Mutt not displaying encrypted attachments

Mutt not displaying encrypted attachments

Lucas Ramage
Hello all,

I have been having an issue with mutt not displaying encrypted attachments.

My configs are on github,

Visit online journal

Lucas Ramage / Software Engineer
[hidden email] / (941) 404-6794

PGP Fingerprint / Learn More
EAE7 45DF 818D 4948 DDA7 0F44 F52A 5A96 7B9B 6FB7

Visit online journal
http://lramage94.github.io

Github Linkedin

Re: Mutt not displaying encrypted attachments

Matthew Marchese
On 10/12/2017 08:55 AM, Lucas Ramage wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have been having an issue with mutt not displaying encrypted attachments.
>
> My configs are on github,
>
> https://github.com/lramage94/dotfiles/{.mutt,.gnupg}

Can anyone help Lucas with this?

Kind regards,
maffblaster

Re: Mutt not displaying encrypted attachments

Jean-Christophe Bach-2
Hello,

* Matthew Marchese <[hidden email]> [17.10.2017. @02:30:55 -0700]:

> On 10/12/2017 08:55 AM, Lucas Ramage wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I have been having an issue with mutt not displaying encrypted attachments.
> >
> > My configs are on github,
> >
> > https://github.com/lramage94/dotfiles/{.mutt,.gnupg}
> >

> Can anyone help Lucas with this?
I am not sure to understand your problem:
- you encrypt your attachments (or receive ons) and they are not attached? or not shown but present?
- does the full encryption of an email work? (are you able to send and receive encrypted emails?)
- your configuration files do not show anything related to attachments

Could gave us your use case in order we can try to reproduce it?

Just in case, you can also add your version numbers of mutt, gnupg, etc.

Thank you,

JC

PS : I am also sing gnupg + mutt, we can do some test off list if it is more convenient for you.

Re: Mutt not displaying encrypted attachments

Mick-10
On Tuesday, 17 October 2017 10:30:55 BST Matthew Marchese wrote:

> On 10/12/2017 08:55 AM, Lucas Ramage wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I have been having an issue with mutt not displaying encrypted
> > attachments.
> >
> > My configs are on github,
> >
> > https://github.com/lramage94/dotfiles/{.mutt,.gnupg}
>
> Can anyone help Lucas with this?
>
> Kind regards,
> maffblaster
Lucas may want to try these settings which seem to work here, but I am no mutt
guru to know if they are optimal:

set pgp_use_gpg_agent = yes

set crypt_use_gpgme

set pgp_auto_decode = yes

set pgp_decode_command="gpg --status-fd=2 %?p?--passphrase-fd 0? --no-verbose
--quiet --batch --output - %f"

set pgp_verify_command="gpg --status-fd=2 --no-verbose --quiet --batch --
output - --verify %s %f"

set pgp_decrypt_command="gpg --status-fd=2 %?p?--passphrase-fd 0? --no-verbose
--quiet --batch --output - %f"

set pgp_sign_command="gpg --no-verbose --batch --quiet --output - %?p?--
passphrase-fd 0? --armor --detach-sign --textmode %?a?-u %a? %f"

set pgp_clearsign_command="gpg --pinentry-mode loopback --no-verbose --batch
--output - --passphrase-fd 0 --armor --textmode --clearsign %?a?-u %a? %f"

set pgp_encrypt_sign_command="pgpewrap gpg %?p?--passphrase-fd 0? --batch --
quiet --no-verbose --textmode --output - --encrypt --sign %?a?-u %a? --armor
--always-trust -- -r %r -- %f"

set pgp_list_pubring_command="gpg --no-verbose --batch --quiet --with-colons
--with-fingerprint --with-fingerprint --list-keys %r"

set pgp_good_sign="`gettext -d gnupg -s 'Good signature from "' | tr -d '"'`"

set pgp_list_pubring_command = "gpg --list-keys --with-colons"

set crypt_replysignencrypted = yes

set pgp_list_pubring_command="gpg --no-verbose --batch --with-colons --list-
keys %r"

set pgp_list_secring_command="gpg --no-verbose --batch --with-colons --list-
secret-keys %r"

set pgp_sign_as = 0xABCDEFGH  #Your default PGP sig

set pgp_sort_keys = address

Mick

Re: Mutt not displaying encrypted attachments

Ian Zimmerman-3
On 2017-10-17 11:49, Mick wrote:

> Lucas may want to try these settings which seem to work here, but I am
> no mutt guru to know if they are optimal:

I'm now a neomutt user and this may make a difference, but ...

