Moving from old udev to eudev

1234 ... 6

Moving from old udev to eudev

tanstaafl-2
Hi all,

Ok, rehashing this, but please don't turn it into another udev vs
systemd thread.

I have an older server that I have been putting off this update,
debating on whether to update to the regular udev, or to eudev.

I've googled until my fingers are blue, but cannot for the life of me
find any explicit instructions for *how* to switch from udev to eudev.

The eudev project page is sparse, to say the least.

Anyone?

Re: Moving from old udev to eudev

Paul Hartman-3
On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 11:28 AM, Tanstaafl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Ok, rehashing this, but please don't turn it into another udev vs systemd
> thread.
>
> I have an older server that I have been putting off this update, debating on
> whether to update to the regular udev, or to eudev.
>
> I've googled until my fingers are blue, but cannot for the life of me find
> any explicit instructions for *how* to switch from udev to eudev.
>
> The eudev project page is sparse, to say the least.
>
> Anyone?

(I haven't done it myself, but...) I assume one would simply unmerge
sys-fs/udev and emerge sys-fs/eudev and then do any configuration file
changes necessary. virtual/udev covers the possibility of using either
package. Unless you're asking more about the configuration changes
themselves, in which case I have no idea.

On 2013-08-01 12:28 PM, Tanstaafl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have an older server that I have been putting off this update,
> debating on whether to update to the regular udev, or to eudev.

Neglected to mention, it is still running 171-r10

Re: Moving from old udev to eudev

Marc Stuermer
Am 01.08.2013 18:28, schrieb Tanstaafl:
> I have an older server that I have been putting off this update,
> debating on whether to update to the regular udev, or to eudev.
>
> I've googled until my fingers are blue, but cannot for the life of me
> find any explicit instructions for *how* to switch from udev to eudev.

Well I also upgraded recently my system to udev 200.

I still have got though the old interface names. This turned out pretty
easy to achieve.

Just boot your kernel with the following parameter:

net.ifnames=0

(tell LILO/GRUB to do so)

and you won't get any of those predictable network interface names AND
running udev 200, it will still use your old established interface names.

Am 01.08.2013 19:16, schrieb Marc Stürmer:

> net.ifnames=0

Worked like a charm to me.

Forgot to mention the more thorough documentation though, so here it is:

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/

http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Udev/upgrade

You should read at last the latter from the official wiki.

Re: Moving from old udev to eudev

Pavel Volkov
On Thursday 01 August 2013 12:28:38 Tanstaafl wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Ok, rehashing this, but please don't turn it into another udev vs
> systemd thread.
>
> I have an older server that I have been putting off this update,
> debating on whether to update to the regular udev, or to eudev.
>
> I've googled until my fingers are blue, but cannot for the life of me
> find any explicit instructions for *how* to switch from udev to eudev.
>
> The eudev project page is sparse, to say the least.
>
> Anyone?

Maybe just mask sys-fs/udev?
Then sys-fs/eudev will be pulled by virtual/udev, probably.

Re: Moving from old udev to eudev

Neil Bothwick
On Thu, 01 Aug 2013 12:28:38 -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:

> I've googled until my fingers are blue, but cannot for the life of me
> find any explicit instructions for *how* to switch from udev to eudev.

emerge -Ca udev
emerge -1a eudev

But there's not a lot of point as eudev isn't that different to udev now,
AFAICT, and a recent update forced me to switch back to udev because
eudev hadn't been updated (on ~amd64).

--
Neil Bothwick

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Re: Moving from old udev to eudev

Dale-46
Tanstaafl wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Ok, rehashing this, but please don't turn it into another udev vs
> systemd thread.
>
> I have an older server that I have been putting off this update,
> debating on whether to update to the regular udev, or to eudev.
>
> I've googled until my fingers are blue, but cannot for the life of me
> find any explicit instructions for *how* to switch from udev to eudev.
>
> The eudev project page is sparse, to say the least.
>
> Anyone?

I switched when it was still fresh and it wasn't to bad from what I
recall.  Just emerge -C udev and emerge eudev.  I think I masked udev to
make sure it didn't get pulled in any more by something else but other
than that, it just worked.

I would recommend going to boot runlevel and restarting udev after the
switch tho, just to be sure it restarts OK.

Oh, the init script is still called udev not eudev.

Dale

:-)  :-)

On 2013-08-01 4:04 PM, Dale <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I switched when it was still fresh and it wasn't to bad from what I
> recall.  Just emerge -C udev and emerge eudev.  I think I masked udev to
> make sure it didn't get pulled in any more by something else but other
> than that, it just worked.
>
> I would recommend going to boot runlevel and restarting udev after the
> switch tho, just to be sure it restarts OK.
>
> Oh, the init script is still called udev not eudev.

