New Firefox 56.0 ... window size problem

New Firefox 56.0 ... window size problem

tuxic
Hi,

After the update to FF 56.0 was done, I created a new profile and
added my previous addons.

Now, the FF opens in half screen width everytime I start it. From what
I remember, the previous size when closing FF is the next size when
openening FF - now it seems to be a somehow hardcoded value.

Is it known, where I can change that value?

Cheers
Meino

Re: New Firefox 56.0 ... window size problem

mad.scientist.at.large
You might try reinstalling it (possibly downloading it again, some bit patterns tend to damage so as to preserve the checksums, seen it, took 4 downloads to get a good one before, despite everything looking good, and the same issue 3 times!).

There's a possibility you confused it copying things around, firefox is somewhat picky about that, i know from experience (from way back before it was firefox) .

It also could easily be a problem between firefox and an extension.  I'd suggest trying it first with a new, default value filled profile to troubleshoot, if that works try making one or a very few changes at a time, i.e. add back extensions one by one, this way you can narrow down the search.

also, if you have a text console open you can see all the debuging messages, though there are many minor issues it complains about you might see a big clue.  seriously, the quality of addons is not what it should be.  Both extensions and firefox get released any way even though they scream if you listen.  please let us know the outcome.

This is one reason everything is changing in firefox, they are trying to fix the bugs and keep addons from introducing more bugs and security holes.  The rapid version changing in firefox has been annoying for some time, one hopes it's worthwhile.  Honestly i miss the web of 16 years ago in some ways.

--
In celebration of national cyber security month, let's pass laws to hold companies like Equifax responsible for their gross failure to take privacy and security seriously.  Equifax deserves to be sued out of existence, their "leaders" should certainly be fired.  Security is an attitude, so is carelessness.

2. Oct 2017 02:22 by [hidden email]:

Cheers
Meino

On 10/02 09:08, [hidden email] wrote:

> You might try reinstalling it (possibly downloading it again, some bit patterns tend to damage so as to preserve the checksums, seen it, took 4 downloads to get a good one before, despite everything looking good, and the same issue 3 times!).
>
> There's a possibility you confused it copying things around, firefox is somewhat picky about that, i know from experience (from way back before it was firefox) .
>
> It also could easily be a problem between firefox and an extension.  I'd suggest trying it first with a new, default value filled profile to troubleshoot, if that works try making one or a very few changes at a time, i.e. add back extensions one by one, this way you can narrow down the search.
>
> also, if you have a text console open you can see all the debuging messages, though there are many minor issues it complains about you might see a big clue.  seriously, the quality of addons is not what it should be.  Both extensions and firefox get released any way even though they scream if you listen.  please let us know the outcome.
>
> This is one reason everything is changing in firefox, they are trying to fix the bugs and keep addons from introducing more bugs and security holes.  The rapid version changing in firefox has been annoying for some time, one hopes it's worthwhile.  Honestly i miss the web of 16 years ago in some ways.
>
> --
> In celebration of national cyber security month, let's pass laws to hold companies like Equifax responsible for their gross failure to take privacy and security seriously.  Equifax deserves to be sued out of existence, their "leaders" should certainly be fired.  Security is an attitude, so is carelessness.
>

> 2. Oct 2017 02:22 by [hidden email]:
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > After the update to FF 56.0 was done, I created a new profile and
> > added my previous addons.
> >
> > Now, the FF opens in half screen width everytime I start it. From what
> > I remember, the previous size when closing FF is the next size when
> > openening FF - now it seems to be a somehow hardcoded value.
> >
> > Is it known, where I can change that value?
> >
> > Cheers
> > Meino

Hi,

thanks for your support.

I have created a new profile without any addons/extensions. This works
so far....BUT...I get this on the commandline while starting FF as
normal user:

(firefox:2626): dconf-WARNING **: Unable to open /root/.local/share/dconf/profile/user: Permission denied
*** UTM:SVC TimerManager:registerTimer called after profile-before-change notification. Ignoring timer registration for id: telemetry_modules_ping

What the .... is FF trying to do with my root-Account ?

I am irritated...
mcc

Re: New Firefox 56.0 ... window size problem

Marc Joliet
Am Montag, 2. Oktober 2017, 10:22:37 CEST schrieb [hidden email]:

> Hi,
>
> After the update to FF 56.0 was done, I created a new profile and
> added my previous addons.
>
> Now, the FF opens in half screen width everytime I start it. From what
> I remember, the previous size when closing FF is the next size when
> openening FF - now it seems to be a somehow hardcoded value.
>
> Is it known, where I can change that value?
>
> Cheers
> Meino
Have you checked your window manager settings, e.g., kwin or whatever you use?

HTH
--
Marc Joliet
don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup

On 10/02 10:31, Marc Joliet wrote:

> Am Montag, 2. Oktober 2017, 10:22:37 CEST schrieb [hidden email]:
> > Hi,
> >
> > After the update to FF 56.0 was done, I created a new profile and
> > added my previous addons.
> >
> > Now, the FF opens in half screen width everytime I start it. From what
> > I remember, the previous size when closing FF is the next size when
> > openening FF - now it seems to be a somehow hardcoded value.
> >
> > Is it known, where I can change that value?
> >
> > Cheers
> > Meino
>
> Have you checked your window manager settings, e.g., kwin or whatever you use?
>
> HTH
> --
> Marc Joliet
> --
> "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
> don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup

Hi Marc,

juppp...nothing suspicious...
The problem arises also, if FF is started with the profile in qyestion
from the commandline.