type5"
   Option      "XkbRules"    "xorg"
    Option      "XkbLayout"   "us"
EndSection
=====================================
(I think X -config xorg.conf.new can only give you a black screen, because
it has no applications to run.  Please also check /var/log/Xorg.0.log for
errors.  Using xinit should give you an xterm on a black screen, assuming
you have built xterm.)

Regards,
Ferris

- --
Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <[hidden email]>
Developer, Gentoo Linux (Devrel, Sparc)
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.2.2-ecc0.1.6 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFEG/a+Qa6M3+I///cRAomKAJ9+ybMEZ0GfywpvFdyci/AXrnhsmgCgkJTs
K+QTQO9EPGQiMcDE3O0QpB0=
=0j6M
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
--
[hidden email] mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Modular xorg-x11 drivers

Kurt V. Hindenburg
On Saturday 18 March 2006 07:02, Ferris McCormick wrote:
| =====================================
| (I think X -config xorg.conf.new can only give you a black screen, because
| it has no applications to run.  Please also check /var/log/Xorg.0.log for
| errors.  Using xinit should give you an xterm on a black screen, assuming
| you have built xterm.)

It is not giving me a black screen, it is crashing my entire system.  :-(
Your suggestion didn't work... something is quite wrong.  /var/log/Xorg.0.log
is empty which is strange.  Nothing in /var/log/messages.
  Thanks for you help though,
     Kurt
--
[hidden email] mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Modular xorg-x11 drivers

Kurt V. Hindenburg
In reply to this post by Ferris McCormick

To recap:
  With kernel 2.6.16, the suncg6 does not work with either xorg-x11 6.8.x nor
7.0.x.
 With kernel  2.4.32-sparc, suncg6 works with both versions of xorg.

So I'll stick with 2.4.x kernel for now.

  Thanks for the help,
       Kurt
--
[hidden email] mailing list