Thanks Dale.

Hmmm... so, do I have to do any of the things recommended if updating to
the new version of udev?

Ie:

Remove the udev-postmount init script

Make sure CONFIG_DEVTMPFS=y is set in the kernel configuration

etc...

?

Re: Moving from old udev to eudev

Samuli Suominen-4
On 01/08/13 19:28, Tanstaafl wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Ok, rehashing this, but please don't turn it into another udev vs
> systemd thread.
>
> I have an older server that I have been putting off this update,
> debating on whether to update to the regular udev, or to eudev.
>
> I've googled until my fingers are blue, but cannot for the life of me
> find any explicit instructions for *how* to switch from udev to eudev.
>
> The eudev project page is sparse, to say the least.
>
> Anyone?

First of all, eudev only has IUSE="rule-generator" that is backported
from udev-171.
It's otherwise same in users point of view with sys-fs/udev, except
sys-fs/eudev is constantly out of date and the code forwarding from
upstream is not very reliable process.
Futhermore sys-fs/udev is not 'old' but it's the new one and will be the
default for OpenRC for long as OpenRC is in Portage.
I don't want to bash anything or anybody but sys-fs/eudev as-is in the
Portage is currently useless and a bit buggy.

Tanstaafl wrote:

> On 2013-08-01 4:04 PM, Dale <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I switched when it was still fresh and it wasn't to bad from what I
>> recall.  Just emerge -C udev and emerge eudev.  I think I masked udev to
>> make sure it didn't get pulled in any more by something else but other
>> than that, it just worked.
>>
>> I would recommend going to boot runlevel and restarting udev after the
>> switch tho, just to be sure it restarts OK.
>>
>> Oh, the init script is still called udev not eudev.
>
> Thanks Dale.
>
> Hmmm... so, do I have to do any of the things recommended if updating
> to the new version of udev?
>
> Ie:
>
> Remove the udev-postmount init script
>
> Make sure CONFIG_DEVTMPFS=y is set in the kernel configuration
>
> etc...
>
> ?

When the version of udev came out that was said to require a init thingy
or /usr on /, that is when I switched to eudev.  I haven't used the
newer versions of udev.   I do have this in my kernel config tho:

root@fireball / # cat /usr/src/linux/.config | grep -i CONFIG_DEVTMPFS
CONFIG_DEVTMPFS=y
CONFIG_DEVTMPFS_MOUNT=y
root@fireball / #

It may be best to search the archives for eudev and my email addy.  I
don't recall it being anything difficult.  The issues I did run into has
since been fixed.  As I posted earlier, I installed the very early
version.

From my understanding now tho, it should be as easy as unmerge udev and
emerge eudev.  I'd look at the messages after it emerges tho, just in
case.

Dale

:-)  :-)

Samuli Suominen wrote:

> On 01/08/13 19:28, Tanstaafl wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Ok, rehashing this, but please don't turn it into another udev vs
>> systemd thread.
>>
>> I have an older server that I have been putting off this update,
>> debating on whether to update to the regular udev, or to eudev.
>>
>> I've googled until my fingers are blue, but cannot for the life of me
>> find any explicit instructions for *how* to switch from udev to eudev.
>>
>> The eudev project page is sparse, to say the least.
>>
>> Anyone?
>>

> First of all, eudev only has IUSE="rule-generator" that is backported
> from udev-171.
> It's otherwise same in users point of view with sys-fs/udev, except
> sys-fs/eudev is constantly out of date and the code forwarding from
> upstream is not very reliable process.
> Futhermore sys-fs/udev is not 'old' but it's the new one and will be
> the default for OpenRC for long as OpenRC is in Portage.
> I don't want to bash anything or anybody but sys-fs/eudev as-is in the
> Portage is currently useless and a bit buggy.

That's odd.  I been using eudev since like the second version that came
out and have had zero issues with it.  Ask anyone here, if it had a
problem, I'd be found it by now.  lol

Dale

:-)  :-)

On 02/08/13 00:49, Dale wrote:

> Samuli Suominen wrote:
>> On 01/08/13 19:28, Tanstaafl wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Ok, rehashing this, but please don't turn it into another udev vs
>>> systemd thread.
>>>
>>> I have an older server that I have been putting off this update,
>>> debating on whether to update to the regular udev, or to eudev.
>>>
>>> I've googled until my fingers are blue, but cannot for the life of me
>>> find any explicit instructions for *how* to switch from udev to eudev.
>>>
>>> The eudev project page is sparse, to say the least.
>>>
>>> Anyone?
>>>

