News item: Deprecation and removal of legacy X11 input drivers.

News item: Deprecation and removal of legacy X11 input drivers.

Piotr Karbowski
Title: Deprecation and removal of legacy X11 input drivers.
Author: Piotr Karbowski <[hidden email]>
Revision: 1
News-Item-Format: 2.0
Display-If-Installed: x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse
Display-If-Installed: x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard

The Gentoo X11 Team is announcing the deprecation and future removal of
the legacy X11 input drivers x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse and
x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard. As of 2020-05-01 those input drivers
will be masked for removal.

These drivers have been deprecated for many years, first by
xf86-input-evdev and
then by xf86-input-libinput.

The only use for those drivers remain in deployments which intentionally
opt-out of using udev, as both evdev and libinput require udev during
runtime, however given that upstream has already removed the Linux
support from xf86-input-keyboard, future X11 releases will no longer
support xf86-input-keyboard on Linux rendering those installation
infeasible to use without udev.

In order to ensure fraction-less upgrade path for future X11 releases,
we have decided to deprecate those drivers that are not in active use by
pretty much any installation of Gentoo.

No action is required from end-users who are already using libinput (or
evdev). To check which driver is in use, one can use

    $ grep 'Using input driver' ~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log

For the systems running xorg-server as regular user (-suid
+elogind/+systemd) or by running

    # grep 'Using input driver' /var/log/Xorg.0.log

for those that still runs xorg-server as root.

If however neither libinput or evdev is in use, one should append
'libinput' to the INPUT_DEVICES variable inside /etc/portage/make.conf
and update @world with new USE flags

    # emerge -N @world

Re: News item: Deprecation and removal of legacy X11 input drivers.

David Seifert
On Thu, 2020-04-02 at 00:44 +0200, Piotr Karbowski wrote:

> Title: Deprecation and removal of legacy X11 input drivers.
> Author: Piotr Karbowski <[hidden email]>
> Revision: 1
> News-Item-Format: 2.0
> Display-If-Installed: x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse
> Display-If-Installed: x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard
>
> The Gentoo X11 Team is announcing the deprecation and future removal of
> the legacy X11 input drivers x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse and
> x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard. As of 2020-05-01 those input drivers
> will be masked for removal.
>
> These drivers have been deprecated for many years, first by
> xf86-input-evdev and
> then by xf86-input-libinput.
>
> The only use for those drivers remain in deployments which intentionally
> opt-out of using udev, as both evdev and libinput require udev during
> runtime, however given that upstream has already removed the Linux
> support from xf86-input-keyboard, future X11 releases will no longer
> support xf86-input-keyboard on Linux rendering those installation
> infeasible to use without udev.
>
> In order to ensure fraction-less upgrade path for future X11 releases,

nice Freudian there ;)

> we have decided to deprecate those drivers that are not in active use by
> pretty much any installation of Gentoo.
>
> No action is required from end-users who are already using libinput (or
> evdev). To check which driver is in use, one can use
>
>     $ grep 'Using input driver' ~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log
>
> For the systems running xorg-server as regular user (-suid
> +elogind/+systemd) or by running
>
>     # grep 'Using input driver' /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>
> for those that still runs xorg-server as root.
>
> If however neither libinput or evdev is in use, one should append
> 'libinput' to the INPUT_DEVICES variable inside /etc/portage/make.conf
> and update @world with new USE flags
>
>     # emerge -N @world

Re: News item: Deprecation and removal of legacy X11 input drivers.

Ulrich Mueller-2

> Title: Deprecation and removal of legacy X11 input drivers.

Title has 52 chars which is too long (omit the full stop for a start).

> Author: Piotr Karbowski <[hidden email]>
> Revision: 1
> News-Item-Format: 2.0
> Display-If-Installed: x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse
> Display-If-Installed: x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard

> The Gentoo X11 Team is announcing the deprecation and future removal of
> the legacy X11 input drivers x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse and
> x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard. As of 2020-05-01 those input drivers
> will be masked for removal.

