Newbie user, first boot hang...

Arnau Bria Ramírez
Hi!

I'm new to list, and new to xbox world. This Xmas my brother has gift
me a modified Xbox, and my first idea is to install gentoo on it.

So, I'm following http://gentoo-wiki.com/Gentoo_for_Xbox.

I'm reading the guide, but I have few question cause I know nothing
about my new gift (chip installed, BIOS, etc..).

I just know that I must start my box pressing the button for some
seconds, and an orange led is on, and then, appears "EVO-X", so I
suppose this is the chip version.

Doing a quick search on google, I found that is possible to boot
linux with that chip.
So, I've changed the HD to new formated one with 80GB of space.

I have downloaded livecd-xbox-20050914.iso burned and instered it into
the xbox, and the only thing I see is this:

26 2005 - http://xbox-linux.sf.net
2002 Xbox Linux Team . Licensed under the GPL

Then, it hangs...

So, here are my questions:

1.-) How may I know all xbox info needed? (BIOS version and type etc...)
Most docs talk about that some steps might be different depending on
the xbox "version"...

2.-) Do I have to change the HD to original one?

3.-) May I have a complet boot with EVO-X and that iso? Is my
problem a known one? (found nothing on a quick google search)

Thanks in advance,
Arnau

Re: Newbie user, first boot hang...

scribebox
ok buddy, sounds like you have a modchip installed (probably a duoX 512.. by the sound of it.. holding the power button, etc.)

as far as identifying your chip TAKE THAT SUCKER APART :), take a picture, post it , we will figure it out, to figure out your bios, well, youve already told me quite a bit, sounds like your running an evox m8 bios, which. is pretty crappy for linux, what you would probably want to do, is either a) run a loopback filesystem on a fatx partition of your harddrive, or b) flash your modchip with the cromwell bios :s (kind of the more extreme, as it wont allow you to play xbox games anymore)

anyway..

and no, you dont have to change the harddrive, and i dont understand question 3.

-dustin reeves

On 1/7/07, Arnau Bria < [hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

-Dustin Reeves
[hidden email]
msn: [hidden email]

Re: Newbie user, first boot hang...

Arnau Bria Ramírez
On Sun, 7 Jan 2007 18:54:22 -0600
Dustin Reeves wrote:

Hi!,

> ok buddy, sounds like you have a modchip installed (probably a duoX
> 512.. by the sound of it.. holding the power button, etc.)
>
> as far as identifying your chip TAKE THAT SUCKER APART :), take a
> picture, post it , we will figure it out, to figure out your bios,

Ok, will do tonight.

> well, youve already told me quite a bit, sounds like your running an
> evox m8 bios, which. is pretty crappy for linux, what you would
> probably want to do, is either
>a) run a loopback filesystem on a fatx partition of your harddrive, or
>b) flash your modchip with the cromwell bios :s (kind of the more
>extreme, as it wont allow you to play xbox games anymore)

Well, don't really care about that, I just play MAME on XBOX...

> anyway..
>
> and no, you dont have to change the harddrive, and i dont understand
> question 3.
:-) sorry... but don't worry, you've answered all my questions.

> -dustin reeves
Cheers,
Arnau
--