>> First of all, eudev only has IUSE="rule-generator" that is backported
>> from udev-171.
>> It's otherwise same in users point of view with sys-fs/udev, except
>> sys-fs/eudev is constantly out of date and the code forwarding from
>> upstream is not very reliable process.
>> Futhermore sys-fs/udev is not 'old' but it's the new one and will be
>> the default for OpenRC for long as OpenRC is in Portage.
>> I don't want to bash anything or anybody but sys-fs/eudev as-is in the
>> Portage is currently useless and a bit buggy.
>>

> That's odd.  I been using eudev since like the second version that came
> out and have had zero issues with it.  Ask anyone here, if it had a
> problem, I'd be found it by now.  lol

Then you haven't been following.  It's multiple issues per week, if not
even day.
And like said, you don't gain anything by using sys-fs/eudev. The
package is useless.

Re: Moving from old udev to eudev

Bill Kenworthy
On 02/08/13 00:28, Tanstaafl wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Ok, rehashing this, but please don't turn it into another udev vs
> systemd thread.
>
> I have an older server that I have been putting off this update,
> debating on whether to update to the regular udev, or to eudev.
>
> I've googled until my fingers are blue, but cannot for the life of me
> find any explicit instructions for *how* to switch from udev to eudev.
>
> The eudev project page is sparse, to say the least.
>
> Anyone?

Something like

olympus ~ # cat /etc/portage/package.mask
>=sys-fs/udev-180
olympus ~ #

olympus ~ # grep udev /etc/portage/package.keywords
sys-fs/eudev ~amd64
=virtual/udev-206 ~amd64
olympus ~ #

unmerge everything udev && emerge eudev

its been much less fuss and bother than trying to stick with the udev
machinations - I have maybe 15 machines and vm's running eudev, no udev
... :)

BillK

On 02/08/13 02:27, William Kenworthy wrote:

> On 02/08/13 00:28, Tanstaafl wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Ok, rehashing this, but please don't turn it into another udev vs
>> systemd thread.
>>
>> I have an older server that I have been putting off this update,
>> debating on whether to update to the regular udev, or to eudev.
>>
>> I've googled until my fingers are blue, but cannot for the life of me
>> find any explicit instructions for *how* to switch from udev to eudev.
>>
>> The eudev project page is sparse, to say the least.
>>
>> Anyone?
>>

> Something like
>
> olympus ~ # cat /etc/portage/package.mask
>> =sys-fs/udev-180
> olympus ~ #
>
> olympus ~ # grep udev /etc/portage/package.keywords
> sys-fs/eudev ~amd64
> =virtual/udev-206 ~amd64
> olympus ~ #
>
> unmerge everything udev && emerge eudev
>
> its been much less fuss and bother than trying to stick with the udev
> machinations - I have maybe 15 machines and vm's running eudev, no udev
> ... :)

nope, you just believed all the FUD there has been out there.  i've said
it many times, and i'll say it again:

the only real different is USE="rule-generator" and that's it

and sys-fs/eudev is constantly out of date and haven't developed any
features of their own

so why follow with unreliable fork, when there is the official package
available with equal features?

On 02/08/13 07:42, Samuli Suominen wrote:
> On 02/08/13 02:27, William Kenworthy wrote:
>> On 02/08/13 00:28, Tanstaafl wrote:
>
> so why follow with unreliable fork, when there is the official package
> available with equal features?

easy - it works and while I had machines running some of each it was
only the udev machines that needed continual maintenance in that area.
The latest and greatest isnt always the best.

I believe one of the goals of eudev was stability and the old way of
doing things which I want and get ... after removing gnome3 and
installing LXDE where I need a desktop (and LXDE is moving from gnome2
to QT, even better) I am getting less and less interested in creating
ongoing pain for myself with udev/systemd/gnome etc.

There may be bugs, but on my installations its been udev thats created
the hassles.

BillK

Re: Moving from old udev to eudev

Bill Kenworthy
On 02/08/13 07:42, Samuli Suominen wrote:

> On 02/08/13 02:27, William Kenworthy wrote:
>> On 02/08/13 00:28, Tanstaafl wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Ok, rehashing this, but please don't turn it into another udev vs
>>> systemd thread.
>>>
>>> I have an older server that I have been putting off this update,
>>> debating on whether to update to the regular udev, or to eudev.
>>>
>>> I've googled until my fingers are blue, but cannot for the life of me
>>> find any explicit instructions for *how* to switch from udev to eudev.
>>>
>>> The eudev project page is sparse, to say the least.
>>>
>>> Anyone?
>>>