> These drivers have been deprecated for many years, first by
> xf86-input-evdev and

Why the line break here?

> then by xf86-input-libinput.

> The only use for those drivers remain in deployments which intentionally
> opt-out of using udev, as both evdev and libinput require udev during
> runtime, however given that upstream has already removed the Linux
> support from xf86-input-keyboard, future X11 releases will no longer
> support xf86-input-keyboard on Linux rendering those installation
> infeasible to use without udev.

Very long sentence which is hard to read.

> In order to ensure fraction-less upgrade path for future X11 releases,
> we have decided to deprecate those drivers that are not in active use by
> pretty much any installation of Gentoo.

> No action is required from end-users who are already using libinput (or
> evdev). To check which driver is in use, one can use

>     $ grep 'Using input driver' ~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log

> For the systems running xorg-server as regular user (-suid

You don't start a new sentence here, so s/For/for/.

> +elogind/+systemd) or by running

>     # grep 'Using input driver' /var/log/Xorg.0.log

> for those that still runs xorg-server as root.

s/that still runs/running/

> If however neither libinput or evdev is in use, one should append
> 'libinput' to the INPUT_DEVICES variable inside /etc/portage/make.conf
> and update @world with new USE flags

>     # emerge -N @world

Shouldn't users remove "keyboard" and "mouse" from their INPUT_DEVICES?

Ulrich

Re: News item: Deprecation and removal of legacy X11 input drivers.

Piotr Karbowski

Updated with what Ulm and Soup pointed out, while keeping the long
sentence, that even it's long, is still beneficial to have. Revision
bumped to 2, date bumped to tomorrow's.

Title: Deprecation of legacy X11 input drivers
Author: Piotr Karbowski <[hidden email]>
Revision: 2
News-Item-Format: 2.0
Display-If-Installed: x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse
Display-If-Installed: x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard

The Gentoo X11 Team is announcing the deprecation and future removal of
the legacy X11 input drivers x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse and
x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard. As of 2020-05-01 those input drivers
will be masked for removal.

These drivers have been deprecated for many years, first by
xf86-input-evdev and then by xf86-input-libinput.

The only use for those drivers remain in deployments which intentionally
opt-out of using udev, as both evdev and libinput require udev during
runtime, however given that upstream has already removed the Linux
support from xf86-input-keyboard, future X11 releases will no longer
support xf86-input-keyboard on Linux rendering those installation
infeasible to use without udev.

In order to ensure frictionless upgrade path for future X11 releases, we
have decided to deprecate those drivers that are not in active use by
pretty much any installation of Gentoo.

No action is required from end-users who are already using libinput (or
evdev). To check which driver is in use, one can use

    $ grep 'Using input driver' ~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log

for the systems running xorg-server as regular user (-suid
+elogind/+systemd) or by running

    # grep 'Using input driver' /var/log/Xorg.0.log

for those running xorg-server as root.

If however neither libinput or evdev is in use, one should append
'libinput' to the INPUT_DEVICES variable inside /etc/portage/make.conf
while removing 'keyboard' and 'mouse' if present, then update @world
with new USE flags

    # emerge -N @world

-- Piotr.

On 02/04/2020 17.26, Piotr Karbowski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Updated with what Ulm and Soup pointed out, while keeping the long
> sentence, that even it's long, is still beneficial to have. Revision
> bumped to 2, date bumped to tomorrow's.

My apology, s/Soup/Soap/.

-- Piotr.

Re: News item: Deprecation and removal of legacy X11 input drivers.

Gordon Pettey
On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 10:27 AM Piotr Karbowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
while keeping the long sentence, that even it's long, is still beneficial to have

Split it for grammatical correctness and ease of human parsing.

The only use for those drivers remain in deployments which intentionally
opt-out of using udev, as both evdev and libinput require udev during
runtime, however given that upstream has already removed the Linux

Replace with "runtime. Given that upstream"

support from xf86-input-keyboard, future X11 releases will no longer
support xf86-input-keyboard on Linux rendering those installation

installations should be plural

infeasible to use without udev.