New global USE flags (network, 3dnowext, static-libs, mtp)

New global USE flags (network, 3dnowext, static-libs, mtp)

Samuli Suominen-4
USE network is used by 9 ebuilds, and one is using USE networking which
can be converted, that'd be 10.

USE 3dnowext is basic optimization, 3 ebuilds, but it should be with mmx
and others.

USE static-libs to enable or disable static libs (archives), used by 6
ebuilds, soon more.

USE mtp is used by 6 ebuilds, enables Media Transfer Protocol support.

Any objections?

Re: New global USE flags (network, 3dnowext, static-libs, mtp)

Mart Raudsepp-2
On K, 2009-06-03 at 02:13 +0300, Samuli Suominen wrote:

> USE network is used by 9 ebuilds, and one is using USE networking which
> can be converted, that'd be 10.
>

> USE 3dnowext is basic optimization, 3 ebuilds, but it should be with mmx
> and others.
>
> USE static-libs to enable or disable static libs (archives), used by 6
> ebuilds, soon more.
>
> USE mtp is used by 6 ebuilds, enables Media Transfer Protocol support.
>
> Any objections?
Could you share it with everyone what the proposed global descriptions
of these USE flags would be, and what the individual local USE flag
descriptions currently are? So that everyone won't need to look up by
themselves or guess the global description.

--
Mart Raudsepp
Gentoo Developer

Mart Raudsepp wrote:
> On K, 2009-06-03 at 02:13 +0300, Samuli Suominen wrote:
>> USE network is used by 9 ebuilds, and one is using USE networking which
>> can be converted, that'd be 10.

USE network "Enable networking support"

>> USE 3dnowext is basic optimization, 3 ebuilds, but it should be with mmx
>> and others.

USE 3dnowext "Adds support for 3dnowext multimedia processor instructions"

(desc. almost copy from 3dnow desc)

>> USE static-libs to enable or disable static libs (archives), used by 6
>> ebuilds, soon more.

USE static-libs "Build static libraries"

>> USE mtp is used by 6 ebuilds, enables Media Transfer Protocol support.

USE mtp "Enable support for Media Transfer Protocol"

>> Any objections?
>
> Could you share it with everyone what the proposed global descriptions
> of these USE flags would be, and what the individual local USE flag
> descriptions currently are? So that everyone won't need to look up by
> themselves or guess the global description.

Thanks Samuli

Re: New global USE flags (network, 3dnowext, static-libs, mtp)

Mounir Lamouri-2
Samuli Suominen wrote:
> Mart Raudsepp wrote:
>
>> On K, 2009-06-03 at 02:13 +0300, Samuli Suominen wrote:
>>
>>> USE network is used by 9 ebuilds, and one is using USE networking which
>>> can be converted, that'd be 10.
>>>
> USE network "Enable networking support
Maybe "network" and "net" could be merged ?

Mounir

Mounir Lamouri wrote:

> Samuli Suominen wrote:
>> Mart Raudsepp wrote:

>> USE network "Enable networking support
> Maybe "network" and "net" could be merged ?
>
> Mounir

Yes. USE="networking" and USE="net" to global USE flag "network". They
all seem to do the same thing.

Re: New global USE flags (network, 3dnowext, static-libs, mtp)

Duncan-42
Samuli Suominen <[hidden email]> posted [hidden email],
excerpted below, on  Wed, 03 Jun 2009 22:42:57 +0300:

> Mounir Lamouri wrote:
>> Samuli Suominen wrote:

>>> USE network "Enable networking support
>> Maybe "network" and "net" could be merged ?
>>
>> Mounir
>>

> Yes. USE="networking" and USE="net" to global USE flag "network". They
> all seem to do the same thing.

In at least one I package I use, media-sound/mpd, USE=network doesn't
really do what it says on the tin.

Currently, "the tin" says "Enable network streaming support".  However,
what it does is enable network streaming /server/, with the requisite
encoding, etc. Network streaming /client/ support is always enabled for
this package, regardless of the USE=network setting, and indeed, I
happily listen to incoming shoutcast streams all the time despite USE=-
network for this package.

This was a relatively new flag for this package, added in the fresh ~arch
version, and it certainly caused me some initial confusion, until I
actually examined the ebuild itself to see what it did.

Perhaps a more accurate flag for media-sound/mpd would therefore be
USE=server (which BTW has all sorts of local entries, but AFAIK, has been
disapproved as a global USE flag before).

--
Duncan - List replies preferred.   No HTML msgs.
and if you use the program, he is your master."  Richard Stallman

On K, 2009-06-03 at 21:02 +0300, Samuli Suominen wrote:

> Mart Raudsepp wrote:
> > On K, 2009-06-03 at 02:13 +0300, Samuli Suominen wrote:
> >> USE network is used by 9 ebuilds, and one is using USE networking which
> >> can be converted, that'd be 10.
>
> USE network "Enable networking support"
>

> >> USE 3dnowext is basic optimization, 3 ebuilds, but it should be with mmx
> >> and others.
>
> USE 3dnowext "Adds support for 3dnowext multimedia processor instructions"
>
> (desc. almost copy from 3dnow desc)

Maybe it could say in parenthesis what kind of processors have it "(foo
and later vendor bar CPUs)" or something if it can be classified like
that. I think it's still pretty AMD specific and introduced with a
certain family.

> >> USE static-libs to enable or disable static libs (archives), used by 6
> >> ebuilds, soon more.
>
> USE static-libs "Build static libraries"

I think this should be clear on that dynamic libraries are still built
and installed

"Build static libraries in addition to shared libraries"

> >> USE mtp is used by 6 ebuilds, enables Media Transfer Protocol support.
>
> USE mtp "Enable support for Media Transfer Protocol"
>

> >> Any objections?
> >
> > Could you share it with everyone what the proposed global descriptions
> > of these USE flags would be,

> and what the individual local USE flag
> > descriptions currently are?

You seem to have ignored this part. I guess I'm just lazy to go look up
what packages actually have those as a local USE flags and go viewing
metadata.xml of each of those.

> So that everyone won't need to look up by
> > themselves or guess the global description.
> >

> Thanks Samuli

Re: New global USE flags (network, 3dnowext, static-libs, mtp)

Duncan-42
Mart Raudsepp <[hidden email]> posted
1244107321.9683.2.camel@localhost, excerpted below, on  Thu, 04 Jun 2009
12:22:01 +0300:

> You seem to have ignored this part. I guess I'm just lazy to go look up
> what packages actually have those as a local USE flags and go viewing
> metadata.xml of each of those.

euse -i <flag>

equery b euse
 * Searching for euse ...
app-portage/gentoolkit-0.3.0_rc6 (/usr/bin/euse)