> set crypt_use_gpgme

This should make all the rest redundant at best, and conflicting at worst.

> set pgp_use_gpg_agent = yes
>
> set pgp_decode_command="gpg --status-fd=2 %?p?--passphrase-fd 0? --no-verbose
> --quiet --batch --output - %f"

... etc ...

Do obvious transformation on domain to reply privately _only_ on Usenet.

On Tuesday, 17 October 2017 17:13:19 BST Ian Zimmerman wrote:
> On 2017-10-17 11:49, Mick wrote:
> > Lucas may want to try these settings which seem to work here, but I am
>
> > no mutt guru to know if they are optimal:
> I'm now a neomutt user and this may make a difference, but ...

I've only used mutt sparingly, so I wouldn't count myself as advanced in mutt-
fu.

> > set crypt_use_gpgme
>
> This should make all the rest redundant at best, and conflicting at worst.

Not here.  If I comment out what follows in my previously posted
configuration, then mutt fails to decrypt, or display, or sign.

Mick

Re: Mutt not displaying encrypted attachments

Lucas Ramage
That worked!!! Thanks a ton!!

On Thursday, 19 October 2017 14:51:00 BST Lucas Ramage wrote:
> That worked!!! Thanks a ton!!

Cool, but which suggestion worked?

Setting a single entry of:

set crypt_use_gpgme

or the full settings I use on my configuration?

Mick

Re: Mutt not displaying encrypted attachments

Lucas Ramage
I just used 'set crypt_use_gpgme'

Github Linkedin

On Thursday, 19 October 2017 19:21:43 BST Lucas Ramage wrote:
> I just used 'set crypt_use_gpgme'

Interesting!  I better look into my set up then when I get some time to
discover what's wrong, because I need the full configuration as posted in
order for it to work.  :-/

Mick

Re: Mutt not displaying encrypted attachments

Lucas Ramage
Oh that's odd. I wonder if it's an issue with gpg?

On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 2:45 PM, Mick <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thursday, 19 October 2017 19:21:43 BST Lucas Ramage wrote:
> I just used 'set crypt_use_gpgme'

Interesting!  I better look into my set up then when I get some time to
discover what's wrong, because I need the full configuration as posted in
order for it to work.  :-/

Mick

Visit online journal

Lucas Ramage / Software Engineer
[hidden email] / (941) 404-6794

PGP Fingerprint / Learn More
EAE7 45DF 818D 4948 DDA7 0F44 F52A 5A96 7B9B 6FB7

Visit online journal
http://lramage94.github.io

Github Linkedin

Re: Mutt not displaying encrypted attachments

Arthur Țițeică
În ziua de joi, 19 octombrie 2017, la 21:45:05 EEST, Mick a scris:
> On Thursday, 19 October 2017 19:21:43 BST Lucas Ramage wrote:
> > I just used 'set crypt_use_gpgme'
>
> Interesting!  I better look into my set up then when I get some time to
> discover what's wrong, because I need the full configuration as posted in
> order for it to work.  :-/

Maybe it's because mutt has two (a bit conflicting IMO) USE flags, crypt and
gpg. What do you use?

On Thursday, 19 October 2017 21:07:50 BST Arthur Țițeică wrote:

> În ziua de joi, 19 octombrie 2017, la 21:45:05 EEST, Mick a scris:
> > On Thursday, 19 October 2017 19:21:43 BST Lucas Ramage wrote:
> > > I just used 'set crypt_use_gpgme'
> >
> > Interesting!  I better look into my set up then when I get some time to
> > discover what's wrong, because I need the full configuration as posted in
> > order for it to work.  :-/
>
> Maybe it's because mutt has two (a bit conflicting IMO) USE flags, crypt and
> gpg. What do you use?
Thanks Arthur ... according to 'eix -l' I seem to be using both:

     Installed versions:  1.7.2(06:14:56 07/11/17)(crypt gdbm gpg imap mbox
nls nntp pop sasl sidebar smime smtp ssl -berkdb -debug -doc -gnutls -idn -
kerberos -libressl -notmuch -qdbm -selinux -slang -tokyocabinet -vanilla)

Mick

On Thursday, 19 October 2017 19:46:47 BST Lucas Ramage wrote:
> Oh that's odd. I wonder if it's an issue with gpg?

