New Gentoo/FreeBSD 9.0 stages for x86 and amd64

New Gentoo/FreeBSD 9.0 stages for x86 and amd64

Alexis Ballier-2
Hi,

I've (finally) made new fbsd stages. They are available at:
http://dev.gentoo.org/~aballier/fbsd9.0/
in their respective directories.
(at the time of writing this email, there's only amd64 but x86 will
appear soon)

I'll make some more testing and would appreciate any feedback. If
everything goes well I'll push them to the mirrors, in the usual
experimental directory.

I would like to thank especially Yuta SATOH and Richard Yao for their
work on making new stages for Gentoo/FreeBSD which made the task much
easier.

Regards,

Alexis.

RES: New Gentoo/FreeBSD 9.0 stages for x86 and amd64

Eduardo Schoedler
Great work, thanks!

--
Eduardo Schoedler

Re: New Gentoo/FreeBSD 9.0 stages for x86 and amd64

Alexis Ballier-2

Some updates:
- python3 is set as the default interpreter, remember to switch it to
python2 or you might run into problems; anybody knows how did they fix
this for gentoo linux when python3 reached stable ?
- creating pie executables is broken: they'll get textrels on x86 and
  will simply not link on amd64; will send a patch to gcc fixing this.

A.

Re: New Gentoo/FreeBSD 9.0 stages for x86 and amd64

Richard Yao
On 05/08/12 08:49, Alexis Ballier wrote:

> Some updates:
> - python3 is set as the default interpreter, remember to switch it to
> python2 or you might run into problems; anybody knows how did they fix
> this for gentoo linux when python3 reached stable ?
> - creating pie executables is broken: they'll get textrels on x86 and
>   will simply not link on amd64; will send a patch to gcc fixing this.
>
> A.

Why is python3 the default interpreter if people might run into problems
because of it?

Re: New Gentoo/FreeBSD 9.0 stages for x86 and amd64

Alexis Ballier-2
On Wed, 9 May 2012 01:22:50 -0400
Richard Yao <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 05/08/12 08:49, Alexis Ballier wrote:
> >
> > Some updates:
> > - python3 is set as the default interpreter, remember to switch it
> > to python2 or you might run into problems; anybody knows how did
> > they fix this for gentoo linux when python3 reached stable ?
> > - creating pie executables is broken: they'll get textrels on x86
> > and will simply not link on amd64; will send a patch to gcc fixing
> > this.
> >
> > A.
> >

> Why is python3 the default interpreter if people might run into
> problems because of it?

probably because it gets built and installed before python2 and python
ebuilds made it the default back then...