>> Something like
>>
>> olympus ~ # cat /etc/portage/package.mask
>>> =sys-fs/udev-180
>> olympus ~ #
>>
>> olympus ~ # grep udev /etc/portage/package.keywords
>> sys-fs/eudev ~amd64
>> =virtual/udev-206 ~amd64
>> olympus ~ #
>>
>> unmerge everything udev && emerge eudev
>>
>> its been much less fuss and bother than trying to stick with the udev
>> machinations - I have maybe 15 machines and vm's running eudev, no udev
>> ... :)
>
> nope, you just believed all the FUD there has been out there.  i've said
> it many times, and i'll say it again:
>
> the only real different is USE="rule-generator" and that's it
>
> and sys-fs/eudev is constantly out of date and haven't developed any
> features of their own
>
> so why follow with unreliable fork, when there is the official package
> available with equal features?

and I just searched gentoo's bugzilla for "eudev" and there is a single
bug which is a stabilisation request.  Looking at the eudev github page
recent updates range from hours to days though some are months as one
would expect.

If its unreliable, where are the bugs? Try doing a search of gentoo's
bugzilla for udev instead of eudev ...

BillK

On 02/08/13 03:19, William Kenworthy wrote:

> On 02/08/13 07:42, Samuli Suominen wrote:

>>> Something like
>>>
>>> olympus ~ # cat /etc/portage/package.mask
>>> olympus ~ #
>>>
>>> olympus ~ # grep udev /etc/portage/package.keywords
>>> sys-fs/eudev ~amd64
>>> =virtual/udev-206 ~amd64
>>> olympus ~ #
>>>
>>> unmerge everything udev && emerge eudev
>>>
>>> its been much less fuss and bother than trying to stick with the udev
>>> machinations - I have maybe 15 machines and vm's running eudev, no udev
>>> ... :)
>>
>> nope, you just believed all the FUD there has been out there.  i've said
>> it many times, and i'll say it again:
>>
>> the only real different is USE="rule-generator" and that's it
>>
>> and sys-fs/eudev is constantly out of date and haven't developed any
>> features of their own
>>
>> so why follow with unreliable fork, when there is the official package
>> available with equal features?
>>

> and I just searched gentoo's bugzilla for "eudev" and there is a single
> bug which is a stabilisation request.  Looking at the eudev github page
> recent updates range from hours to days though some are months as one
> would expect.
>
> If its unreliable, where are the bugs? Try doing a search of gentoo's
> bugzilla for udev instead of eudev ...

The bugs assigned to udev-bugs@ apply also to sys-fs/eudev in almost
every case.
And the sys-fs/eudev specific bugs are in the github page at 'Tickets',
and some in bugzilla.
And yes, there are attempt at keeping up-to-date but everytime I (or we)
review how it was done, bits are missing from here and there.

So still, eudev is the unnecessary experimental toy trying to catch up
udev, and sys-fs/udev will be the default for long as sys-apps/openrc is
the default.

Re: Moving from old udev to eudev

Walter Dnes
On Fri, Aug 02, 2013 at 02:42:36AM +0300, Samuli Suominen wrote

> nope, you just believed all the FUD there has been out there.  i've said
> it many times, and i'll say it again:
>
> the only real different is USE="rule-generator" and that's it
>
> and sys-fs/eudev is constantly out of date and haven't developed any
> features of their own

  What are the "new features"?  What have Lennart/Kay broken recently?
First it was firmware loading in udev, which got them reamed out by
Linus.  Then it was (un)predictable network interface names.  Gentoo is
not Facebook http://www.geek.com/news/mark-zuckerberg-says-you-need-to-move-fast-and-break-things-922432/

--
Walter Dnes <[hidden email]>

Re: Moving from old udev to eudev

Walter Dnes
On Thu, Aug 01, 2013 at 12:28:38PM -0400, Tanstaafl wrote

> Hi all,
>
> Ok, rehashing this, but please don't turn it into another udev vs
> systemd thread.
>
> I have an older server that I have been putting off this update,
> debating on whether to update to the regular udev, or to eudev.
>
> I've googled until my fingers are blue, but cannot for the life of me
> find any explicit instructions for *how* to switch from udev to eudev.

  Step 1)
keyword sys-fs/eudev-1_beta2-r2

  Step 2)
ensure that "kmod" and "openrc" and "-modutils" USE flags are set (at
least for sys-fs/eudev).  "tools" flag needs to be set for sys-apps/kmod
(usually a system default)

  Step 3)
unmerge udev sys-apps/modutils
(You *MUST* specify "sys-apps/modutils" to avoid confusion with
"virtual/modutils")

  Step 4)
emerge eudev
(should pull in kmod)

  Step 5)
  The following message shows up in elog.  Do as it says...

--
Walter Dnes <[hidden email]>

1234 ... 6