I suspect something in my configuration has deviated from vanilla and this is
causing the problem of 'set crypt_use_gpgme' not being enough.  This is what
I'm running here:

app-crypt/gpgme-1.8.0-r3
     Installed versions:  1.8.0-r3(1)(08:33:15 05/10/17)(cxx qt5 -common-lisp
-python -static-libs PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_4 -python3_5")

dev-libs/libgpg-error-1.27-r1
     Installed versions:  1.27-r1(09:15:46 03/21/17)(nls -common-lisp -static-
libs ABI_MIPS="-n32 -n64 -o32" ABI_PPC="-32 -64" ABI_S390="-32 -64"
ABI_X86="32 64 -x32")

app-crypt/gnupg-2.1.20-r1
     Installed versions:  2.1.20-r1(10:45:25 05/21/17)(bzip2 gnutls ldap nls
readline smartcard usb -doc -selinux -tofu -tools -wks-server)

mail-client/mutt-1.7.2
     Installed versions:  1.7.2(06:14:56 07/11/17)(crypt gdbm gpg imap mbox
nls nntp pop sasl sidebar smime smtp ssl -berkdb -debug -doc -gnutls -idn -
kerberos -libressl -notmuch -qdbm -selinux -slang -tokyocabinet -vanilla)

I haven't tried troubleshooting gpgme when running mutt to see what the logs
spew out.  xsession-errors and syslog does not reveal anything.  I should give
this some attention when I get a free moment.
Mick

On 2017-10-20 10:08, Mick wrote:

> I suspect something in my configuration has deviated from vanilla and
> this is causing the problem of 'set crypt_use_gpgme' not being enough.
> This is what I'm running here:

> mail-client/mutt-1.7.2

> I haven't tried troubleshooting gpgme when running mutt to see what
> the logs spew out.  xsession-errors and syslog does not reveal
> anything.  I should give this some attention when I get a free moment.

Classic mutt had known problems in this area.  For example, from the
mutt.org frontpage:

 Mutt 1.8.2 was released on April 18, 2017. This is a bug-fix release,
 fixing a regression involving GnuPG agent in the 1.8.1 release.

You may want to try upgrading to latest (1.9.1), or to neomutt if you
feel like an adventure.

Otherwise, if you really want to debug your current configuration, I
would start by commenting out the gpgme line.  That should give you the
original environment where mutt interacts with GPG directly; one fewer
variable to consider.  Then, once you get that working, uncomment gpgme
and comment out all the hairy gpg command lines.

On Friday, 20 October 2017 16:35:34 BST Ian Zimmerman wrote:

> On 2017-10-20 10:08, Mick wrote:
> > I suspect something in my configuration has deviated from vanilla and
> > this is causing the problem of 'set crypt_use_gpgme' not being enough.
> > This is what I'm running here:
> >
> > mail-client/mutt-1.7.2
> >
> > I haven't tried troubleshooting gpgme when running mutt to see what
> > the logs spew out.  xsession-errors and syslog does not reveal
> > anything.  I should give this some attention when I get a free moment.
>
> Classic mutt had known problems in this area.  For example, from the
> mutt.org frontpage:
>
>  Mutt 1.8.2 was released on April 18, 2017. This is a bug-fix release,
>  fixing a regression involving GnuPG agent in the 1.8.1 release.
>
> You may want to try upgrading to latest (1.9.1), or to neomutt if you
> feel like an adventure.
>
> Otherwise, if you really want to debug your current configuration, I
> would start by commenting out the gpgme line.  That should give you the
> original environment where mutt interacts with GPG directly; one fewer
> variable to consider.  Then, once you get that working, uncomment gpgme
> and comment out all the hairy gpg command lines.
LOL!  You made me laugh!

I've highjacked to some extent the OP's request, but since his problem was
fixed by using gpgme I guess I could carry on.

I have no problem using gpg with mutt as long as I include the "hairy gpg
command lines".  :-)  The gpgme line alone does not work on my current
version.  I will update to a later version soon and then see what I get.

Thank you for your help.
Mick